Drop shotting for smallies?

reelinrolly

Xzone Slammers HANDS DOWN.

The "HammerShad" is a Slammer wanna-be.

Amazing! Been hammering Walleye and bass all year on them.

As mentioned above, they are also KILLER through the ice for lakers.

Yup....Slammers Work just fine.20 good smallies in 4 hours today near Valleyfield.Heres what i kept for lunchGonefishing.gif

100_0096.jpg

This year I started using a bit of float gear on the drop shot and its been working out pretty good. I will tie a small barrel swivel to the main line to take up the twist. Slide the the leader through the eye of the hook but don't tie it. I will then slide a small plastic bead, then a bobber stopper, then another plastic bead. Now its time for the pencil lead, or what ever weight you prefer. the bobber stopper allows for height adjustment without having to cut and retie. Every time you hook up the fish will pull the hook down to the lead, so after removing the fish just slide the bobber stopper and the hook back up to where you want it. This also allows the bait to move around a bit more. I've been in some situations where the current or wind was pushing around to much and the hook would be up at the swivel, in this case I added a bead and bobber stopper above the hook as well to hold it in place.

I think I'm missing something. How does the hook stay in place so you can set the hook?

Another vote for Slammers.

If you fish skirted grubs, save them after the rock bass tear the twister tails off. The body/skirt makes a great dropshot bait rigged with the skirt out like a small, solid bodied tube. Yamamoto sells them as "Ikas". A couple of my other favourites are Pro Senkos and Jacks worms (one of the best kept secrets for smallies).

On many of our lakes, a shakey head will catch fish head-to-head with a dropshot rig. It's much easier to rig, and much easier to fish. Occasionally the dropshot will catch more fish, but not that often. All the baits mentioned so far work for both presentations.

was smashing them this weekend on dropshotted wacky rigged senkos. 4 & 5"

im no drop shot expert though...this is just what worked for me.

Anybody use a baitcast setup? im more comfortable with a baitcaster, not sure if it is ideal though for this technique

Edited by Boss

was smashing them this weekend on dropshotted wacky rigged senkos. 4 & 5"

im no drop shot expert though...this is just what worked for me.

Anybody use a baitcast setup? im more comfortable with a baitcaster, not sure if it is ideal though for this technique

nothing saying you cant, if thats what you are comfortable with then go for it. I am more comfortable with a spinning setup (7'2" crucial MED dropshot rod and stradic 2500)

Spinning reels typically have a better/smoother drag system for dropshotting with such light line, that's why I prefer spinning over casting.

With that being said...My preference is my Big Bear 7'0 ML Dropshot rod with a Shimano Sustain spinning reel, but I always have a baitcasting setup rigged with a dropshot with a heavier weight/line setup in case there's some structure/cover that would require that little extra strength.

Roboworms and cross tail shads for lures. Size 1 hooks, I believe their gamakatsu. 7lb sunline line.

I use a nrx dsr822 and a stella fe. Awesome setup. But costly.

LOL

I am laughing because your drop shot setup is worth same amount of $ as my boat.

I think I'm missing something. How does the hook stay in place so you can set the hook?

It doesn't.

I find it feels like setting the hook with a 3 way swivel set up, feels kind of soft. Hook slides down and locks up against the weight. The time between the snap of the rod for the hook set and the hook sliding down to engage the sinker could only be measured by NASA. Just a nice sweeping hook set seems to do the trick.

Just something I've be experimenting with, thought Id throw it out there. Maybe someone else will try it and like it.

Remember...we're all in this together.

I've done well with Cross Tail shads, 4" Trigger X drop shot probe worm, minnows and slammers.

I really like the Rapala Concept 7'2" drop shot rod. It is amazing to feel bites and the entire rod is just over 3oz. I use a Shift reel spooled up with 8lb castable Sufix fluorocarbon tied to a steelhead micro swivel. I then add 6lb fluoro as a leader or keep 8lb in later fall for big fish. I've been using size 1 Gammy drop shot hooks and wide gaps for drop shotting, although I recently got some of those VMC drop shot hooks with the built in swivel. This set-up has been pretty sweet to fish. I'll be using it real soon :)

Have fun drop shotting!