new First Nation Chief get's tough on the Ring Of Fire

chris.brock

Moonias, whose community of 300 people is 80 kilometres west of the Ring of Fire, has warned there will be a confrontation if a moratorium on development doesn’t occur. He wants a rigorous environmental assessment done on the effects of the mine on the Attawapiskat and Albany River watersheds.

“I would put my life on the line. When the government told me they made an agreement with Cliffs to develop the Ring of Fire and build a road, I said if they want to cross the (Attawapiskat) river, they’ll have to kill me first,” Moonias told the Star

Good on him for standing up to the greedy government. I'm all for this NOT happening. When will the rape and pillaging of our planet ever end?

When will it end?

hmmm....do you drive a vehicle? do you have a boat/outboard manufactured from aluminum, steel, etc? do you enjoy shopping at a grocery store from which the building is constructed from natural resources? the logistics involved to deliver food involve vehicles manufactured from natural resources?

do you value the advancements in medical services in the last centuries? the high quality stainless steel tools used by doctors? the paper kids write and learn on in school?

do we see my point?

everything on this planet is connected, if you don't want to continue to "rape and pillage" then feel free to sacrifice all of the above, catch your fish with a spear you carved from a sharpened pice of limestone, build a house of mud and fallen sticks (not timbered wood), grow your own vegetables and harvest your own game meat with a hand made bow...but wait even then you're consuming natural resources....and so is a deer that eats forest vegetation and so is a beaver that builds a dam and destroys a brookie stream

it's not about what we don't do....it's about how we do the things that support our daily life...and mining/producing any natural resource in an efficient and responsible manner, accountablity, reclamation projects after mining is completed, advancemnts in heavy equipment to run cleaner, improved environmental design and testing of the production process

I don't know where/how to find the facts but I guarantee that 95% of households do not recyle everything they could possible recycle

we can't deny there have been ecological disasters from natural resouce industries but lessons are learned and things do improve....ie the recent BP spill or any other similar situation, the company surely did not want to revenue from the inventory lost during the spill and the associated costs of the aftermath

mining won't stop, logging won't stop, fort mac won't shut down over night because a pipe burst caused by a local indigenous resident who took a pot shot at a pipe

I will keep my opinion to myself about the first nation issues.....but I think people need to really take a good hard look at EVERYTHING they use in their daily life and really think about where did this come from? how was it produced? am I willing to give this up?

Edited by bare foot wader

When will it end?

hmmm....do you drive a vehicle? do you have a boat/outboard manufactured from aluminum, steel, etc? do you enjoy shopping at a grocery store from which the building is constructed from natural resources? the logistics involved to deliver food involve vehicles manufactured from natural resources?

do you value the advancements in medical services in the last centuries? the high quality stainless steel tools used by doctors? the paper kids write and learn on in school?

do we see my point?

everything on this planet is connected, if you don't want to continue to "rape and pillage" then feel free to sacrifice all of the above, catch your fish with a spear you carved from a sharpened pice of limestone, build a house of mud and fallen sticks (not timbered wood), grow your own vegetables and harvest your own game meat with a hand made bow...but wait even then you're consuming natural resources....and so is a deer that eats forest vegetation and so is a beaver that builds a dam and destroys a brookie stream

it's not about what we don't do....it's about how we do the things that support our daily life...and mining/producing any natural resource in an efficient and responsible manner, accountablity, reclamation projects after mining is completed, advancemnts in heavy equipment to run cleaner, improved environmental design and testing of the production process

I don't know where/how to find the facts but I guarantee that 95% of households do not recyle everything they could possible recycle

we can't deny there have been ecological disasters from natural resouce industries but lessons are learned and things do improve....ie the recent BP spill or any other similar situation, the company surely did not want to revenue from the inventory lost during the spill and the associated costs of the aftermath

mining won't stop, logging won't stop, fort mac won't shut down over night because a pipe burst caused by a local indigenous resident who took a pot shot at a pipe

I will keep my opinion to myself about the first nation issues.....but I think people need to really take a good hard look at EVERYTHING they use in their daily life and really think about where did this come from? how was it produced? am I willing to give this up?

We are already getting our cars, homes, grocery stores etc without the Ring of Fire. There's not many wild places left, hopefully they leave this one alone.

BFW, you are essentially correct... This is how the world turns; we need what's in/on the ground.

On the otherhand, I can guarantee you that Cliffs resources doesn't give a shart about the land... Our government based environmental watch dogs are being cut out to the point of uselessness by the Feds and so its good to have someonen with some kind of power, trying to ensure things are done appropriately.

We are already getting our cars, homes, grocery stores etc without the Ring of Fire. There's not many wild places left, hopefully they leave this one alone.

But the world is an ever evolving place. You make it sound like we are all set until the end of time. Bare Foot Wader makes an excellent point. Sure, there's huge profits and sacricifices to be made, but that's because the planet desperately needs this stuff. I've spent several months on Moonias' reserve and he has plenty of issues to clean up in his own back yard before he takes on the world.

But the world is an ever evolving place. You make it sound like we are all set until the end of time. Bare Foot Wader makes an excellent point. Sure, there's huge profits and sacricifices to be made, but that's because the planet desperately needs this stuff. I've spent several months on Moonias' reserve and he has plenty of issues to clean up in his own back yard before he takes on the world.

When all the sacrifices have been made, that will be the end of time!

I hope this stays with the leafs or it may be ugly. Roy and Aplumma and others are getting ready to flush!

On a serious note let's do what e can to conserve and protect what we have. Do you know how many fish I've saved from the pan. lol

I hope this stays with the leafs or it may be ugly. Roy and Aplumma and others are getting ready to flush!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, cause I'm the meanest %*&%&^#$ in the valley. :)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, cause I'm the meanest %*&%&^#$ in the valley. :)

dang I'm glad to see the vocabulary around here expanding to include a few colourful word

LOL

LMAO Roy. On Wedesday July the 4th look up at about 9pm I'll be passing over the 'Valley' on my way way east. Our friend Irish says it best " Life is short and it has and expiry date". Which we both had experiences last year.

Let us not argue over what we can't control but express our grievances and also use self-control on what we can do to help this planet/ our living space.

" Throwing stones injures people, gathering stones builds walls".

have a good summer all OFNers. I'm gone for a month!

A

LMAO Roy. On Wedesday July the 4th look up at about 9pm I'll be passing over the 'Valley' on my way way east. Our friend Irish says it best " Life is short and it has and expiry date". Which we both had experiences last year.

Let us not argue over what we can't control but express our grievances and also use self-control on what we can do to help this planet/ our living space.

" Throwing stones injures people, gathering stones builds walls".

have a good summer all OFNers. I'm gone for a month!

A

Have a great and safe time, Albert.

we either get smart now, or....... dig it all up, cut it all down and fish it all out and then try to get smart

the planet needs this stuff like I need a hole in the head

Moonias' reserve might have some garbage in their backyard, or some dicey septic systems but that can't compare to the environmental disaster big business resource extraction causes

some ok, temporary jobs (CEO's win big) while the planet continues down the toilet

Edited by chris.brock

I completely support the need to protect the environment, but it's about balance, for example I am strongly opposed to shell's idea to frack the methane beds in northern BC, directly in the head waters of the skeena...so perhaps I've missed the ecological importance of this proposal, but there are ten's of thousands of other square kilometres of muskeg country across canada...with and without first nation impact

the chromite proposal provides infrastructure to the first nations community/northern ON long after the mine has consumed the resource...roads, airports, power, etc...every mine site on first nations land requires that a certain percentage of the work force be first nation...it provides long term employment for all Ontarians (regardless of status)....most mine plans are forecasted at minimum 15-20 yrs, many last 50 or more, as long as there is more resource in the ground....it boosts Canadian/North American economy, why do we need to rely on supply from asia when we have it in our own backyard? or does it not matter that we are support the demand to destroy the environment across the other side of the globe where we don't see it?

I work at an open pit coal mine, it's been here 11 yrs already and the current lease is 13 yrs with an option to extend to 20....the surface is scraped, drilling, blast the mountain apart, shovel out the coal, fill in the pit, top soil, grass and tree...the wildlife is still booming, moose, grizzlies, blackies, cougars, elk, white tail, mulies, wolves, yotes, i see them all every week (maybe not cougars, except at the pub ha)...a concentrated area of the mountain is being destroyed and will be naturalized has the pits are fully mined

Canada has a weak economy, our natural resources are our largest asset, we need to balance the act of protection and utilizing our resources....the pipeline is huge controversy about the environment and "adversly affecting" first nations culture and heritage somehow....IMO the biggest issue is why do we sell our resources to other countries and then buy the refined product back at 5 times the cost

I completely support the need to protect the environment, but it's about balance, for example I am strongly opposed to shell's idea to frack the methane beds in northern BC, directly in the head waters of the skeena...so perhaps I've missed the ecological importance of this proposal, but there are ten's of thousands of other square kilometres of muskeg country across canada...with and without first nation impact

the chromite proposal provides infrastructure to the first nations community/northern ON long after the mine has consumed the resource...roads, airports, power, etc...every mine site on first nations land requires that a certain percentage of the work force be first nation...it provides long term employment for all Ontarians (regardless of status)....most mine plans are forecasted at minimum 15-20 yrs, many last 50 or more, as long as there is more resource in the ground....it boosts Canadian/North American economy, why do we need to rely on supply from asia when we have it in our own backyard? or does it not matter that we are support the demand to destroy the environment across the other side of the globe where we don't see it?

I work at an open pit coal mine, it's been here 11 yrs already and the current lease is 13 yrs with an option to extend to 20....the surface is scraped, drilling, blast the mountain apart, shovel out the coal, fill in the pit, top soil, grass and tree...the wildlife is still booming, moose, grizzlies, blackies, cougars, elk, white tail, mulies, wolves, yotes, i see them all every week (maybe not cougars, except at the pub ha)...a concentrated area of the mountain is being destroyed and will be naturalized has the pits are fully mined

I hear ya, but I'm a little biased because this is a place I like to go and fish. When you're there, you feel like you're the first person to ever be there and cast a line. It would be a shame for it urbanized.

A few weeks ago, there was a story about a lumber mill, the company ran out of harvestable forest and was considering closing the mill (BC), the government was considering opening up some previously protected old growth forest for the mill to keep running. That just delays the unemployment and destroys the remaining old growth. If the industry is resource based, I think all involved (workers, companies) should understand and accept the risks of things drying up.

You're lucky to live/ work in an awesome place, I've seen a few cougars here in Oakville too, at the Moonshadow Cafe.

Canada has a weak economy, our natural resources are our largest asset, we need to balance the act of protection and utilizing our resources....the pipeline is huge controversy about the environment and "adversly affecting" first nations culture and heritage somehow....IMO the biggest issue is why do we sell our resources to other countries and then buy the refined product back at 5 times the cost

I hear ya, but I'm a little biased because this is a place I like to go and fish. When you're there, you feel like you're the first person to ever be there and cast a line. It would be a shame for it urbanized.

A few weeks ago, there was a story about a lumber mill, the company ran out of harvestable forest and was considering closing the mill (BC), the government was considering opening up some previously protected old growth forest for the mill to keep running. That just delays the unemployment and destroys the remaining old growth. If the industry is resource based, I think all involved (workers, companies) should understand and accept the risks of things drying up.

You're lucky to live/ work in an awesome place, I've seen a few cougars here in Oakville too, at the Moonshadow Cafe.