need outboard help ASAP...PLEASE

hey

my 2001 honda 40hp is acting up again...

idles fine

trolled for musky 4-6mph no problem...

but only had about 60 percent power... normal top speed is 30mph and i could only get 20...

but if i played with the choke i could get 90-100 percent power and speed(27-28mph)

i have clients at noon tomorrow and need help real bad...

not sure if its an O2 censor or something...

anyways any help would be great cause its gotta be fixed by noon tomorrow if possible...

both gear and motor oil have been changed recently....

any ideas fellas?????

mike

Could also be a bad coil on one cylinder.

I'm not a mechanic but I was leaning towards fuel starvation because it would restore power to 90-100% when he activated the choke. If the coil on a cylinder was weak, I doubt the choke would revive it.

Starving for fuel is running lean, applying the choke balances the air/fuel mixture. Now, what is causing it to run lean... TYBO!! Where are you lol

Not likely, Honda has had ethanol acceptable fuel lines for at least 16 years. There's some loose crud floating around in there.

check the lines anyway, omc as has what they say is ethanol acceptable lines since 90 and they still can cause trouble.

my guess is someone is due for carb servicing, pull em and clean them out, also check carb bowls for leakage if they canleak any amount of fuel they can suck air.

post some pics if you can

seafoam is a great cleaner and additive but 11 years and a million hours you may be getting diry, prevantitive nain, is easier to keep it clean than to fix it once it's acting upthan

Hole shot was brutal unless I kept the choke out a bit... When choked it felt fine and hole shot was 90% normal...

Wasn't really surging... But if I put the choke back to normal it would very slowly drop from 28mph to 20...

Anyways... Slammed a can of seafoam into 2 gallons of gas and ran her for a bit... Then stopped... Drained the carbs... Then ran it again for a while.... Then I hit the water and it seems better... Something just felt a bit "off" to me... But I'm back to 28-30 mph wich is top speed in my boat...

Mike.Since you got alot of work done on the engine this year,And the problem returns I would suggest carb gasket or carb synchronization.

When you got it re-built they would have to reset the carbs.One of the screws could have come out of adjustment.

If it occurs and you have the time. Remove the covers and expose the carb. opening and place your finger over the edge of the opening of the carbs. while it is running. This will richen the carb. and when you hit the carb starving instead of the rpm dropping they will pick up. Next run the motor 2500-3000 rpms and cover that carb with your hand to make it draw all fuel for 1 second that will make the carb. suck fuel under vacuum rapidly thru the ports and passages. This is sometime enough to free up a piece of crud in a jet. This does not replace a rebuild that is needed but it will help you from burning out a two stroke piston from a lack of lubricant.

Art

My guess is starving for fuel.

You're on the right track. It is frustrating I know had a similiar problem with a Johnson 2 stroke last year after spending more than I wanted to at a repair shop to solve the problem. The mechanic told me to use Shell gasoline and only the top preminum as it does not contain any ethanol and when you read the pump it usually says it does not contain any. Costs more but worth the extra pennies.

He also told me not to rely on fuel stabilizers to solve the ethenol moisture problem after I told him I always used Johnson/Evinrude's own brand and stayed away from the cheap stuff but usually ran Pioneer regular gas. Fine for the car he said, not for the boat.

You're on the right track. It is frustrating I know had a similiar problem with a Johnson 2 stroke last year after spending more than I wanted to at a repair shop to solve the problem. The mechanic told me to use Shell gasoline and only the top preminum as it does not contain any ethanol and when you read the pump it usually says it does not contain any. Costs more but worth the extra pennies.

He also told me not to rely on fuel stabilizers to solve the ethenol moisture problem after I told him I always used Johnson/Evinrude's own brand and stayed away from the cheap stuff but usually ran Pioneer regular gas. Fine for the car he said, not for the boat.

I had to replace a black box on my mariner 4 stroke some kind of engine control module and I would lose power after it heated up and it would start running on 2 cylinders instead of 4.

I had to replace a black box on my mariner 4 stroke some kind of engine control module and I would lose power after it heated up and it would start running on 2 cylinders instead of 4.

Not sure if it matter or not..........but I have a 2 stroke VRO Johnson 50hp and it's been GREAT since I got her back in 1985......[/b ]but I ALWAYS run the gas out of it[/b] EVERY fall...... but before I do that I use Stabil fuel stabilizer thru the fuel system during the off season....