Coho or?

azebra

Humm I would have put money that it was a coho. With the predominately white mouth and the smaller size of the fish in this system compared to lake O chinook

Lake Huron/Superior chinooks don't get to the proportions like their Lake O cousins do... Also if it was a coho, the lower jaw would be a lot more pronounced, especially this time of year.

I'll agree with Bill as well. Learned a bit more since Joey and I have been going to school. :D

From my post last week.

From Fisherman

Pictures can be deceiving however, Cohos "generally" only have spots on the upper half of the tail, clearly not the first and second picture...they're Chinook.

This might help.

MNR fish ID

and this

Salmon Facts and ID

Edited by fishnsled

First thing, look at the tail, Chinooks have spots all over the tail, Coho only have spots on the upper half.

For 99% of the cases this is true (upper lobe of the tail would be the more correct way of saying this). I'm not sure if other anglers who have been catching Lake O cohos the last couple of years have noticed some irregularities with regards to the spotting on a good number of coho tails. The last 2 seasons, I have been catching cohos with spots on both the upper and lower lobes of the tails as well as spotting on the upper lobe and middle of the tail. Perhaps chinook/coho hybrids?

I'll agree with Bill as well. Learned a bit more since Joey and I have been going to school. :D

Don't forget your pencil case for our next class Will, you dulled all mine already, not to mention I have no erasers left from all your mistakes :lol: