HAPPY DAY REVISITED

asdve23rveavwa

A year can feel like an eternity when you are waiting to return to a place that is special in your heart. For me this place is Lake Windermere. Last year in a thread titled "My Dreams" I (along with Juli's photos) told the story of our family camping vacation up at Happy Day in the Chapleau area of Ontario. During the drive home we, as a family, decided to return in 2012.

I contacted Bob and Sondra a few days later and this time we booked a cabin. Thus began the long wait that finally came to an end as we began our journey north on Friday August 24th.

The lake is long with many bays and islands, and holds many deep holes. Fishing pressure is limited to camp guests and a handful of private cottages. I truly believe that many spots see virtually no fisherman throughout the season. The fish may not be the largest in that area of the north, but, make no mistake about it there are walleye over 30", pike over 40" and bass over 20" to be had. The Zimmerman family is working closely with the MNR and have instilled mandatory maximum "keeper" size for all three of these game fish. By releasing ALL walleye over 18", pike over 26" and smallmouth bass over 15" they hope to turn the lake into the true trophy producing water it has the potential to become.

Our trip began with a drive up to Tobermory and a journey across the waters of Georgian Bay aboard the Chi Cheemaun ferry. A thrill for all five of us, as, Juli and I hadn't done it since childhood, and, the boys have never been on it. After a drive up Manitoulin island we stopped just north of Espanola for the night.

IMG_7011.jpg

RSCN1065.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg

DSCN1013.jpg

Since check in isn't until 3 PM on Saturday, we had a liesurely wake up with breakfast at Canada's most popular coffee shop.

This was followed by another five hours, give or take, of driving. We arrived at our home for the next six nights just prior to 3 PM. The log cabin was beautiful, and, also is the only one in camp with a loft. The loft turned into the boys personal space, they loved it!

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_7197.jpg

We unloaded the truck, launched the boat, tied her up to our personal dock, and, fired up the bbq for some steak. As usual

everything tastes better in the north, and, those sirloins didn't disappoint! After supper the boys went to hang out with

Dylan (Bob's son that they had befriended the year prior) which gave Juli and I a chance to scoot out for a quick couple hours of fishing.

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7204.jpg

The next five and a half days were filled with relaxation, campfires, kayaking and, oh yeah, FISHING!!!!!! As many of you already know Juli loves taking pictures as much (well nearly as much) as catching fish. Happy to say that the twins finally caught their first ever walleyes too!

What follows is a small sample of some of our photos taken during the week.

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

IMG_7392.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

RSCN1063.jpg

IMG_7436.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7510.jpg

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

RSCN1067.jpg

IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7697.jpg

RSCN1062.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

IMG_7636.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

RSCN1059.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

RSCN1056.jpg

IMG_7810.jpg

RSCN1057.jpg

IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7842.jpg

IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

Suffice to say that we are re-booked for next season, and, are once again looking forward to another week up in paradise. Once again "My Dreams" have come true for a week. Until next time I know they will again be filled with the song of the loon, the gentle lapping of waves, the rumble and whistle of the train that still travels past the camp and that tap-tap-tap of a hungry golden walleye.

IMG_8007.jpg

Family fun, unplugged. :clapping:

Looks like a great weekend. You have a beautiful family, as well. Keep up those outings, those memories last forever! :)

Thanks, Rob and Brad. It was actually pretty much a week Brad, and, the memories are priceless :thumbsup_anim:

What a report !clapping.gif you guys look like you had great fun. Thanks for sharing Frank and Juli !!!

Our pleasure Paul. It was tough picking only 50 pics out of around 900, plus, I didn't want to just post pic after pic of walleyes.

looks like a really great time

Terry, it was just what the doctor ordered. We were overdue for a vacation.

Looks like you all had a great get away and the weather agreed with you this year:good: . Glad it all worked out after the long wait. Nice looking spot.

Rick, buddy, the weather was tremendous again. Just like last year we only had one rain that lasted about five hours. Other than that we had a couple spits in the evening twice. Campfires every night.

GREAT PICTURES......Looks like everyone had a GREAT time.

Bob

Wow what a great report! looks like a great family adventure!

Cheers!

Thanks for the compliments guys!

It was a fabulous week of fishing and relaxing... And a well overdue holiday for us all!! The loons, the lake, the cabin, the gorgeous northern scenery- I can't wait to get back already!

You know it "hun", We could have stayed another week for sure!!

Outstanding! I know how much you were anticipating this trip, very glad to see it went so well.

Looks as though you won the weather lottery as well!

Thanks, Mike, anticipation for sure. Nothing beats the north!!

Nice :thumbsup_anim:

That looked like alot of fun

Great photos and it looks like everyone had a stellar week of downtime !

Awesome! Good idea on taking the Chi-Cheemaun on the way up, too.

The Chi Cheemaun trip was a gift from Juli's mom...yeah, it was a fun twist to trip.

A beautiful holiday Frankie, Juli and family. Certainly heartwarming souvenirs for you guys. Thanks for sharing. Old and young alike are envious I'm sure. :thumbsup_anim:

Roy, it truly was a week of great memories.

your family is ALL smilesthumbsup_anim.gif Even with walleye-spine cuts on their hands.

Sounds like this place is a family tradition in the making. Thanks for sharing.

LOL You noticed the pic of Juli's "war wounds" Chad :clapping: