small mouth lungin

fishingisliving

Was suposed to take out a relative fishing last week, but last minute emergency at work made him cancel the night before. What a relief considering the cold front, big winds and rain on the forecast. I got to sleep in the next morning!!

That's it...

.. until about 10am, when my phone rang, and its good friend Lungelarry with computer issues.. (you gotta admit so far this fishing report is great!) After helping him out as best I could, his problem persisted, so I put the phone down and looked out the window and noticed the leaves on the trees had stopped moving and the neighbor's flag was laying down. No wind? huh? Meanwhile Larry was still yaking away on the phone about something, so I picked up the phone again to interrupt him:"HEY, we going fishing today or what? the wind just died down, just bring your rain suit." he agreed immediately as he always does when I offer to put him on fish(%stab1%).

We braught the smallie gear, largemouth gear and Lunge gear. LOADED. The rain and wind was quite different on the lake then it was in my backyard (no crap!) We tried a new spot out of the wind first with fast search baits to see if there were agressive fish nearby. Pulled a school immediately, bunch of 2 to 3 pounders. Cool! Then about 4 little pike that probably totaled 5 pounds stacked together. We kept working the new zone, but only had a couple short strikes to keep us interested in actually finishing the run of the spot.

ok here is a picture to keep you mildly entertained until the end of this report.

smalliereleasej.jpg

Releasing the last bass on the new spot before moving on.

I then decided to hit an old spot I had not touched in years, sure enough smallies still lived there! In numbers too, every single cast showed or hooked a fish. We could fish slow, fast, didn't matter it was a frenzy!

IMG_4603.jpg

We took a couple pictures with the "better" fish of bunch.. while we did that, something underneath the boat was changing. We kept fishing after the picture session, but something felt odd... it was getting warmer, the sun was out! Since our jackets had gotten soaked, we got to fish in our T-shirts for a bit. Not a single bit in 10 casts, is it over? just like that? The sun turned the fish off?

Larry says:" GOT ONE!, little guy" he fights the fish for a few seconds and his rod unloads, Lost it? no Got bitten off.. immediately after we notice 2 big fins flying straight over the surface the water a few yards away: muskies! "We are going to need a bigger net" Larry said. So I put the little St-croix down, and picked up the BIG X-heavy 8.5 ft 100lb braided WINCH! I asked Larry to take the musky net off the bottom of the cockpit and get it ready incase we hook this fish.

Larry takes the first cast in the open where the fins were a minute before.. two cranks of the reel and water moved in a big swirl behind the lure. I follow up the cast only a few yards away, just a few cranks of the reel again and the fish is on! I had locked down my drag and this big fish has no chance with this kind of rod. In the net after maybe 12 seconds of head shaking and tail dancing.

CLICK!

IMG_4614.jpg

and away he goes. Nice healthy male musky!

The sun then shot back behind the dark clouds and we keep the musky gear wet cause now I want another one! Take a few more casts 3 or 4 cranks of the handle the lure comes to a dead stop! I set the hook and here comes Momma's big mouth with gills flared head shaking! Drag is locked down, quick run under the boat and drag actually rips out several feet. This was a different class of fish. I got her back to the surface where she wasn't finished head shaking as the net moves around her. And out comes the hook, time for another knuckle skin ripping session with this big female!

CLICK!

IMG_4637.jpg

After the release, we had drifted very far from our smallies, but was the bite still on after all that? YOU BET! Moved back in, this time, no more 2 pounders..

IMG_4640.jpg

to finish off the day, Larry pulls out the pigs from the pack!

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg