OPP Warning people to stay off the ice. as its thin...

jedimaster

It's now only a matter of time till some idiot drives his truck out there to see just how thin it is.

Wait for it .......... <cue drum roll>

They already did near Virginia Beach Craig.. I kinda blame the Township and the OPP because they ticketed people for parking on the road for more than 3 hours. It forces people to take a chance. Not saying it's right, but it's human nature. Residents have to get used to people ice fishing Simcoe, they don't own the lake. It's like the city folk move to the country and complain about the manure smell. Politicians don't care about fisherman, but when they want money to build big arenas for hockey it's OK because thats their sport. We, us sport fisherman are trash idiots

Just saying

Edited by Fish Farmer

someone just did that on eels lake and killed his sister when the jeep went through

I was under the impression that alcohol was a factor in that incident.

It is unfortunate about the lack of acceptance of fishermen. I was told by a cottager not to park on a cottage road up in Haliburton. If I were taking up half the road, sure I can understand that, but we'd parked off the road halfway into a snowy ditch. Too bad.

was out on my lake sledding (sturgeon) lots of ice on saturday but wasn't stopping as it was inconsistent from 3 inches to 6 inches and of course stayed away from traditional bad spots.

parks canada has really been playing with the scugog river dam logs in and out over lasr several weeks, last thursday dam had one sluice open with little water and saturday they removed enough logs that both sluices were torrent this will have an effect on ice as far as moorings marina in the channel use common sense and don't travel alone

How about they use some of that "Do-Re-Mi" collected from hunting and fishing licencing fees and throw a little gravel here and there to make a few parking spots. Wait a minute, I forgot, they steal that cash to fund other asinine projects and/or line pockets of sorts.

I would say it has affected the ice much further, down into the northern arm of the lake.

The channel remained wide open for a long time.

would have to guess that there playing with the dam in fenlon falls as well, was suprised to see ice cover right to bobcaygeon last weekend usually anything from birchpoint to little bob can be wide open in the middle, never froze at all last year

They already did near Virginia Beach Craig.. I kinda blame the Township and the OPP because they ticketed people for parking on the road for more than 3 hours. It forces people to take a chance. Not saying it's right, but it's human nature. Residents have to get used to people ice fishing Simcoe, they don't own the lake. It's like the city folk move to the country and complain about the manure smell. Politicians don't care about fisherman, but when they want money to build big arenas for hockey it's OK because thats their sport. We, us sport fisherman are trash idiots

Just saying

I hear what your saying and I used to agree until my son started playing soccer. Saw tons of inconsiderate people partially blocking people's driveways with there parked cars bacause they where do lazy to park around the corner and walk 100yds. Same happens in ice fishing scenario's. If I had some idiot block my driveway once or park in such a way that it made it difficult for me see oncoming traffic while going in our out of my own driveway..I'd be the first person phoning to have people towed. I don't think you can blame the residents for wanting safe access to and from there own driveways. And I won't even talk about the trash some idiots leave behind.

I believe the municipality should be solving the problem by adding safe parking options. On Hadden Rd they could certainly find space to put in parking somewhere and some garbage pails while they are at it.

What kind of penalty would I possibly get if I do need to get rescued? Planning on hitting Simcoe Thursday.

Weather Network forecast for Beaverton, Ontario:

Today: 0 degrees, partly sunny

Wednesday: +3, showers

Thursday: +2, sun

Wear a floater suit if I were you!! Not sure about the fines or fees, but that is not a good recipe for building ice.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

It was a little more of a good faith thing as we could see he wasn't really backing down. At first we thought it was just an angry resident trying to kick us off 'Their lake' (not the first time I've had that happen) so we kept our words to ourself and the gentleman started coming over.

We talked to him for a bit and were very polite as he told us two of the locals had called to police because they were concerned about the thin ice. We explained that we both had float coats, had been doing ice checks and were keeping an eye open for fault lines.

When he started asking if he had ever fallen in before, if we were keeping anything and if I had my licence (all of which were in order) I could see he was looking for something to nab us on or to have the upper hand. It was getting dark anyways so we politly removed ourself from the lake to prevent further hassle.

Really bugs me sometimes but what can you do?

It was a little more of a good faith thing as we could see he wasn't really backing down. At first we thought it was just an angry resident trying to kick us off 'Their lake' (not the first time I've had that happen) so we kept our words to ourself and the gentleman started coming over.

We talked to him for a bit and were very polite as he told us two of the locals had called to police because they were concerned about the thin ice. We explained that we both had float coats, had been doing ice checks and were keeping an eye open for fault lines.

When he started asking if he had ever fallen in before, if we were keeping anything and if I had my licence (all of which were in order) I could see he was looking for something to nab us on or to have the upper hand. It was getting dark anyways so we politly removed ourself from the lake to prevent further hassle.

Really bugs me sometimes but what can you do?

We'll be back ;) can't wait!

Do you think anyone from cp24 or the local police force has even set foot on the ice to check it?

I just got off the lake. Found nothing less than 6", and up to 8" everywhere I went. I was over 3km off shore. Walking of course. That ice isn't going anywhere. If anything, this warm spell will help smooth it out, and make more ice.

Ice freezes much faster than it thaws. What we lose in a day, will re-freeze in an hour.

S.