Mono recommendations

bigcreekdad

Sunline Super Natural Mono... best i've used and cheap ! $10 for a 330 spool

Still have to try that, I was impressed with Seguar Senshi when I fished it. But also hear good things about Sunline, there Fluorobarbon is #1 and there braids are pretty nice too.

Trilene big game is great line !!!! Have been using it for 20yrs !!!! The great thing about big game is you can always drop down a size and not usually have to worry its tough and stands up great especially for trolling I find !!!! But as Brian said aka misfish I used ande line for years too and it was always great too ....

Trilene big game is great line !!!! Have been using it for 20yrs !!!! The great thing about big game is you can always drop down a size and not usually have to worry its tough and stands up great especially for trolling I find !!!! But as Brian said aka misfish I used ande line for years too and it was always great too ....

It was when I hooked a 5lb brown on 8lb big game, he wrapped around a tree and I brought both the tree and the fish to the bank, that I realized thats some dang tough stuff!

What is everyone using their mono rigs for? I only use it floating or for topwaters. Otherwise I'm throwing floro.

I use it on one rod only. The rod is my spinnerbaits/buzzbait rod. I prefer the stretch of it for both Techniques.

I use mostly braid but I am trying a mainline floro for a crankbait/jerkbait rod this year.

There are a good bunch of monofilaments on the market. I have been using Berkley Sensation(clear) for a number of years now and I really like it. It's not a monofilament but a copolymer line.

Trilene XL is still a great line. It's elasticity makes it a very forgiving line. I would match it with a long stiff rod and use it for short line situations.

4 lb test Nanofil does cast further than 4 lb mono but it is not as forgiving as mono. I've used both Nanofil and mono during the same day of fishing and fishing results were similar so even though Nanofil is white, the 4 lb test is thin enough to not bother the fish. I have to retie my hook more often with the Nanofil.

I'm giving fluorocarbon another try. It's Berkley 4 lb test Trilene professional grade. It's a tad thinner than 4 lb test Sensation at .007" and it is a bit weaker when I break it with my hands. It still is stronger than 2 lb test mono that I often use. So far, I've had terrible results with fluorocarbon line and I kind of regret buying the fluorocarbon pro grade. If it's as good as 3 lb test mono.....I will use it when I want a sinking line.

Yes....Berkley Big Game is strong but it is also larger than other lines of the same weight class. Might as well use Original Stren which is the same size but much cheaper and limper than Big Game. The reason that Stren is so cheap is due to the fact that it has more irregularities throughout it's length. However, never below the marked weight class. It's hard to find clear Stren. I only use clear lines unless it's a braid or a fused line.

We have to be careful of what we buy and not get carried away by advertising and opinions from people who don't even look closely at the packages. There are monos, copolymers, fluorocarbon. Some lines are harder than other lines but with the hardness comes the loss of manageability, increased memory and loss of casting distance. All lines touted at being stronger than others just have a larger diameter....no mystery there. When using very fine clear lines, I have seen no difference in catch results between monos, copolymers, fluorocarbons, braids or fused lines. Another thing....fused lines are thinner than braided lines.

To add a bit of spice to the discussion......I hate fluorocarbon.....even though I am going to try out some Berkley 100% pro grade in 4 lb test. I've tried a few different fluorocarbon lines over the years and I have had terrible results. Yes....I can tie my own knots and I know many of them and I use them all when I need to use them.

Not a fan of flouro as a main line either. Tried it once, was quickly removed and tossed in the garbage.

agreed 100%! I switched all my reels to various braids some with flouro leaders, and one ultralight rod with mono. After numerous attempts with flouro i finally said never again! Way too much time wasted on the water swearing and stressing...

I only used it for high clarity water when targeting eyes. Usually 10-12lb test. And would never put it on my baitcaster again. I dont know why, but cant go a dozen casts without getting a nest.

Agreed!That's why most of us love braid on a baitcaster. I would never change line on them.IMO.