Manitoba Trout

troutologist

I got out after some stocked trout this weekend on 6" of ice! Glad to be back on the hard water and really proud of this brown trout...my best by far.

Also had a chance to do some experimenting with the new style of ice reel out on the market, boy its just like centerpin fishing, when these trout get hooked they run and its a blast. About as close as you get to pinning for bows and browns on the prairies!

Anyways a little primer for you folks, take care on the ice and do your best to exercise caution and patience as things freeze up.

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

beauty brown! well done

I picked up on using fly reels for some ice jigging a few years back, nearly eliminates line twist and plus it's just fun to fish with, pretty popular in the US

if you're into it, check out the 13 fishing multiplier ice reel

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/1181592/fpart/1/13-fishing-6061-multiplier-reel-photos

Real nice trout through the ice Jay. I have two models of reels that are similar to the clam reel you showed although not as pretty. I started using a Micro Ice reel made by HT about 6 years ago but found the spool was too small. Then I found these "no name" brand reels and I like them alot more. The drag system is inside the reel and the center button releases the spool much like a fly reel. You can set the drag to full / half / or none by spinning the clickers. They are all composite and don't freeze.

SANY0010.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

Full drag

SANY0014.jpg

Half drag

SANY0012.jpg

Free spool

SANY0013.jpg

A) Great brown Jay. Not sure when ya did head out that way, but I don't remember reports from Manitoba from you. They'll be welcome here man, those fish out there are crazy good lookin'.

B) Small fly-roddin' reels and the like are becoming more popular I guess. Little to no line twist, as said. Will be buying one soon to try out.

C) SMO5... yes Mikey. I'll go with ya if I have to. Can we do catfish too though?