I bought a new GPS

lew

I've used fishfinders for many many years, and always black & white, but have never owned a GPS, so when I decided to buy a new GPS/sonar combo a couple months back, I found a great deal on a monochrome unit thru Cabelas that was about 1/2 the price of the same unit in Canada, so I bought it but soon realised I shouldn't have.

I've had it sitting in the basement for awhile now but everytime I looked at it, I kept telling myself I made a mistake going with the monochrome. I wasn't happy with the picture quality at all, and decided to send it back and go with a colour unit.

I've never really been a fan of split screens either, so I went with a dedicated GPS and will purchase a seperate sonar unit to go with it.

I went with a Lowrance Global Map 7200c......... Nice & bright with a big 7" screen

It's new on the market and not in Canada yet but I'll have it next week sometime then I can get it installed in the boat in time for the Quinte trip in a couple weeks.

Going with a colour unit is gonna be a nice change after looking at black & white for so many years. Most of my fishing partners have color so I figured it was time to catch up to them ;)

GlobalMap-7200C-LQTR_xlarge.jpg

Congratulations, Lew. The huge screen minimizes the amount of user involvement which gives much more joy. That certainly looks like top o' the line. You will want to get some good maps to go along with that jewel.

I remember, Lew, when you first started posting, and leading you thru some internet stuff. How times have changed, it would seem.

Congratulations again, and best to you.

Actually, it's gonna work out well as far as space goes.

Robin made me a nice aluminum bracket that will sit on the side of the console, then I have a Ram mount that will hold the GPS on top of the bracket. It's all be measured and will be perfect.

The sonar sits on top of the console.

And douG, you actually taught me quite a bit over the years and it has certainly been appreciated, but I figured it was time now to catch up to the 21st century ;)

Edited by lew

Wow ! thats a nice tool Lew.

I've never used one that good before and I was wondering about

the map zoom feature. How much closer can you zoom in on a location than

it shows in your picture for example ?

Just curious.

Hookset.

Very nice machine Lew. I'm sure that you'll love it. It looks like a great choice to me. Add me to the list of new GPS owners too. But I chose a hand held unit so I could use it for my hunting excursions in the fall as well as for the boat. I chose a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. I'm having fun with it already around the yard. And I'd also like to thank douG for his advice. It seems like he's the guy to talk to about GPS's.

For anyone that may be the least bit interested, this is the bracket I made up to hold the GPS. It'll bolt to the left side of the consol (side consol boat) and then the Ram mounted on top will hold the screen just to the left of the windshield.

Ya, I know.....who the heck cares :P ......Might give someone else an idea though.

Cnv1984.jpg

Hey Lew, sweet set up...I need to purchase a ram-mount....where did you get yours from and how much? I need to figure out which one that I need for my Humminbird 797C2 SI....I checked out the ram-mount website but they don't have their site updated for my GPS/Fishfinder. Thanks

Jason

I love it when old guys grasp onto new technology :clapping::lol::o:mellow::whistling:

I'm not sure Roger, but was that a shot ?? :jerry::lol:

Basskicker, I don't know where you are, but I bought that mount at JB's in Etobicoke, for around $60 if I remember correctly.

You can also get them at BPS but they only carry the smaller ones.

Congrats Lew, you'll be really happy to have a gps on board. You'll experience new freedoms you didn't kmow existed. Like Dan, I have the handhheld Garmin GPS 60CSX, i have the ram mounts, it goes easily from my van, to my boat, to my quad and just put it in my hands for hiking. I've had it almost a year now and i use it every other day. Even came in handy when I was in BC. Was able to get all around Vancouver and area with autorouting, so we didn't have to ever worry about being lost. Priceless on the lakes also, always know how to get back no matter how many islands and bays you pass.

Once again congrats and enjoy.

Clean and looking very functional, Lew.

A word to those looking to buy RAM mounts. They are an excellent mount but it was mentioned before that some were available with the plastic ball(s) as opposed to the rubber. Try not to get the plastic as they don't hold very well.