Legend Boats

Matt Janes

Hey Everyone,

I think this is my first ever post on this site. I check the general discussion frequently to see all the monsters people are catching. On to the topic.

I am looking to buy a new boat. Right now I'm fishing out of an old 14 foot Starcraft Aluminum with a 15HP Merc motor (90's model). It does the job well and I've added all the things I could to make it comfortable but I need (want) something a bit nicer.

I am looking at the Legend 15 Angler. List price of 9,999. From doing a little research I hear that these boats are underpowered (only listed with a 20HP motor) and it takes a bit more cash to get a better motor. Also some of the finishes and carpeting I hear are cheaper fabrics.

I am looking for anyone information on this boat or any people's input who have experience with Legend boats (first or second hand info would be great!).

Obviously price is a major factor and I have looked at some similar Princecraft models that are at least 5000 more.

Thanks in advance!

What ever boat you get, generally you do want a motor that is near the top end of the boat rating. If you only use the boat in a smaller, sheltered area and don't travel far then you could get a way with less, but you may always kick yourself for not getting more hp to start. Some will also suggest that if/when you go to sell your package that if the motor is not maxed out it will be harder to sell.

Look, look and look. Lots of options out there. What might be one person's dream boat is not someone else's.

Hey Everyone,

I think this is my first ever post on this site. I check the general discussion frequently to see all the monsters people are catching. On to the topic.

I am looking to buy a new boat. Right now I'm fishing out of an old 14 foot Starcraft Aluminum with a 15HP Merc motor (90's model). It does the job well and I've added all the things I could to make it comfortable but I need (want) something a bit nicer.

I am looking at the Legend 15 Angler. List price of 9,999. From doing a little research I hear that these boats are underpowered (only listed with a 20HP motor) and it takes a bit more cash to get a better motor. Also some of the finishes and carpeting I hear are cheaper fabrics.

I am looking for anyone information on this boat or any people's input who have experience with Legend boats (first or second hand info would be great!).

Obviously price is a major factor and I have looked at some similar Princecraft models that are at least 5000 more.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2012 Legend XCaliber and am happy with it. The two things I recommend. 1st you already mentioned upgrading the motor. Its a must. Secondly, get the most trolling motor the boat can handle (battery compartment size) and that you can afford. For me the trolling motor is as important as the main motor.

It's ok to buy a 16' side console boat and CHOOSE to have a 25HP on it. You're the buyer, you make the choice. But to have it packaged that way as though it was a good, safe option, is nuts.

Cant go wrong with Legend..Just upgrade the motor. My friend has had one for many years..no leaks and very comfy..Good boats for the price IMO..Best part is they are from Canada..I dont think the boats themselves are but they are assembled and create employment right here in Ontario!

I just bought a new boat (Smokercraft). I learned a few things as this was my first big boat purchase.

1. Go as big as you can with the main motor. You want a motor that will move the boat nicely without running wide open. Ya its more money, but worth it.

2. As mentioned, spend the money on a good trolling motor. I laboured over buying a terrova with ipilot, but to me now that I have used it, is as important as anything.

3. Spend some serious time sitting in the boat before you buy. Bring your gear and see how it fits. I love my boat to death, but my rods dont fit in the storage (eyes are too big to slide in.... never thought of that).

Good luck.... excited for you.

I've always been partial to Princecraft boats had two and both were excellent. Lots of options out there don't rush research ask for some on water tests and then choose. But as someone said try to get the max rated on the boat if possible you won't regret it. Good hunting and let us know what you get. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by UglyBug

Hi,

I bought a Legend Prosport 16' two years ago, and am very happy with it. The boat & trailer were quite affordable, and I already had a 30hp Honda tiller to put on it. It moves nicely... 27-28mph when I am alone. It does not have a ton of bells and whistles, and is not a big water boat, but for the Kawarthas it does everything I need. Like others have mentioned, if you are going to buy a package, upgrade the motor to at least 75-80% of the max HP rating. A friend of mine bought a Legend similar to the one you are now looking at with a 30hp on it (rated for up to 60) and the boat performed very poorly. I also recommend Henry (Legend dealership near Barrie) - he helped me with my purchase and was great to deal with.

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

Why anybody would buy new is beyond me. Buy used let the guy buying new pay the big bucks and you buy it a few years later for huge savings. Then take the savings and pimp it out if you really want too.

All valid. The X-factor is what did the previous owner do (or didn't do) to the motor?

Hi,

I bought a Legend Prosport 16' two years ago, and am very happy with it. The boat & trailer were quite affordable, and I already had a 30hp Honda tiller to put on it. It moves nicely... 27-28mph when I am alone. It does not have a ton of bells and whistles, and is not a big water boat, but for the Kawarthas it does everything I need. Like others have mentioned, if you are going to buy a package, upgrade the motor to at least 75-80% of the max HP rating. A friend of mine bought a Legend similar to the one you are now looking at with a 30hp on it (rated for up to 60) and the boat performed very poorly. I also recommend Henry (Legend dealership near Barrie) - he helped me with my purchase and was great to deal with.

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

Pete

I have this same exact boat with a 30 merc 2 stroke on it.. Purchased june 2011 as new..

So far I'm very happy with it.. But I agree with the masses and upgrading the motor is a must ( a 9.9 on a 16 ft is a joke!).. Also watch the price of the options - $250 per seat and $799 for a 45lb motor guide is crazy.. I opted to buy seats at a local sudbury dealer for $70ea. And a 55lb minn Kota bow mount for $599.. A little more work to install but I'm happy with what I have. I did shop around but what I found was either the price was too high for what I wanted ( the legend layout is Exactly how I wanted the lay out - no benches)

or they didn't offer what I wanted ( ie: no front casting deck)

So all in all, shop around and price out what YOU want, it's your money.. But don't rule out Legend just because they "apparently" aren't as good as a Lund or princecraft.

I

exactly

X3.. My reason to purchase new was because I got sick of wasting time fixing old junk motors ( factor in time Not spent with family)before actually getting out to fish.. and tippy, leaking boats... I'm not looking back in regret because it's going to last me into my 50's

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! The wealth of information on this forum is incredible. Obviously I haven't decided on a boat yet but when looking at the motor upgrades on the legend website I noticed that the price for a 50HP 4 stroke is $4500 and for the 50HP 2 stroke it's only 1800. Any real downfall to going with the 2 stroke instead of the 4 stroke? Obviously it's a major price difference but I have limited knowledge with this.

Thanks Again,

Matt

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! The wealth of information on this forum is incredible. Obviously I haven't decided on a boat yet but when looking at the motor upgrades on the legend website I noticed that the price for a 50HP 4 stroke is $4500 and for the 50HP 2 stroke it's only 1800. Any real downfall to going with the 2 stroke instead of the 4 stroke? Obviously it's a major price difference but I have limited knowledge with this.

Thanks Again,

Matt

2's are a bit louder on idle and smell more they are peppier I love my 90 it pushes my 1825 lund at 40mph I don't think a 4stroke would hit that on my hull .Definately go max HP I still kick myself but I don't think a 125 would do to much more than the 90hp

After running a 4 stroke now for a few years, I would never go back to a 2... they are quiet, no oil to mix with the gas, great on fuel efficiency, and virtually no smell/fumes. However I know some of the bigger, newer 2 strokes are much improved, and run much cleaner than 2 strokes of yesterday. As for the new vs. used debate, I bought a used boat a few years ago - with my current Honda - the boat was a lemon, and caused me a lot of headaches, but the motor has been awesome. Always a bit of a gamble buying anything used... try and buy from someone you know takes good care of their gear if possible.

Peter