Provincial Park recommendation

Hey All,

I want to take my wife and kids camping for the first time. I grew up outdoors and loved camping but my wife and kids aren't exactly the outdoorsy types lol.

Can anyone suggest a good place for first timers?

I'm looking for a place where I'm not going to run into partying teenagers etc

Thanks in advance!

Dave

depends on what you are looking for but the parks tend to get more wilderness like the further north you go. How far do you want to travel, what are you looking for outside of a non party place?

Has anyone camped at craigleith or earl Rowe!

Earl Rowe isn't very nice as far as provincial parks go. The river is small and just won't do justice to the camping experience, IMO. Craigleith would be much better I think. Most of the other suggestions are good as well (in no particular order); Six Mile, Oastler, Killbear, Awenda, Bruce Peninsula National Park will all give you a solid camping experience.

Hope the family enjoys whatever you decide on.

Edited by SylvanOwner

You could go all the way to Temagami Dave... nice sand beach for the kids and the choice between no power and power sites in two areas of the park. Pending what you want.... and you choose to head that way... I can recommend the best sites depending on what you want as a site and how close to the comfort station or just a privy that you require.

Never camped at Craigleith myself but friends have and now avoid the place like the plaque. Noisy campers is all she remembers. ymmv.

+1 on Oastler, Awenda and Killbear. Although it's on the edge of your driving circle, I'd look into Arrowhead. Haven't camped there but from my winter visits there, it looks alike a nice campground and it's close to Huntsville if the family needs a break ;)

Algonquin would be far more "camping experience" than Balsam.

I don't know Wheatley.

Restoule is nice, though a little further than 3-4 hrs from where you are.

Have heard good things about Massasauga, though I have never been.

If you go to Algonquin, my suggestion would be to pass on Rock Lake. It has some great attributes but there are enough noisy campers to make it very annoying. Mew or Two Rivers would be good choices (more so Mew) although Two Rivers is very wide open with pretty well zero privacy.

Mew has a radio free as well although not sure how well that works out as sound just shoots across the lake/pond. I think the size of Mew and the fact that it's beside the highway make it seem less desirable. I really like it and it has access to several trails in close proximity and a field full of blueberries just waiting to be picked...

and there's the 'waterfall/rapids' on the Madawaska that makes for nice summer lounging

Yep... we've walked the trail from Mews to what ever the other campground is down the East end of the lake.. and it's a little further in on hwy 60 than Mews and Lake of 2 Rivers so should be quieter.

Just wish we could still fly in there... considering the area East of the Mews was a runway through the 60's /70's and caused less noise than the 10's of thousands of cars on hwy 60 !