A Week of Chrome

ChrisK

Ok so here's a little story of a reunion that took place last week over seven days of chrome. Close to 25 years ago I used to fish with a fella by the name of Hardy. We were great friends,hunting and fishing buddies for years. Then came the day when Hardy decided to go and live out west where he could angle for wild steelhead on the big rivers and do a little bit of grizzly bear watching all at the same time.

Over the years we have kept in touch comparing notes and trying to find some time to hook up and finally we arranged seven days of steel that took place last week. Although the rivers were down we still put together a great trip and made yet again lasting memories that we shall never forget and will continue to hold strong old bonds we once shared 25 years ago.

Here are a couple of pics when we were both in our twenties.Try not to laugh at our classic 80's apparel.

Hardy4.jpg

Hardy3.jpg

Now here's a pic from last week 25 years later. Notice Hardy still using the same Stream Master float reel. Its the one he left with years ago and the one he returned back to the field with years later.

Bayfeild8016-2.jpg

So the fishing didn't turn out half bad. First part of the week showing higher numbers and as the days past we had to venture out further for fish due to dropping water levels.

Here are some pics of the better fish of the week.

Most fish were taken on worms and my hybrid "stoned bugger" fly.

Heres a fine buck caught by Hardy. This fish fought hard like many of the big males of the week. Photo turned out picture perfect !!!

Bayfeild8029-1.jpg

Now its my turn up to bat. Another buck this time not as fired up but still a worthy fighter. This one came on the fly

P1000370.jpg

Hardy with yet another fine specimen

Bayfeild8043.jpg

Nice little hen on a worm

Bayfeild8-1.jpg

Time to walk up river. Lots of scenery with deer and turkey sign everywhere. We even had two bald eagles soaring over top of us most of the time we were there. The pools were low and slow so worms were on the menu once again. Hardy did well here hooking up with multiple fish. I was busy hunting.....

P1000387.jpg

The day was coming to a close and we were far up river with about an hours walk back to camp so we called it a day.

Hardy with one of his many from the afternoon. Funny they were all little ones up there.

Bayfeild8059.jpg

This year I've been getting a little more serious about fly fishing for these steelhead so I thought what better a time to do it now that

Hardy is here. He's a big spey fisherman out west so I had to show him how it was done in these parts.I know we spey fish around these parts too.

In the little time I spent chucking flies I caught two nice fish and both on yes you guessed it my little stoned buggers.

Bayfeild8039.jpg

P1000376.jpg

On our last day Hardy and I hit the big waters of the Geen. Fishing was hard and people were plenty but I did manage this little guy.

Ain't he cute !!!Nice little brown.....

P1000389-1.jpg

Seems as though they like my little stones even in the big water....

P1000389-2.jpg

So this pretty much wrapped it up for the week. I'm sure going to miss fishing with Hardy. I guess it will be my turn to jump on a plane next and he can take me to grizzly land....Man I hate bears and especially the ones that want to eat me...

Now to get Hardy packed up and back to the London airport for his plane ride home into snowmageden. Turns out his truck was frozen solid in the Edmonton airport parking lot but no worries. They have a special crew that comes out and gives your vehicle a boost if its been sitting in the snow for an extended period.

Until next time we meet my old friend........

It was a epic adventure(don't get out much) for me even though my usual numbers were down but sometimes its not quantity but quality that counts especially this time around with my old friend Hardy come to spend time with me on the river.

Well worth the effort of a good report :D

very cool to 'hook up' with a long time friend like that Chris.

See, to me not knowing either of you I would have guessed that pic 2 and 3 were set up in the same to show the then and now. I would easly guess you were on the right side of the screen in both pic's for placement.

The only way (other then to keep reading to see who is who) was the reel comment and that Hardy likes to keep his lures on that patch on his right side. Am I correct with that guess?

Edited by GBW

very cool to 'hook up' with a long time friend like that Chris.

See, to me not knowing either of you I would have guessed that pic 2 and 3 were set up in the same to show the then and now. I would easly guess you were on the right side of the screen in both pic's for placement.

The only way (other then to keep reading to see who is who) was the reel comment and that Hardy likes to keep his lures on that patch on his right side. Am I correct with that guess?

Hmmmm,that never even occurred to me....Just thought that everyone new what I looked like ???? I'm going to scroll up and have a look..

Hmmmm,that never even occurred to me....Just thought that everyone new what I looked like ???? I'm going to scroll up and have a look..

Yup,the then an now pic is switched. Hardy on the right in the then shots and hardy on the left in the now shot and yes he's got his fly patch on his right upper shoulder in the second then pic and the now pic...

Good eye GBW !!

Yup,the then an now pic is switched. Hardy on the right in the then shots and hardy on the left in the now shot and yes he's got his fly patch on his right upper shoulder in the second then pic and the now pic...

Good eye GBW !!

Thanks and I guess if he's still using that reel today the old saying must apply "you get what you pay for" as it still looks new and probably runs like new.

Now go make plans to join him out West during prime time season out there and enjoy!

For sure guys...This was a special one. I didn't mention this fella was my best man 25 years ago at our wedding did I ? Would post more pictures of the good old steelheading days but they are all on paper and it would take forever to scan them all.

I hope to hook up with him in a year or so for some BC steel. Its just so expensive compared to what we have here($50 a day per river out west)and although our fish aren't wild we sure do catch way more than they could ever imagine out there. Hardy said it was common that you could spey fish for a week and only get a few hook ups.When they finally come though they are usually big fish so I guess it makes it all worth while.

Cheers !

If you hung around the Maitland back then I'm sure we did. Was and is still a great fishery

Last time I fished the Maitland would have been early spring 73/74 before opener. Back then it was open all year from Hwy 21 to the lake, great spot then but now I beleive that stretch is closed before opener, hear it is only from the train bridge to the lake open now :wallbash: Was a bottom bouncer back then and also recall a new Champion grader going down the Hwy every hour or so, probably to a train yard for loading, funny how that stuck in my mind :rolleyes: The 80's a motel room in Meaford was like a second home in the fall.

Edit: Another recall from the Maitland was lots of stoneflies crawling out on the snowbanks along the shore on a nice early april day, now that was a early hatch.

Edited by dave524

Agreed! It's nice to see good memories from that beautiful stream. As I recall, a few old hens cried fowl the last time you and I were up there and posted such nice pics as these.

Nice recount, Chris :) - thanks very much for sharing!

p.-

There's always someone that's not going to be happy no matter how hard you try Paulus. All that matters is she's there for us and whom ever else wants to share her waters as long as we all respect and take care....