Man Survives Bear Attack

Big Cliff

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/man-survives-vicious-bear-attack-in-northern-ontario-1.1278336

Something not adding up here.

The bear attacks out of nowhere, dog and bear get into it - Man runs into his house and makes phone calls - next thing is the bear chases the guy 40 meters then drags him into the bush? So, the guy was safe in his house and goes back outside? This guy deserves the Darwin award!

I'm sorry. I know it's a serious thing but I can't help but imagine how ugly those two women must have been...

That.. Or they where cougars. Like me, bears a petrified of cougars. They are very dangerous and un-predictable.

Okay, well there is more to the story than the above linked article. Unfortunately, the dog died and the guy ran into the house to get away from the bear and the bear followed him in so he ran out again with the bear chasing and got mauled until the two women in the car showed up.

Here is the full article:

http://www.timminspress.com/2013/05/12/man-injured-in-bear-attack

According to what I heard on the news last night, the bear was hunted down & killed after the attack.

As for the dog, I remember reading an article and it claimed alot of the troubles come during a bear encounter when the dog goes after the bear, then the human tries to help the pooch and the bear then turns on him.

There are plenty of bear huggers here on this site that will come to the defense of the bear. This topic has gotten pretty heated in years past.

ah yes, you mean the type of people who demanded that the spring bear hunt be cancelled which has resulted in far more nuisance bears and close encounters which in turn means more problem bears than ever are being shot before deadly encounters occur? hunting is a valuable means of wildlife management. i just wish those who have never stepped foot outside the city limits could understand this.

it's too bad he didn't have a firearm to deal with the problem animal before it killed his dog and endangered the mans life.

ah yes, you mean the type of people who demanded that the spring bear hunt be cancelled which has resulted in far more nuisance bears and close encounters which in turn means more problem bears than ever are being shot before deadly encounters occur? hunting is a valuable means of wildlife management. i just wish those who have never stepped foot outside the city limits could understand this.

it's too bad he didn't have a firearm to deal with the problem animal before it killed his dog and endangered the mans life.

This is absolutely dead on. I'm from Timmins and know someone that knows this guy. He ran out of his cabin once the bear chased him because the bear climbed in through the window of his cabin. This bear was freakishly aggressive and I'm afraid this is going to happen more this year because of the late winter, and lack of food for the OVERPOPULATION!!!! of bears in our area. I know myself for sure I will be keeping my shotgun and slugs close by to me every day I'm on the water or in the bush this year.

Those words dont sound reasurring Tayzak15. I fish in the bush and work (often alone..work) in the bush and I cant shake the whole "bear" thing. I hate that I cant get it outta my head when at work. Ive seen tracks a few times at work and this certain area (anything Hwy 115/35 East, same lateral as the Petro Can. and Country Style) makes me nervous.

Happened to me in '95 , not to this extent , but had it not been for a dog ( Doberman Pinscher )

the result may very well have been different for me...

I am not afraid of them nor do I want to hug one

I just gained a little more respect , as for the ugly cougars ... definately more afraid of those , wouldn't hug one no disrespect ;)

Those words dont sound reasurring Tayzak15. I fish in the bush and work (often alone..work) in the bush and I cant shake the whole "bear" thing. I hate that I cant get it outta my head when at work. Ive seen tracks a few times at work and this certain area (anything Hwy 115/35 East, same lateral as the Petro Can. and Country Style) makes me nervous.

Happened to me in '95 , not to this extent , but had it not been for a dog ( Doberman Pinscher )

the result may very well have been different for me...

I am not afraid of them nor do I want to hug one

I just gained a little more respect , as for the ugly cougars ... definately more afraid of those , wouldn't hug one no disrespect ;)

Yeah usually I am never too worried but with this long lasting winter up north and the bears already awake there will be a lack of a food source at least for a while. Hopefully I will never have to use the gun, but I am going to keep it by my side when I'm out alone or with other ppl camping just to be safe this year because I have a bad feeling it will be a bad season for bears. I have never had to do this before, but I am taking extra precautions this year especially after learning about this bear climbing into the guys cabin to attack him.

or bear spray at least.

I'm not sure the statistics show that there have been more attacks since the cancelation of the spring hunt. Freak incidents will always happen, not sure anyone can blame this on politics.

or bear spray at least.

I'm not sure the statistics show that there have been more attacks since the cancelation of the spring hunt. Freak incidents will always happen, not sure anyone can blame this on politics.

I'm not too sure if attacks have increased, but bear sightings have definitely increased. Often the ones that wander into towns, or you can see out in the open are the ones that would usually get hunted down. Now with this late winter, lack of food and increasing population I have a bad feeling bears will be much more aggressive this year.

The dog may have saved his life as the breed does not back down. But had it of been a different breed of dog you bet he would come running back to the owner once the bear has had enough of it and started chasing the dog. So now you are luring the bear towards you. Unless the dog is highly trained, I would be keeping it on the leash. Heck I'm not even bringing my lab up north anymore after witnessing her getting eaten alive by mosquitos.

This is absolutely dead on. I'm from Timmins and know someone that knows this guy. He ran out of his cabin once the bear chased him because the bear climbed in through the window of his cabin. This bear was freakishly aggressive and I'm afraid this is going to happen more this year because of the late winter, and lack of food for the OVERPOPULATION!!!! of bears in our area. I know myself for sure I will be keeping my shotgun and slugs close by to me every day I'm on the water or in the bush this year.

It is getting out of hand one of my neighbours on the lake now deceased was attacked.. He was lucky to have his dog with him in the back yard of his camp... He ended up killing the bear with a single axe blow through it's skull.. I always carry an axe in the bush now!