What you need to catch..

Rich

So.. without borrowing your rod, he would not catch any fish?

well, his walmart line get as stiff as a... board this time of year. his drag cant hold anything over 2 lbs and he mentions he feels more and can cast further. and has more confidents...

I remember a time many years back, I strung up a good spinning rod and reel the exact same as my girlfriend mickeymouse rod from when she was 9 or 10 years old. well, different line but the same jig.execpt she choose to paint pink nail polish spots on the grub. as I tested her rod to see if it would cast out, fish on, I cast again, fish on! we then switched rods, and I fished my rod in the same place and manner, nothing hit. but they were all after her mickeymouse line.. so its really all up to the fish on what their going to eat or not. i recall anothre time i was 12 or so, i found a heap of old line tangled in a bush along a lake, it had an old half rusted spoon on it..still have the spoon. i was throwing it in by hand and catching perch and bluegill, there were some guys in a boat a couple hundred feet out, they yelled some good words my way and i felt great to outfish the experts back then, by hand.

well, his walmart line get as stiff as a... board this time of year. his drag cant hold anything over 2 lbs and he mentions he feels more and can cast further. and has more confidents...

So if he honed his skills he could catch fish with that rod then.

LOl so why have 2 rooms filled with tens of thousands of dollars of gear?

some people like using nice gear, doesn't make them any better or worse than anglers with basic gear

You read that i have 2 rooms full of gear, and stopped there? Pretty sure i've explained myself, and this post more than enough. If you still dont get it, and for some reason feel this is a personal shot at you or a friend, i dont care. You're an incommunicable human being, and i'll have to just hope you smarten up. Peace .

I'll offer a different view.

buy quality equipment - but use it!

rods and reels can be used for more than one purpose.

I'm quite confident that the fishing I do would destroy "average" gear.

However, if the reels I use work for three or four different types of fishing/species, it can be justified that much easier.

Big water fishing doesn't take kindly to poor drags on reels.

My biggest trout was landed through the ice with redwolf line and by hand. My biggest bass was landed with a push button reel and a 20$ quantum rod. Biggest pike was on one of those $29.99 shimano combos. Ofcourse that was years ago before I got all of the new fancy gear but the big money combos now havent helped me break my PB's.OH and I almost forgot my PB muskie was caught on a 6' med action rod with 10# mono. I guess I didnt have to buy the 7'med hvy with 50#power pro but atleast now I get most of my snagged lures back when I haul the logs off bottom lol.

You read that i have 2 rooms full of gear, and stopped there? Pretty sure i've explained myself, and this post more than enough. If you still dont get it, and for some reason feel this is a personal shot at you or a friend, i dont care. You're an incommunicable human being, and i'll have to just hope you smarten up. Peace .

LOL thanks for the advice

i might know this guy related to my family, and he has a workshop/garage larger then his house, full to the shingles with rods, baits, guns, ammo, bows, scopes.. motors boats, probably easily over 100rods, a collection from his youth over 50 years ago...he uses probably 75% of it all throught the year, and when not in use, their great conversaation pieces and eye candy. i even got a 9 year old to cound the treble hooks hanging from the boat.. he stopped at an even 600 lol kids...

i might know this guy related to my family, and he has a workshop/garage larger then his house, full to the shingles with rods, baits, guns, ammo, bows, scopes.. motors boats, probably easily over 100rods, a collection from his youth over 50 years ago...he uses probably 75% of it all throught the year, and when not in use, their great conversaation pieces and eye candy. i even got a 9 year old to cound the treble hooks hanging from the boat.. he stopped at an even 600 lol kids...

Yeah, but did he still want to borrow your good stuff??w00t.gif

What you're TOLD by an army of armchair experts vs what you need:

I've been fishing for about 60 years.

I have an expensive boat and I tow it with an even more expensive truck.

I use very good rods & reels and my favorite combo is worth $700.

Most of my musky baits are fairly expensive and I have some worth $100

I don't buy anything cheap.

I catch alot of fish.

If that makes me an armchair expert, so be it.

Is there anything wrong with that ??

Edited by lew

Pretty sick people if they are PM'ng you about this thread. I was almost brainwashed into believing that you do need very expensive gear to be a "good" fisherman. That is complete horsepoop!! You do not need top end of anything. Its FISHING not CATCHING. If you want to catch fish then buy a big net or use TNT!! I was fishing with a guy, that is no longer a friend, using a walmart set up that I paid 60 bucks for. He had a Stradic and a Fenwick combo that cost 500 bucks. I clearly remember him saying to me that he could not believe that I was catching fish with that combo!! I out fished him that weekend :) I guess for some it is more of a status symbol than anything else.

Edited by Squid

Then I spose your $$$$ huge, top-o-the-line, 10" gps/sonar unit sitting on your consol is just a cardboard replica eh Pete ?? :lol: :lol:

There is a big difference between needs, and wants.

Do you really think that big graph catches more fish?? I doubt it. It may help find them, but the angler still has to know how to catch them.

P.S....my little 5" lowrance will mark the exact same fish as the 10" screen :whistling:

S.

I remember clearly back in the day folks advising that we need 130 lb flurocarbon leaders and 80lb braid with a minimum of a shimano compre or st croix rod and a calcutta reel etc... Really, I have one and its nice and all but its not the end all of fishing. I bought it as a gift to myself for my 25 years of marriage. Would I but another one? No way, not worth the money. Guys on St.Clair have been fishing with 65 dollar rods, 50 lb mono and a small selection of baits for years and they still catch monster muskies without all of the expensive gadgets.