vacationing in atlantic provinces

super dave

I’ll be vacationing in the atlantic provinces early august, hopping from place to place, mostly national parks. so far, we have booked fundy national park and Cavendish. I’m researching some fishing opportunities as I type but if anyone has any stories to share, I would love to hear them. Seeing as I’ll have my two kids with me, I don’t think I can do anything too complicated but if someone knows a small river or small lake with brookies I would appreciate the direction or any other fishing opportunity.

Also, has anyone done a boat charter where they take you out in groups and you fish for cod? I remember seeing that on a fishing show once and thought it might be a good way to take my 5 year old out for a few hours.

Thanks in advance.

If you want a real east coast vacation, hop on the ferry in halifax, and head over to NFLD! The real east coast is on the island! You have to go there to understand how different it is! You will not regret it, I guarantee it!

S.

My wife and kids and I spent a glorious week in PEI looking out over the Northumberland strait, it was awesome. During the week we went lighthouse gazing, we went inside some incredible light houses and saw some great history. We also did a day trip to the North Cape and did the hiking trail, followed by a great meal in the restaurant.

The national park was a good time as well checking out the dunes and swimming. We also did a day fishing trip for cod (I think it was Wades deep sea fishing), visited the warfs for fresh seafood and did many walks out at low tide.

To sum it up, there was so much to do we hardly had enough time for all of it.

Best trip I've even taken, better than Costa Rica!

Edited by muskymatt

If you want a real east coast vacation, hop on the ferry in halifax, and head over to NFLD! The real east coast is on the island! You have to go there to understand how different it is! You will not regret it, I guarantee it!

S.

I agree, but the ferry leaves from N. Sydney----you'd be waiting a loooong time in Halifax :)

S.

you hit the nail on the head Sinker, PEI, Cape Breton etc are great, but NFLD is another world, don't miss it

we went jigging for cod in Rocky Harbour with Frank Snow, reasonable price, lots of fish, it was a blast

PEIBR.jpg

I often say when showing this photo Guess where I got this brookie?No one seems to remember that the soil in PEI is red. I caught quite a few this size range in the Bonshaw River in Bonshaw Provincial Park.

http://www.tourismpei.com/provincial-park/bonshaw

I got my permit somewhere just up the road at a gas station.

Theres lots of creeks with brookies, especially in cape breton, if you find a cold creek chances are it has trout. If you want to spend a day on the beach, enjoying the highest tides in the world while catching stripers from shore, then the grand pre beach gets my vote. The water is only fishable about 6 hours a day since the tides are so drastic, but while you're waiting you can play in the mud, search for crabs, watch the sandpipers, and have a great slice of pie from the evangeline restaurant! It's about an hour and a half drive north of halifax, just next to the town of wolfville, if you decide to go let me know and I'll give you a few tips :)

You walk the streams with a hook or a small spinner tipped with a worm and hope to get some brookies, but August is generally viewed as being late in the season. If the mackerel are running you can get them off the wharfs, and can also generally pull up some perch as well if you use a worm. There are some inland lakes that have bass populations. Don't forget that the St John River has a Musky population as well. I also think there as some ponds around halifax that are stocked with bows that can be fished with spinners.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

I'm also visiting the Maritimes in August....I'll be visiting my brother who lives in northern NB. It's been 20 years since visiting PEI and the Cabot trail, so we're going there also. Halifax is also a nice place to visit, Citadel hill has a lot of history, and the harbourfront is gorgeous.

You can fish for mackerel during the day and squid (at night) at the Canso causeway (the bridge that connects Nova Scotia mainland to cape Breton) as you cross onto cape Breton you'll see a big concrete pier on the right Hand side. There's also lots of parking there. I'll be there around the same time (getting married there aug 9th). As said before...almost all the brooks and rivers have brook trout. Be sure you carefully read the regs for any of the larger rivers as they can be very confusing. You also don't need a license to fish in any tidal waters.