Maui Jim sunglasses at Costco

Canuck

I just got a killer deal on a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at Costco (Ridgeway in Mississauga). $99 for polarized amber with glass lenses. The last pair I bought were similar and were $300 at Sunglasses Hut. They only had three styles, but one style was great for boating/fishing. I love the Maui Jim's and this is a great price even if they are older models.

Has Luxottica bought them out yet?

VP for Luxottica answer the question... "Why are sunglasses so expensive?" "Because we own most brands we can charge what we want." lol.

Sucks to be us paying $100's for products that often cost a couple dollars to make.

Trained puppets...

With money to burn

. Save $50.00 and buy a perfectly good pair of polarized glasses and enough saved for a few great lures. Or just go to the lost and found at the golf course and pick out a pair for free after they have been there for a few months. I have diabetes and have eyes very sensitive to bright sunlight. My op doc says $50.00 is plenty to spend, the other $250.00 is the cool factor x 250.

There are quite a few things like that. I would hate to add up the total I paid for what is in my tackle box! Anyway, its a good price for glass lens high quality sunglasses.

Trained puppets...

Didn't you buy a Lund Baron?? LOL..... anyway, there are lots of things we overpay for in life. I have had a pair of maui's for 5 years, and in that time they have replaced the lenses for free due to scratches, at no cost, and they replaced the same pair entirely when my youngest son ripped them in half for me one day. With no questions asked, after I was upfront with them as to what happened. I find them to be excellent sunglasses. I didn't pay anything close to $300 for mine either! To each their own, I will be heading in to costco to see about a spare set of Maui's! No doubt you regularily enjoy your indulgences too!

I've had my lenses replaced by the Maui Jim shop in Mississauga because of scratches as well.. I've got no issues spending the $$$ on a great set of sunglasses, I've only got one set of eyes :)

I bought a pair of Jim's in 1997. I finally broke the frame while shovelling snow, they were in the front pouch of my hoodie when I hit a patch of ice and the shovel stopped dead, right in my gut.

I can't complain about a pair of sun glasses that lasted almost 16 years! If my Costco membership was up to date, I'd be heading out to replace them...

HH

I agree... you only get one set of eyes, and glasses are not an item to cheap out on in my opinion. I have had a bunch of cheapie glasses before, and a few years back switched to Oakleys - I will never go back. The optics are far better, and they have been good with warranty claims too that were my own fault. $150-200 every 4-5 years is peanuts compared to the tackle and other stuff we buy for fishing! I currently have a pair of the fishing specific polarized ones - and they are awesome. Some people just can't keep a pair though (lost, broken, etc.) - if you are one of those, well ok, cheapies may be the route for you lol!

Pete

I purchased pair of Maui Jim Lagoon prescription sunglasses last year.

My only regret is not doing it years ago.

50 dollar sunglasses are like 50 dollar fishing rods.....ignorance is bliss.

Drop

I'm gonna leave that rod comment alone, simply because you are new here...

HH

I purchased pair of Maui Jim Lagoon prescription sunglasses last year.

My only regret is not doing it years ago.

50 dollar sunglasses are like 50 dollar fishing rods.....ignorance is bliss.

Drop

Well said Drop... This also holds true with the non polarized glasses although once you get a pair that are polarized, you probably will never get another pair that arent.

I have worn cheap sunglasses in the past and always found them to not be as clear and sometimes the lenses would project a roundness to an object. I have a pair of fishing specific Oakley straight jackets in the shallow blue iridium and they are designed for water about 10 feet deep and to take the glare off of the surface. Worth every penny IMO and I am actually planning on getting a new pair shortly. They have a few other lens styles so I might try the VR28's (supposed to brighten up greens and reds to help differentiate between fish and weed) or the deep blue iridium (designed for deeper water). Any Oakley lenses are top notch and if you read all of the technology that goes into them, you would understand why they are more than $50.00.

I have also used Maui Jim's in the past and would not hesitate on buying another pair especially at $100!!! I would still be wearing/using my old ones if I hadn't of left them at a restaurant 3 hours from my house... I noticed I left them there when we were about 10 minutes down the road but the driver of the car wouldn't turn around for them... Luckily at that point they were 3 years old and I usually buy a new pair every 3 years anyway...

Adam

Edited by Lape0019

Cheap sunglasses are bad for your eyes. If you are looking for quality then you pay for quality. If you haven't ever owned a pair of glasses that are optically correct and protect your eyes then you will not know what you are missing. My last lenses were prescription with photo grading and polarized were not cheap however they make a day in the sun a breeze without eye strain and protects my eyes from damage.

Art

Do you happen to know what model it was you bought? I've got a couple of pairs of Maui's and they're great sunglasses...might have to pick up another set.

The ones I got are are Lahainaluna model with tortoise shell arms with bronze utrathin glass lenses (which are bit heavier but better than polycarbonate for lasting and not scratching).

They are basically this shape except for the colour. The black ones are $339 at Sunglasses Hut.

http://www.sunglasshut.com/ca/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10102&urlLangId=-1&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&productId=50787&storeId=10154

The ones I got are are Lahainaluna model with tortoise shell arms with bronze utrathin glass lenses (which are bit heavier but better than polycarbonate for lasting and not scratching).

They are basically this shape except for the colour. The black ones are $339 at Sunglasses Hut.

http://www.sunglasshut.com/ca/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10102&urlLangId=-1&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&productId=50787&storeId=10154

Thanks those are pretty nice.

Greg

I just got a killer deal on a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at Costco (Ridgeway in Mississauga). $99 for polarized amber with glass lenses. The last pair I bought were similar and were $300 at Sunglasses Hut. They only had three styles, but one style was great for boating/fishing. I love the Maui Jim's and this is a great price even if they are older models.

You realize you just cost me $99...not often I spend that much for shades. Definitely nice and hopefully won't scratch as easy as the plastic ones. 2 year warranty to boot.

You realize you just cost me $99...not often I spend that much for shades. Definitely nice and hopefully won't scratch as easy as the plastic ones. 2 year warranty to boot.

Did you grab them from the Barrie Costco?

Thank you so much for the heads up bud! Grab myself a pair of the grey one yesterday and it's a steal!

Looks like it's $319.95 USD original at Sunglass Hut

http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/603429017583

For those in the area who are interested I was at the Markham Costco on Woodbine. I asked the lady and there were 2 more sets of grey left when I left at around noon yesterday.

Too bad I can't test drive it this weekend due to the groomy weather... my low light amber/brown set is taking the front seat.

That said I was so close to pulling the trigger on upgrading my amber set too...

Great find! Thanks again for sharing!