Smokercraft Ultima 172 or Princecraft 172 WS?

Bigfisherman

After some measuring I'm sure I can fit a 17ft in the garage, so I'm looking at these 2 boats anyone have any experince with these boats? I will be upgrading from a 16ft. Looking for a fish /ski which both of these are the princecraft quality looks really good but is a little more pricey then the ultima.

Thanks

Thanks for the input, the garage is 9x8 so I think I'll be ok width & height wise. my current boat has a swing tounge thats about a foot out and the winch is not under the bow like the newer ones so I'm factoring that in. I found a pricecraft dealer thats willing to test fit first so it might be the princecraft.

Don't buy a Princecraft, I've had 3, Good boat in a pond but not in big water, they fall apart. Aluminum rots paint peals off. What they cover up with carpet and wood, you would be shocked for what you pay. Not saying others are any better. Bottom of there boats are to flat and can't take the waves. Keel of the front of the boat is way back from the nose, no boat in contact with the water, nose dips in the waves. Live-well over fills back into the boat. They make them to look pretty just like some lures us gullible fisherman buy that don't catch fish.

For what it's worth, I've been looking at Alumacraft. The Navigator has got my eye because of the big live-well in the front. Most boats now have small live-wells that they replaced with rod lockers down the middle. If you gots the money, I'd go Kingfisher or Stanley, now your talking. If you like, I can show you some pictures of under the floor, you would be shocked at the workman ship. Had the one boat in for rivet repair 4 times.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Don't buy a Princecraft, I've had 3, Good boat in a pond but not in big water, they fall apart. Aluminum rots paint peals off. What they cover up with carpet and wood, you would be shocked for what you pay. Not saying others are any better. Bottom of there boats are to flat and can't take the waves. Keel of the front of the boat is way back from the nose, no boat in contact with the water, nose dips in the waves. Live-well over fills back into the boat. They make them to look pretty just like some lures us gullible fisherman buy that don't catch fish.

For what it's worth, I've been looking at Alumacraft. The Navigator has got my eye because of the big live-well in the front. Most boats now have small live-wells that they replaced with rod lockers down the middle. If you gots the money, I'd go Kingfisher or Stanley, now your talking. If you like, I can show you some pictures of under the floor, you would be shocked at the workman ship. Had the one boat in for rivet repair 4 times.

Funny how you would own 3 and then decide to trash them...just sayin'.........If you want a boat for big water, then buy a big water boat.....lot's of them out there designed for that purpose.

I guess there are lemons in everything.I have had 2 Princecrafts and am looking to upgrade this spring to the Expedition DLX WS.I have no hesitation buying Princecraft.My familly has been useing them for decades and never had issues with them.Trade in value is high, and the sell fast second hand.Go Princecraft, No worries.

My good friend picked up the Smokercraft ProAngler 172 last year, loves it. In order to fit it in his garage, he had to cut the tongue afew more inches. That is with the swing tongue and the motor tilted down and turned....

He has maybe 3 inches of clearance front to back. On the trailer, he has about 1" on each side of the garage to fit through.

My good friend picked up the Smokercraft ProAngler 172 last year, loves it. In order to fit it in his garage, he had to cut the tongue afew more inches. That is with the swing tongue and the motor tilted down and turned....

He has maybe 3 inches of clearance front to back. On the trailer, he has about 1" on each side of the garage to fit through.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the garage!

The current issue of Boatguide magazine has a couple of boat tests that I did on two very similar hulls - the SmokerCraft Pro Angler 172 XL, and the Princecraft 200 WS.

I drove a 2013 Pro Angler 172 XL last August on a trip to the SmokerCraft/Starcraft plant (it was one of 10 boats I drove over a couple of days). You can link to the article on SmokerCraft's website by clicking here. Very nice boat, well laid out, rides quite well in rough water. The Ultima you're looking at is a higher-end model than the Pro Angler I drove, and perhaps a bit more versatile with a few added features like the flip-up seats in the rear casting deck. But in terms of ride, fit and finish, they're both going to be very close.

The Princecraft I wrote about was the 200 WS model, not the 170. Sorry, I don't have a link to the boat test, it's apparently not available online. My understanding is that apart from the additional length (another foot-and-a-half or so in the front deck, plus about another foot in the cockpit) and another inch of beam on the 20-footer, they're basically identical. The 20-footer was a very nice rig, and I have to say, very nicely finished. But again, that was the 20. I haven't driven their 170 WS so that's about as much as I can say.

On specs alone, the SmokerCraft is a little wider the the Princecraft (96 inches, versus 91) and weighs a bit more (1,350 pounds versus 1,166). That gives it a max HP rating of 150, compared to 115 for the 17-foot Princecraft. Aluminum thickness on the hull bottom is .100 for both .... sides are .80 for the SmokerCraft and .72 for the Princecraft. Fuel tank in the Smoker is 90 L, and 77 L in the Princecraft.

Both brands have fans and critics.

At the end of the day, you need to consider the dealership you're getting it from too. Are they convenient to get to? Do they have good hours? Check out their service bays - can you get something fixed quickly, or will you have to wait because they only have one mechanic or they don't stock many parts? That stuff matters - ask anyone who's hit a rock and had to wait for a repair at the height of bass season.

Hope that helps. Either way, you're looking at two very nice boats.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

What kind of power chocies do you have on these boats?

I have a 99 Smokercraft 178 with a Honda 150, originbally it had a Honda115. PM me if you want more info on my setup.

If you want to go closer to 50mph, get the Smokercraft with a 135-150. if you are looking for around 40mph, a 115 should get you there on both boats.

Bill

What kind of power chocies do you have on these boats?

I have a 99 Smokercraft 178 with a Honda 150, originbally it had a Honda115. PM me if you want more info on my setup.

If you want to go closer to 50mph, get the Smokercraft with a 135-150. if you are looking for around 40mph, a 115 should get you there on both boats.

Bill

For the princecraft max is 125hp most likely would be an optimax.

For the Smokercraft max is 150hp a merc/suzuki/etec might be avail depending where I get it from.

I'm going to wait till April and put my boat up for sale so ppl can water test it then go from there.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Edited by Bigfisherman

Fish Farmer makes a GREAT point about boats these days.

These STUPID rock lockers that run up the boat. They remove the ability to have a PROPER sized live well, often cutting the live well duties into two.

Worst part is, these stupid rod lockers often can't take a rod longer than about 7'4" (or less).

FF, one of the main reasons I refurbed my lund, as opposed to buying new (cost was very similar) was the poor layouts of boats these days.

Having a full sized, 40 gallon (or so) livewell in the casting deck, with a bottom draining sysem right out the bottom of the boat (no hoses) is where it's at.

Unfortunately boat manufacturers have convinced many buyers that having a small rod lock and two small livewells is better.

nutz.

I owned a princecraft in the past and I was always tightening something and it was rough wet ride, I also owned a alumacraft navigator and it was a great boat and regret selling it to this day.

As you mention, I was always tightening the screws in the boat till they stripped then had to make a new hole. You made my day about your comment about the Alumacraft

Fish Farmer makes a GREAT point about boats these days.

These STUPID rock lockers that run up the boat. They remove the ability to have a PROPER sized live well, often cutting the live well duties into two.

Worst part is, these stupid rod lockers often can't take a rod longer than about 7'4" (or less).

FF, one of the main reasons I refurbed my lund, as opposed to buying new (cost was very similar) was the poor layouts of boats these days.

Having a full sized, 40 gallon (or so) livewell in the casting deck, with a bottom draining sysem right out the bottom of the boat (no hoses) is where it's at.

Unfortunately boat manufacturers have convinced many buyers that having a small rod lock and two small livewells is better.

nutz.

A limit of Bass or any species of fish in those small Live-wells is crazy. Try and put a 50" Muskie in one to revive or any big fish. These boat company's should have an option thing, big live-well on big rod locker. I like to use a live-well as a Big cooler sometimes.

Ive got a lowe 165 wt pro series, came with a bow mount wireless tm, 90 merc efi, lowerance fish finder, galvanized bunk trailer with swing tounge and roller guides, full foul weather top, travel cover, two live wells, center rod holder, lots of storage, its been great in rough water (lake nipissing is my primary lake) 26,000 out the door

Boat layout is a personal choice. I have almost no use for a livewell and never use a baitwell, but want all the rod storage I can get.

I'm with you Rob, I don't use live bait and never keep fish.

My baitwell holds my tool box and my large livewell holds my boat bumpers, spare prop, ropes and whatever ever else I need to carry.

I can vouch for the durability of Smokercraft products. I bought a new 1998 promag and still enjoy it. The interior still looks very much like the day I bought it. It is always gararge kept. I've never had a factory problem and I roll with it often. To this day the holeshot I get with the transom makes me smile everytime. Its time for a new one and a Milenia is on the burner.

i bought a new princecraft xpedition 170 side console last year and absolutely love the boat. i have 115 merc 4 stroke on it and when im alone in the boat i can do about 46-48 mph. with 2 guys and fully loaded about 42-44 mph.

very dry ride, the hull design on the xpedition really pushes the water out to the sides and it handles some pretty big water very well. I fish on lake ontario for salmon through july and august and it handles it very well.

overall i have been very impressed with princecraft in there design and i will checking them out again when it comes time for a new boat.

i would also check out the alumacraft line up of boats as well as they seem to be making some headway in the market and i checked out there boats at the spring fishing and boat show and i have to say i liked what i saw.