Catch and despatch

limeyangler

Hi all,

Hesitated posting this, but then thought.....why? We all (well most) do it.

I think its important that there is no doubt in Jack's mind how meat gets to the table.

I have been trying to teach him about why we kill fish and other animals, we had months of debate why hunters were ok to shoot deer but it was not ok to throw rocks at them......some pretty philosophical debates ensued with my 4 year old :)

Anyhoo, Jack has been given his own tackle box for Xmas and is loving having his own gear. He was very excited to see he had his own stringer. He caught the only walleye last night and was very excited to put it on the stringer. When we were leaving he insisted on killing it so it did not "flap" as this is "not kind".

Catch and despatch

and some less violent imagery from last night

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

My friends father who taught me alot about pickerel fishing always told me to kill the fish right away if its a keeper and if you don't have a livewell. Makes sense, if you know its going to die, may as well put it out of its mysery right away.

Looks like your lab is just like mine, looking and waiting for any opportunity to jump out of the boat.

Good for you it is not a crime to harvest a few for the table. It is a reward to those that pay lot's of money to get to the point where they are fishing to get a reward of a fresh caught dinner.

Art

I beleive it is important to teach kids about conservation, but to also teach them where our food comes from, teach young enough and they will be successful in both aspects, knowing which size fish are best for eating is key to the survival of the fishery

Thanks to your wonderful postings, I must say that I'm privileged to feel as if I'm growing up along with Jack, he's got a great life ahead of him!

I beleive it is important to teach kids about conservation, but to also teach them where our food comes from, teach young enough and they will be successful in both aspects, knowing which size fish are best for eating is key to the survival of the fishery

True story: About 35 years ago I was taking one of my nature rambles, as much as to avoid an afternoon with my ex-wife's family as any other reason. I found a dead ring-billed gull, and as it was banded I picked it up and took down the number. Finally got back to the out-law's place and said I needed to make a phone call to the Canadian Wildlife Service. My ex's niece, too prim and proper for her own good, asked me why, so I told her. "EEEW!" she shrieked, "You picked up a dead animal with your HANDS?!" She was eating a burger at the time, so I seized the opportunity; "Well," I replied "Right now you're putting a dead animal in your mouth." The screams from everyone were quite entertaining, and my ex didn't speak to me for a while.

Thanks to your wonderful postings, I must say that I'm privileged to feel as if I'm growing up along with Jack, he's got a great life ahead of him!

True story: About 35 years ago I was taking one of my nature rambles, as much as to avoid an afternoon with my ex-wife's family as any other reason. I found a dead ring-billed gull, and as it was banded I picked it up and took down the number. Finally got back to the out-law's place and said I needed to make a phone call to the Canadian Wildlife Service. My ex's niece, too prim and proper for her own good, asked me why, so I told her. "EEEW!" she shrieked, "You picked up a dead animal with your HANDS?!" She was eating a burger at the time, so I seized the opportunity; "Well," I replied "Right now you're putting a dead animal in your mouth." The screams from everyone were quite entertaining, and my ex didn't speak to me for a while.

LOL! Great story, I love when you get to do that kind of thing to people :D

LOL! Great story, I love when you get to do that kind of thing to people :D

Once, she also refused to eat some nice fresh tomatoes that my father had brought over from his own garden, because according to her they had been grown in dirt. Yeah, and the ones you buy at the store were just magicked up out of thin air by the food fairy. :wallbash: After that I was hoping that she would just starve to death, but no such luck.