Another day in the Bermuda Triangle

SlowPoke

Just your average day in the Bermuda Triangle...

Picked up Clive (mepps) at 4:20 and went back home to grab the boat. Arrived at Long Point Old Cut for the Toonie Tournament a little after 6:00. After lauching the boat I quickly realized that something was askew. The fishfinder was reading 72' at the dock. Seemed a little deep for a channel leading into the bay with an average depth of 4 feet.

We made our way to the west end of the bay which looked inviting from our drive in. It turned out to be a nice secluded spot to run over my line with the electric... no fish.

At this point the fishfinder was hit and miss for depth so I followed our GPS tracks back out closer to the channel leading to EC10. We spotted a few boats around EC10, perching I suppose and moved a little further south for a few dozen casts that produced a follow-up for Clive... no bite.

We decided to troll further south inland into some of the bays. Saw a few more boats there and thought this would be a good place to run over my line again. The bow-mount electric is new to me but I learn fast, I don't need to run over my line three times to realize that this is unproductive... no kidding.

Out of the bay we went to follow the shoreline eastward. From a distance I spotted a little channal separating an island east of "the cottages". It looked inviting so we ventured in. With the fishfinder reading 900' imagine our surprise when we hit sand. Not a big deal, the water was fairly clear and we were going very slow... trim up the motor and got out of there... no damage.

We went around the island and began casting. I happened to notice a float plane moored on the island and joked to Clive that he's probably be stranded there since November. A few minutes later I heard a faint cry for help "you guys got a battery?". Turns out this guy was stranded. We began approaching him and proceeded to hit sand, this time with the electric. Out come the paddles and we push ourselves towards the plane in about 6" of water...

DSC00857.jpg

This guy "Glen" had built this plane from a kit and flew in from Brantford. After mooring and hiking on the island he returned to his plane and was unable to start it. The plane was equipped with a 12v motorcycle battery buried somewhere in the fuselage. I didn't have jumper cables thinking that two batteries on board would not require hauling a set of cables. Naturally, the full size batteries would not fit into the battery compartment on the plane. Glen turned the plane around to try starting it manually.

DSC00858.jpg

Click to see the video...

th_MOV00860.jpg

No luck starting it manually. I figured our last hope was to remove his battery and hook it up to my motor to recharge. Remember, we're in six inches of water.... I trimmed the motor down and buried the skeg into the sand and started the motor. Pheww, a good solid pee from the side of the motor means the water pickup is low enough for engine cooling.

We hooked the cute little wristwatch battery and began charging it. In the meantime, Glen decided to check his email. :blink:

DSC00861.jpg

After about ten minutes Glen put it back into the plane and it was reading 12v. "I've got one shot at this. If it works, thanks a lot guys. If it doesn't, I'll talk to you in a minute."

dramatic cliffhanger....

pause for effect.....

rrrrrr........rrrrrrrrrrrrrr........rrrrrrrrrr..........vvvvrrrrrooooooooooommmmmm!

DSC00863.jpg

By this time it was 11:32 and we had to be back at the launch for 12:00. The wind had picked up quite a bit. Whitecaps and 2-3' waves made the 7 mile return trip a little harsh but we managed to get back by 12:02. The only casualty on the return trip was my hat.

It wasn't until we got back to the launch that we learned our day could have been worse, much worse. One of the participants sustained some pretty serious hull damage. Everyone in the boat was safe thankfully. They took on some water but I think everything was under control. Hopefully it is repairable and he won't be off the water for long.

That's it for my no-fish fishing report. I really don't see myself getting back to the Bermuda Triangle anytime soon but I still had a good time sharing the boat with Clive and meeting some OFNer's. Well worth the loonie, three quarters, two dimes and a nickle.

-Brian

Sorry to hear you never got into any fish Brian, but good onya for taking the time outta your day to help someone that needed it :thumbsup_anim:

Being stuck on an island with a dead battery isn't a nice way to spend a day, whether in a boat, plane or anything else, and it's good to know some people are willing to give up their time to help out.

Some folks ignore others distress and and just keep on motoring.

What a great report...even if there was no fish! So...did you ever figure out why the fishfinder was reading the depths incorrectly? It's nice that you can find the humour in a bad day of fishing...good on you to help out Glen in his time of need!!

It was great meeting you Brian and seeing you again Clive, a couple of CLASS act OFNers. It was a frustrating day out there for Pike. Had the new boat out twice now and yet to be slimed! The most fishing excitement was caused by some of the guys inadvertently catching a few OOS Largemouth, one approaching 6 Lbs!

Why can't that happen during bass season????

Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

It wasn't until we got back to the launch that we learned our day could have been worse, much worse. One of the participants sustained some pretty serious hull damage. Everyone in the boat was safe thankfully. They took on some water but I think everything was under control. Hopefully it is repairable and he won't be off the water for long.

Nice report and pictures SlowPoke.

It was my boat that sustained the hull damage! We did not hit anything in the water but after motoring over to a different fishing location i noticed excessive water in the boat, peeled back the carpet in the area and discovered a 2' crack in the hull at the water line. We had to limp back to the launch with the bilge running constantly. I just purchased this boat used over the winter and it was my second trip out with it (boat is a 1998 legend V151 Viper) Roger took some pictures of the damage for me and i will make a post when i get them, looking for info if it can be repaired.

What are you doing looking for pike behind baitfish island?

Sorry about your day, but good on you for helping somebody in need.

PS, next time try the flats off St Williams. Those pike want nothing to do with the sandy northern half of the bay.

That's why friends..don't let friends..fly two strokes !

Good on ya for helping him out though Brian. Not sure what he was thinking out on that much open water in a Kitfox and hope that Gary..the owner...knew Glen the flier...had it out there !

Too bad about your day being cut short, but good thing you rescued him because he sure wasn't ready for the elements. Bare foot in April water...bet he didn't even have a lighter with him to start a fire.

Thanks for the kind remarks... I hope if ever I break down some guy in a plane can help me out!

well done, did you get his phone #. I'd say he owes you a ride.

LOL, I think I'll pass.

What are you doing looking for pike behind baitfish island?

Sorry about your day, but good on you for helping somebody in need.

PS, next time try the flats off St Williams. Those pike want nothing to do with the sandy northern half of the bay.

I blame that on Clive... for no particular reason :P

We looked for better cover and found either clear sandy bottoms or thick dead growth. We never ventured over to the south side. I assumed it was much the same because Turkey Point has a clear sandy bottom with some cabbage patches.

Next time I fish LPB I'll slide by your place and pick you up.

That's why friends..don't let friends..fly two strokes !

Good on ya for helping him out though Brian. Not sure what he was thinking out on that much open water in a Kitfox and hope that Gary..the owner...knew Glen the flier...had it out there !

Too bad about your day being cut short, but good thing you rescued him because he sure wasn't ready for the elements. Bare foot in April water...bet he didn't even have a lighter with him to start a fire.

I didn't realize that was a 2-stroke... I know it was a 4 cyl. 100HP with water cooled heads, air cooled engine. His name might of been Gary, not Glen but I know it wasn't Gwen or George for that matter. I'm terrible with names Wade ;)

He did have boots and socks, a life jacket and a cool multi-tool... don't know about a lighter. You'd think somewhere in that plane he'd have room to store another cute little battery!

-Brian

I know it was a 4 cyl. 100HP with water cooled heads, air cooled engine

In that case it's a Rotax 912S - 4 stroke x 100HP - dual electronic mags. I only know of two people that ever successfully hand swung them and they darn near had heart attacks before achieving success. Too high compression, gear drive and no weight to those composite props to work as a flywheel.

If I see you run aground on a shoal Brian...I'll drop in to save you !

LMAO!!!! That report was a great read!... I've been caught in the Bermuda Triangle before and it's a very wierd place and ain't much fun. Been there done that with the new trolling motor, fished in circles for a couple of trips before I got the hang of it... but now I love it!

I hope you have much better luck on your next trip!!!

You lef tout the part where you said to him " No offense, but I hope I never see you again." just before the engine fired up.

Thanks for havign me out Brian!

LOL, I forgot about that!

You're welcome anytime in my boat! It was a learning experiance for me... your line tying technique will surely come in handy for me in the event that my wife gnaws off the tip of my ring finger.

-Brian

Well that was a very interesting fishing trip....how would you ever think you would be helping out a stranded pilot,whose battery went dead,WOW....too bad you never even got a fish to show for it,well maybe next time,thanks for sharing your exciting trip cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: