Simcoe change

Cudz

Ok,

I got out this morning with my dad for a few hours and I hit up 3 of my spots that always produce. Things are not the same. Can't put my fnger on it but fish are not where tey usually are. I caught only 2 smallies this morning and 1 was a dink. I only caught 4 perch and usually I catch like 25. Every rock is covered in slimy weed and again I see no crayfish. I saw 1 smallie cruising where I would usually see 15 in a day.

Next time I am out I am going to have to check out 2 other smallie spots.

Anyone else who chases the smalljaw on simcoe noticing any oddities?

gobies invading?

Been gobies in Simcoe for a long time... I've also found lots and lots of brown slimey weeds... I have a feeling the quick spring we had and the past few weeks of hot weather has done most of the damage.

I was dragging tubes tonight in 30+ft of water for smallies, lol...

Weeds have been a brown at a lot of lakes I've fished. I surprisingly did really well on couchiching on Saturday before the one that past. Managed a few 17-19 inches in 5-8 ft of water all on lip less cranks. The water was nasty though 40km gusts from the nw

Been gobies in Simcoe for a long time... I've also found lots and lots of brown slimey weeds... I have a feeling the quick spring we had and the past few weeks of hot weather has done most of the damage.

I was dragging tubes tonight in 30+ft of water for smallies, lol...

What do you consider a long time? I've only seen them the past 3 years. This year should be the peak. It will have an effect on the lake, for sure. I know the perch are full of them...the smallies should be too. I've been getting perch in different spots than usual this season, all due to gobies.

S.

What do you consider a long time? I've only seen them the past 3 years. This year should be the peak. It will have an effect on the lake, for sure. I know the perch are full of them...the smallies should be too. I've been getting perch in different spots than usual this season, all due to gobies.

S.

Caught a smallie the other day and he puked up a good sized gobie.

I also did fairly well opening weekend on Simcoe hooking into about 8 smallies but not yesterday. Also on opening day I pulled a smallie off a bed in 1.8 ft of water under lily pads. That was odd. I immediately released him in case he was still actually guarding the nest. I was actually so close to him when I caught him that I had a good look around to see if any of his fry were around. I did not see any so I threw to him.

I had Smallies on Beds in Lake Huron Opening weekend & the week after Opener in 1.5 to 3' of water & 78 degree water, some were 18" to 20+", we caught a few in 5' to 14' of water through out the day & figured we should have had more, made a run into the bay & saw lots around Beds or locked on them & wouldn't leave more then 4' to 6' away from them even when we drifted right over them?

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

Things way ahead this year Chris including weird weed growth that we are not used to seeing. Find some water that you like to fish that is clean they'll be loaded. Fish it like it is mid August.

Some of the early weedbeds I like to fish on Rice are alreay "Mung" and the fish have moved off.

S.

I've caught them in the Trent Severn Waterway for the past 5 years or so.. Gloucestor, Little Lake, Severn River. I'd assume Simcoe has had them for that long as well.

Most of my good smallies this year (Yesterday evening for example) are coming off deep weed edges, top water bite which should be good hasn't been at all.. Ah well, the oldman and I like drop shoting for a change of pace.

Edited by BillM

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been able to figure these smallies out? I've been out and tried 8-20 feet of water with only a few small ones and a ton of perch. I'm heading back out tomorrow morning to give it another try. All of the smallies my brother caught were on perch coloured, jointed rapalas.

My family just got a cottage on fox island. Don't tell me the fishing is tough :P lol

Studying a Topo map of the area shows fox island shoal, I would assume there would be some smallies hanging around there, any input?

We get the cottage Aug.1 and are going up for the long weekend. Another quick question, what is a good size tinny for simcoe? I'd assume atleast 16', wide bodied. Need to get a tinny so I can just leave it docked in summer and bring it on land and flip for winter as I have no means of transporting it.

Will upgrade to a bigger boat eventually, but want this for this year and the next!

Edited by d_paluch

My family just got a cottage on fox island. Don't tell me the fishing is tough :P lol

Studying a Topo map of the area shows fox island shoal, I would assume there would be some smallies hanging around there, any input?

We get the cottage Aug.1 and are going up for the long weekend. Another quick question, what is a good size tinny for simcoe? I'd assume atleast 16', wide bodied. Need to get a tinny so I can just leave it docked in summer and bring it on land and flip for winter as I have no means of transporting it.

Will upgrade to a bigger boat eventually, but want this for this year and the next!

At least a 14' wide, min 25hp and a good eye to the sky if your out a little too far.