NF - Quitting Smoking

Rich

I quit 16 yrs ago this time of year when in college. I made rules to always smoke outside, when in college don't go get my jacket for a quick smoke outside which turned to always, and buy the poverty packs (15 smokes) after I worked my way down to 1/2 pack a day. Then made a rule to only smoke 1/2 a poverty pack a day. Then one day while outside freezing my bic I realized how much of a fool I thought I was. Paying more money for less smokes, freezing my bic, these silly rules, yellow fingers and teeth and threw the pack in the garbage and the extra 2 packs at home and swore to not waste anymore money or time or restart. It was tough and not my first time quiting.

If you really want to quit, you'll figure it out for yourself and do it. Best of luck. You'll be happier because of it.

Rich,

My congratulations too!

Lots of good advice above. I quit over 30 years ago on Weedless Wed. One thing that spurred me on was the birth of my youngest son. I couldn't justify exposing him and the rest of the family to second hand smoke. Standing outside in the elements didn't appeal to me. unsure.gif

These 2 posts have the ring of truth about them:---

It is not so much the nicotine but habit of movement.

Good Luck.

Congratulations. You taken the first difficult step.

You've made the best decision ever in your life.

muddler

I found that having a beer increased the urge. I recall taking unshelled sunflower seeds out with me when my wife and I went out to a PTA dance or whatever!! I needed something to keep my hands busy.

Lunchtime at work was another hurdle. I started to jog on my lunch break so I didn't have time to smoke then.

Looking back I have often thought, like muddler, it was the best decision of my life.

An additional incentive is the $$ you'll save. Just think of all the fancy fishing gear yo'll be able to buy!thumbsup_anim.gif

Congrats on getting the notion to quit...

The 2 step idea, of first getting off the habit by either using a vaporizer, patch or gum, sounds like a good plan, because you stop smoking first, then afterwards you just have to stop the nicotine intake. In university, I "smoked" fairly regularly for a semester, and made a $200 investment towards a good vaporizer. My lungs thanked me, and after I had my fun I sold it for almost as much as I paid for it.

There's a book out there for quitting, my neighbour read it and he said it brainwashed him into quitting. He successfully quit just with the book.

You also have to examine your lifestyle and your peers. Does everyone around you smoke? Friends, family, coworkers, significant other? If there's a lot of smokers in your life, you will have to have the resolve not to let others around you distract you from your goal of quitting.

It is quite sad to see some of the after effects of long-term smoking, research it like crazy and that should give you additional reason for quitting. Smoking a while back when there was less crap in cigarettes was one thing, but modern day cigarettes are really full of crap.

You can also try to find a good hypnotist. Uri Geller might not be available, but search around and you should be able to find one locally for a good price.

Last but not least your wallet will thank you...

My health collapsed completely earlier this year due to a few reasons, not from smoking though as I was never a smoker. You don't know how precious your health is until it starts to decline..cherish it and nurture and nourish your body while it's still strong..and you will live longer and happier.

Day 1: not so bad. No craving for a cigarette whatsoever yet, even with a cup of java down the hole. I think the best advice was the "dont smoke in the morning" rule. I thought about it and, in the morning, when i light up that first smoke, i usually crave a couple more before work. If i just dont have that "first" smoke.. HOPEFULLY i never get that first craving!

I cant thank you all enough for the support and advice. Im hoping this is the time i crush the habit, so i can spend just a little more on that 'other' habit of chasing fishies ;)

By far the Dirtiest/Filthiest habit any human being can struggle with..........

smokers do stink VERY bad and when a smoker walks into a non smoking area (office, store, house, etc) it's often like someone just opened the lid of a dumpster, especially those who enjoy Rez smokes. but, i wouldn't go as far as calling it the dirtiest habit, hard drug users easily win that one. but, it is astonishing how many smokers have no clue how bad the odor actually is until they quit.

good luck to everyone who's trying to quit. :clapping:

Day 1: not so bad. No craving for a cigarette whatsoever yet, even with a cup of java down the hole. I think the best advice was the "dont smoke in the morning" rule. I thought about it and, in the morning, when i light up that first smoke, i usually crave a couple more before work. If i just dont have that "first" smoke.. HOPEFULLY i never get that first craving!

I cant thank you all enough for the support and advice. Im hoping this is the time i crush the habit, so i can spend just a little more on that 'other' habit of chasing fishies ;)

You are right Rich...It is just like stopping drinking...if you don't take the first drink it is humanly impossible to get drunk !

Best of luck Mate...

I'd like to know why anyone under the age of 50, in this day and age, chose to start smoking in the first place.

Burning money, smelling like philth, yellow fingers and teeth, and getting cancer...I don't get why it's cool.

Good luck quitting. My dad did it cold turkey after 35 years of smoking. He replaced smoking with eating. Don't do that!

I started because my dad and grandfather told me a cigarette was the only way to celebrate a big fish. And the guys on tv were wrong of course, smoking was harmless. True story.

But lots of people do things that dont make any sense. Its called human error. I dont understand why alcohol is a legal drug, or why people willingly consume it.. but there are new alcoholics everyday.

Im just glad i wont repeat the cycle of my dads side of the family, smoking for 30 years then dropping of a heart attack.

Oh and my dad always ate just as often as he smoked lol that never changed, but after quitting smoking he turned from all food to a straight up candy bar addiction. And THAT hurt him in a whole lot shorter period than smoking ever did :o

AND ill be buying a vapour cig on my way into work, because i know break time will be the toughest part of the day.

I'm in the same boat as you. I recently stopped smoking then slowly but surely got back into it. Don't smoke as much, but still....I ordered my e-cig it last week and hopefully should be in today. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have bought e-cigs at gas stations before and they are garbage. Good luck.