Min size for crappie

Wow, I didn't know that there was a min size for crappie in the kawarthas...

Summary.... http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001336.pdf

Page number 85 doesn't mention size

however in the full regulations...

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2007-237/FULLText.html

Schedule 1 it says min of 25 cm's

If it's not in the exceptions for Zone 17 then there are no length limits... If there was, that's where it would be.

This is stated under the General Fishing Regulations PDF on page 8.

Edited by BillM

You are reading 2 totally separate sets of regulation. One is federal, the other provincial. Federal regs only apply on federal jurisidiction lands and waterways.

Hmm, unless I can't read, the first link is to the MNR Ontario regs(the common ones everybody reads) and the second one is Ontario fishery regulations, absolutely nothing to do with Federal.

You are reading 2 totally separate sets of regulation. One is federal, the other provincial. Federal regs only apply on federal jurisidiction lands and waterways.

I could be completely wrong on this but I thought that the canal systems (Trent - Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay and Rideau - Kingston to Ottawa) both fell under the Federal Government (Parks Canada). So these Federal regulations would apply on those bodies of water, would they not? :dunno: I've only ever seen the MNR and OPP patrolling those waterways.

Just an observation, borrowed from another website..., Ignorance of the law is no excuse, however we have a profession that deals only in the law.

Kind of ironic.

BTW this is meant to be a fun, tongue in cheek observation and not the catalyst for a diatribe on how unfair this appears to be.

Ya'll better read para 2. (1) and (a) of the second link. The common MNR Regs are not the end to end all regulations.

• 2. (1) These Regulations apply in Ontario.

Speaking of those regs, I'd like to see how many people would get busted for this, lol!!!!

34. (1) No person shall sport fish during the period between sunset and sunrise.

Hmm, unless I can't read, the first link is to the MNR Ontario regs(the common ones everybody reads) and the second one is Ontario fishery regulations, absolutely nothing to do with Federal.

The second link is a GOC link for the federal justice dept, pertaining to the Fisheries Act. Act being assented by the Governor General , not Lieutenent Governor, under the advice of the Minister for DFO. If you look at some of the season dates (ie Pike and walleye cosing Apr 15th), they don't jive with provincial dates. One date for all zones.The link is also for a document dated in 2007. Even the MNR made numerous changes to the Regs in 2008.

You would be amazed at just how much duplication and contradiction there is between the Feds and the province. Even between different govt agencies at the same level of govt..

The second link is a GOC link for the federal justice dept, pertaining to the Fisheries Act. Act being assented by the Governor General , not Lieutenent Governor, under the advice of the Minister for DFO. If you look at some of the season dates (ie Pike and walleye cosing Apr 15th), they don't jive with provincial dates. One date for all zones.The link is also for a document dated in 2007. Even the MNR made numerous changes to the Regs in 2008.

You would be amazed at just how much duplication and contradiction there is between the Feds and the province. Even between different govt agencies at the same level of govt..

I know, there's discrepancies, and the top line says...Regulations are current to 2013-04-16 and last amended on 2011-07-29..left and right hands are shaking but not each other if you know what mean.. I'd also bet that if you threw that one to the MNR, they would have to go for a triple dose of rogaine, no hair left to scratch.

the laws have all kinds of discrepancies

you must not attempt to catch more than your daily possession limit

and culling has been made legal

you wan some unreal reading look at the regs at the mnr office as opposed to what is distributed in tackle shops

Ok, so I think I have it all figured out....

The link I posted ARE for the Ontario Fishing Regulations (OFR) not anything federal. These are the law in ontario, has nothing to do with federal waterways.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2007-237/FullText.html

The summary that we go by as in the book is just a summary.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.html

There are however variations as linked here..

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/273315.html

For zone 17... http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/273385.pdf

it states there is NO minimum size for crappie.

Apparently it is possible for there to be discrepancies between the online summary, printed summary and the actual law. Nice. :)

btw here is the email thread I had....

From Jedi,

I have a question regarding the link you sent. In the one it mentions a min size for crappie in zone 17 but in the summary there is no mention of a minimum size.

From Mnr,

The answer is a bit complex but here's the basis. Many of the Schedules under the Ontario Fishery Regulations (OFR) have been changed by something called a Variation Order - its a procedural tool that lets MNR make changes to seasons and limits quickly but only if the rule is already established in the OFR.
All Variation Orders are available on the Regulations Summary site I linked you to earlier.
Hope this helps,

Personally, I like to eat the 8-10"ers best. I catch lots bigger, and eat them too, but those 8-10"erss are sweet!

I find crappies one of the easiest fish to fillet too. I did 30 a couple weeks ago in less than an hour, packaged and in the freezer. YUM!

S