NF Portable generators

Looking to mine the collected wisdom of the OFC community.

I'm looking to get a portable generator and have a few ideas in mind. Needs to be around 60 lbs or under, gasoline and relatively quiet. 2000 watts is probably fine for most needs (might need to power a 5000 btu window a/c unit but not often. This will be schlepped up and back and not left behind at the cabin.

Top of the list if I have the money is the Honda EU2000KC2. Yamahas seem to be as popular as the Hondas but maybe more $$.

Also see Champions are better priced and reviews look good for the 2000w inverter generator.

Is there another brand I'm missing that's reliable and quiet and doesn't cost too much or is it what I'm looking for going to hurt the pocketbook ?

tia,

WB

The quietest would be the Honda, the Yamaha a close 2nd. The Champion is cheaper but way, way louder. A noisy generator is extremely annoying. I own 2 Honda's, the 2000 watts and a 3800 watts. I would want to check closely to see that the 2000 will power your A/C.

If you plan on running an a/c unit, fridge, etc.... Look at something a bit larger. 3000 watts should do the job comfortably. It wont be running at full power constantly, the 2000 will be near capacity. Price is higher but you will only buy it once.

I have a hyundai 1000 watt generator(they also Make larger) from Wal mart for well over a year. It's an "inverter" type generator which means it does not need to run at super high RPM to produce "clean" power and hence is quieter.

Not as reliable as a honda but I got it on clearance for 1/4 the price. It is very quiet and works for me.

I have a 3500/4000 Hyundai generator I got at Walmart for $400 on sale and it's powerful and runs pretty quiet I was suprised and it can also run 220v as well and has a fairly decent sized gas tank too but those new smaller Yamaha gens are sure quiet I have heard and seen them run and they are sweet !!!! Good luck whatever you get

Unless you have access to a new 2013 Honda generator for a kick-but price, check out Kijiji and save dollars for slightly used Honda portable generators. Last year, I purchased a mint 2010 Honda EU2000i inverter generator with less than 12 hours running time for $950. No regrets whatsoever.

We beat on Honda 2000's at work and I'm shocked the abuse these little guys can take. I've driven 300km in the rain with them and at the end one pull and they start as if they were dry. If I were to buy one that was small, portable, and light it'd be a Honda 2000. As for the A/C thing thats something your gonna have to look into. Not so sure if they can handle that draw or not.

If the Leafs go all the way, will definitely need backup power for those warm June nights lol. They need to rattle Chara off his game, and Jagr, and Rask...

Good start for the Buds, just need to control those stupid turnovers which killed them Monday.

Another thought, if you know anyone going south across the border or can get there yuorself, the Honda EU2000 goes for around $900 + or - a bit. Just about half of waht you pay up here.

Been looking at this unit, can't believe the price difference up here.. It's not even close, lol

Been looking at this unit, can't believe the price difference up here.. It's not even close, lol

Even in Alaska they're only $1050.

I plan on getting one also.

Need a better genny for my camper and hopefully for building my cabin.

The cheap offshore one that sounds like someone shaking a 45 gallon drum 1/2 full of ball bearings is getting annoying. :D

Yeah, I basically use it to charge the trolling motor batteries in the boat (or run the AC on the camper if it's really hot) Don't need to hear that when you're drinking beers around the camp fire :)

Edited by BillM

Bowslayer,

Like someone mentioned, the price in the US is $900. That's where I got mine and what I paid. The $75 prep charge in the ad that you mention is a joke. All they do is unpack it, put oil and a bit of fuel in it. It might be worth the drive if you're saving $536.75 ($475 + 13%).

well the best price I could find up here on a new honda 2000w inverter generator was this one,the place is in gta

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-outdoor-outdoor-tools-storage-HONDA-GENERATOR-NEW-EU2000KC2-W0QQAdIdZ344905549QQfeaturedAdZtrue

Why the $1299, call it $1300 for the extra dollar + the $75 prep + the tax on all that. Drive south for the day and save.