Report- Early-ice walleye

Rod Caster

Everything I own that was facing East today is covered with ice, including the backside of my jacket and toque. The winds were fairly strong and the freezing rain was persistent. Ice was solid at 4" to 6". The fishing was slow at first but the action sneaked up on us and the next thing we knew, we filled our combined limit of 6 walleye under 43 cms (Joey has a conservation license).

We fished in 8-15 FOW, most fish coming from 12 FOW with minnows or jigging spoons. It was a good start to the winter walleye season!

100_0080-1_zpsfd44209d.jpg

100_0081-1_zps08d45415.jpg

100_0084-1_zps453113bd.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

I am Soooooooooooo envious! Good going, and Great pics! thanks for sharing.

... on the other hand, I did get in 18 holes of golf (my other passion) on Friday, here in Kitchener,

and didn't even freeze ... so that is good. ;)

Edited by JimC

Good job man! Nice pike!

Sorry I didnt make it out after splake on Sat, went out for walleye instead.

I was out for walleye on Sunday as well, we as well got rained on, but the fishing was good. Didnt do as good as you, but brought home dinner.

Here's a pic of my new setup: Clam Vista, Lowrance sonar, and my Mr.Heater. I don't want to leave the shack now haha

imag0668q.jpg

imag0670c.jpg

Edited by LucG

Thanks again everyone!

Luc: Nice setup man thumbsup_anim.gif That Mr. Heater looks much warmer than my single element propane heater.

Did you get a good deal on the tent?

Yeah, it does a pretty good job at warming up my shelter. I think I paid around $160 for the tent. I'm glad I went with this purchase, not only is it cheaper then spending the $500 on the fish trap I wanted, but the weight and size is alot easier to handle, especially for bringing it indoors to melt off all the ice from the frezing rain lol

Inside it measures 6'x6', but the hub style, there is alot of "elbow" room. Happy with the purchase overall, now we'll see if it can take the beating I'm about to give it lol

Once the ice stiffens up again, we have to make it out together.

hey LucG,

I was thinking of getting the same Pop up. How was the set up? did you do it by yourself or did you have a partner. I don't have a sled/ATV so I'll be dragging it out. Thank you in advance.

Nick

It takes literally 30 secondes to pop up, alone, plus the time to anchor it down if needed. It was a little tricky the first few times, simply cause I didnt want to force anything and break it before I had it on the ice. But after puting it up and taking it down a few times, it got alot easier. Also nice and light.

It takes literally 30 secondes to pop up, alone, plus the time to anchor it down if needed. It was a little tricky the first few times, simply cause I didnt want to force anything and break it before I had it on the ice. But after puting it up and taking it down a few times, it got alot easier. Also nice and light.

Thank you!!! makes me feel better about committing to a pop up.

Tightlines!