A BIG troot from a wee lake

Joeytier

The inland rainbow trout of Ontario have been a tough nut to crack for me, but having an understanding of them thru great lakes fishing and a fair bit of reading have left me wanting to spend more time on the water to figure them out and ultimately put more of these unbelievably delicious fish on my stringer.

As luck would have it, Mr. Rod Caster was also game to give it a try, being equally green as I when it comes to the Northern Rainbow specimen.

After a painfully slow and arduous trek down an ATV trail (which was no place for a truck, but we managed to come out unscathed), and a decent portage later (complete with Minn Kota and malted beverages) we had arrived.

No more than 15 minutes into our initial exploration of the lake Chad hooks up with a nice trout in the 16" range only to have it spit the hook on a jump. Disappointing, but encouraging at the same time.

A dead period ensued, leading to both us scratching our heads wondering what our next move should be. We trolled a better park of the lake covering extensive depths with nothing to show for it. With the first phase of dusk approaching, and the past week of frosty nights cooling the surface temps extensively, we decided to keep it simple, and keep it shallow.

Casting a no. 3 gold aglia towards a log jam dropping sharply into a rocky twenty foot flat, I had an absolute freight train of a hit. Discouragement was starting to take its toll by this point, so this was the equivalent to an electroshock. Within seconds the massive trout was four feet airborne and putting my light and overwhelmed tackle to the ultimate test. After a 5-6 minute tussle which included many chinook-like drag-burners and insane leaps, she was finally in my grasp.

28 inches of perfectly healthy rainbow trout. :)

DSCF1083.jpg

DSCF1085.jpg

Having split the fish with RC, giving a quarter to my neighbour, and having a sushi feast with whatever left we could scrape up, I am still left with more than enough for a delicious meal for myself. This awesome fish went to great use. You will never see flesh more brilliant orange than that of a northern rainbow. :)

My jaw was at the bottom of that 20 foot drop-off when she took her first 4 foot leap! Unbelievable, I believe, was the word I said 12 times during your 5 minute battle :D

Thanks again for sharing a flank! Sarah and I are looking forward to dinner tonight.

Dana: don't bother with a truck, you basically need a 4 wheeler for this trail. The crew at mazda are gonna haave a fun time picking out branches from my brakes at my next service.

I hope you didn't eat that thing raw, lol!

Are we getting a food-safety tip from the guy who thought his food allergies might magically disapear? Haha :P

We ate a few raw scrapings from the meat left-over on the bone. I've never had an issue eating a bit of raw trout meat. Maybe I should re-consider? Has Man-VS-Wild, biting a live salmon in the back, mis-guided me?

Edited by Rod Caster

Are we getting a food-safety tip from the guy who thought his food allergies might magically disapear? Haha :P

We ate a few raw scrapings from the meat left-over on the bone. I've never had an issue eating a bit of raw trout meat. Maybe I should re-consider? Has Man-VS-Wild, biting a live salmon in the back, mis-guided me?

There's a reason why sushi is always saltwater fish :) As long as you don't drink your own piss like Bear does, I think you'll be ok, lol!

Dana: don't bother with a truck, you basically need a 4 wheeler for this trail. The crew at mazda are gonna have a fun time picking out branches from my brakes at my next service.

So I guess you're not going back? :\

I don't know why they always have to stock rainbow in the hard-to-reach lakes. I want to buy a cheaper used ATV, but with the baby nearly here, it won't likely be happening for a long time, if ever.

There's a reason why sushi is always saltwater fish :) As long as you don't drink your own piss like Bear does, I think you'll be ok, lol!

hahaha. I actually didn't know that. I thought they froze the flesh first just to confirm that parasites, if by chance present, were killed. I'll have to read some material on what the risks are.

However, it can't be worse than the Chubway oven roasted "chicken" patties I ate for lunch. Those grill marks sure look authentic.

Dana: seeing that we only got the one fish, I'd likely try a lake with easier access next time. A four wheeler would be ideal for you!!

hahaha. I actually didn't know that. I thought they froze the flesh first just to confirm that parasites, if by chance present, were killed. I'll have to read some material on what the risks are.

However, it can't be worse than the Chubway oven roasted "chicken" patties I ate for lunch. Those grill marks sure look authentic.

LOL!! I think those grill marks are put on with a Sharpie :)

:rofl2: Definitely the quote of the the day.

Even I thought that was funny, although a lit bit of very important info is missing from my fish eating story... I'm allergic to freshwater fish, not saltwater. So the thought process was, catch a chromer from the bay and maybe, just maybe I'd be fine.. Unfortunately it still didn't work out, lol!