Algonquin Brookies Off The Beaten Track

solopaddler

For me the true harbinger of spring is ice out in Algonquin Park.

Winter weary muscles strain under the heft of a pack as you pick your way along a wet portage trail. The rich smell of earth and fallen leaves waft in your nostrils as you plod along. There is little new growth, yet the forest seems alive and reborn. Being a part of it all is panacea for the soul. This is where I belong, it is my Church. 

Recently I was able to share this experience with a good friend and fellow board member. We set up a comfortable base camp and did day trips into several small, isolated lakes, none of which had groomed trails leading into them. It was bushwhacking at its finest.

Fish are always a bonus on these trips and we did catch a few. None were large, but that didn't matter.

Here are some images:

End Of The Trail

AlgonquinMay2013001.jpg 

Fresh Bear Scat

AlgonquinMay2013004.jpg

Struggling

A Comfortable Camp

AlgonquinMay2013007.jpg

AlgonquinMay2013025.jpg

Camp Cuisine

AlgonquinMay2013022.jpg

AlgonquinMay2013024.jpg

Ascending A Steep Hill In Search Of Trout

AlgonquinMay2013027.jpg

AlgonquinMay2013026.jpg

The Wolves Were Busy

AlgonquinMay2013028.jpg

AlgonquinMay2013029.jpg

Our Pulses Quicken When We Spy The Lake

AlgonquinMay2013030.jpg

Success!

Picture Perfect

AlgonquinMay2013020.jpg

Slippery!

AlgonquinMay2013015.jpg

AlgonquinMay2013019.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, Cheers, Mike

Poor guy looked WINDED on that portage! haha.

There's more to the story actually. I threw my back out badly on the very first portage carrying my pack and the canoe (getting old sucks btw). But I still left Julian in my dust. Sometimes you just have to suck it up. That's where the weak link comment came from in the video LOL!

(He's going to kill me now I know it :D )

Thanks for the report Mike , was waiting for this one ! I just got back from a similar trip and agree with you 100% about being in the bush and camping/fishing for trout come spring time . It is an experience like no other with all the smells , sights and of course the trout :good:

Wasn't sure if you were going to write up anything on this little foray into the park considering all the other bigger adventures you have planned, but thanks.

First off thanks for the great company, as you mentioned being out there in the park is like my church, its needed for the soul. My first trip into the park was in 1978 with a bunch of highschool buddy's, and I have been going pretty much every year since. LOL you probably would never be able to tell watching that video .... talk about gassed ... those friggen coolers certainly didn't help the cause, too much lazin around the house this winter ...

I am with Mike that I hate doing double carries so I tried not to leave anything behind.

Mike is a machine ... he carried a pack and the canoe .... thought he might be part cyborg ... and then he has the cahonees to light up a smoke as he waits for me to catch up.... :tease:

I must say the highlight was listening to the Leaf playoff game under the tarp after 7 hours of non stop rain and having a few refreshments.

Nice Mike! Was this the weekend of May 10th? I was in the park that weekend too and my trip turned more into a survival trip than a fishing trip ... ice cold water, freezing rain, blizzard, big lake waves, refuge in thick bush .. lol.... and I think due to the lake stratification effect not one fish was interested in a bite... I will do a report soon ..

thanks for sharing

Miro