Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing

Billy Bob

I haven't been on Lake Ontario for a while, being a perch and walleye guy....but my perch/walleye fishing buddy kept hounding me to tag along on a trip he set up with a friend that runs a charter boat out of Rochester, NY......that's a 1.5 hour ride from my house but I said OK.......then he calls me and says the 4th guy dropped out and could I get someone to make the 4th guy...one call to my high school buddy John and he was in if he could get the day off......that was no problem....with Don living in Lockport and John and I living only 3 miles away we met up with Don and his youngest son Adam at the Genesee River at 5:15am.....not much sleep that night......

So we started trolling straight out of the river at 80 feet and it was constant action......we lost quite a few half way in or right after they hit....twice we had a triple header on, but only landed the 3 at once one time...the first time I lost a horse after having it on for about 5 minutes ...it came to the surface and rolled about 50-60 feet from the boat....but I did make up for that on the last fish of the day....it was Mr Ed, weighing in at 28 lbs....largest fish of the day....I also got the largest Steelhead....so a GREAT day to be on the water.....waves never broke 6" and most times FLAT CALM.....

So I'll just let the pics do the rest of the story....

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12011.jpg

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12001.jpg

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12014.jpg

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12019.jpg

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12022.jpg

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12026.jpg

We weren't sure what the official total fish count was so the first mate Matt took them all out of the coolers and spread them out on the deck...also made a good opportunity to photo them.....well the count was 11 fish and while everyone was taking pics the far left rod that was a dipsy on wire sprang into action....

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12028.jpg

It was yours truely turn.......it was a heavy fish and wouldn't quit....with the peanut gallery behind me warning me this could be a limit.....DON'T lose it, I fought it with caution.....nearly 6 minutes later we got a good look at this horse "MR. ED" he was named......but now he wanted to run under the boat.....LOTS of pressure on the rod kept him from doing that....and a minute or two later he came to the net...

LakeOntarioSalmonFishing7-13-12031.jpg

After a day like that I often wonder how anybody could go back to perch and walleye fishing.

I guess I'd have to be a fish eater to appreciate it.

Great pic's and post.

I agree lol. I hate fishing perch and walleye. Only good thing about them is taste lol.

Who eating those giants things? LOL

They have been filleted and steaked.....vacuum pack and now frozen solid to take to my daughter in-law in Cortland.......she loves salmon.....I like to smoke it so a couple packages will stay here.....once smoked we make a mean fish dip with it....great for parties.

Bob

those are the days us Lake O addicts live for. Sweet day on the water BB.thumbsup_anim.gif

For us anything over 24" is back to catch again unless its too far gone to revive - but when you're paying for a charter it sure nice to take a little more than memories and pictures home at the end of the day.. Smoked, bbq or fried, nothing like today's fish.

As for perch fishin - well, that's one I just don't get. Way too much work in and out of the boat for that meal. Each to his own

if someone wants to eat it then let them eat it. why make them feel bad about doing so. besides, that dip does sound badass billy b

And it's very easy to make........PAY ATTENTION....you hear me BillyM..LOL

After smoking. cool fish and put in the FRIDGE......not the freezer..

The day you are entertaining.....that means you have guest over...and you feed them....LOL................take the cold smoked fish and chop it up like tuna fish.......then add some Ranch Dressing.....make it the way you like...dry or not so dry....then add a little chopped onion......and put it back in the fridge....

Now get some more chopped onion, chopped hot peppers, sweet peppers, tomatoes and some nice crackers.........put the fish dip in the middle and surround it with all the condiments.....other condiments could be olives, pickles or whatever.....this has always been a great hit at all my deck parties....almost as good as my secret BBQ SHRIMP....ask Big Cliff or Simon about that recipe.... :)

That had to be a blast and gettin into them so quickly.....even more fun!!! Hope to have similar results this weekend. Same situation.....friend of a friend has a charter boat and I got the invite. Should I be a know it all and tell him " drop here, fish are piled up in 80 fow" lmao