One of Lifes Many Detours NF

Use your networking, what do you do? I own a business and have daily contact with a number of business owners. You never know what may come up. Even if I'm not in the same area may be able to refer you. Was just talking to a business associated in Montreal yesterday. We should do this for all members of the community. PM me if you'd like.

Bill

Been down this road twice ,this has happened to both me and my wife. Both were at our jobs for 17 years when it happened.Just thank god it did not happen at the same time. We are both lucky because we both landed jobs which we are better and happier at.Just keep a positive attitude and things will work out.

Mike, I've been down this road, and made some mistakes in the process, so what I have to offer is designed to help you find another job ASAP.

- Get professional help with your resume. That person should help you quantify your accomplishments, as opposed to providing a laundry list of tasks and responsibilities. Especially in sales, that's really important.

- Naturally, sign up to the major sites: Workopolis, Simply Hired, etc

- See a headhunter. The sooner the better. (See above re resume).

- As mentioned, use your network, hard. It's easier than negotiating what can be a painstaking process of applying online, but you have to do both.

- Get out of the house while you're in search mode. Phone sales mangers of companies you want to work for, (make a list), and ask to buy them a coffee so you can introduce yourself, (in the case when you don't know the individual), or when you do know the individual, so you can talk about the prospect of finding a place in the firm, and failing that, get a referral from them.

It's sales.

I'm sure there's more, but I hope that helps a little bit.

Good Luck, and stay positive.

Chris

Edited by backbay

Sorry to hear that, Mike. But really, these things always happen for a reason. Chris has a well thought out path for you in the above post. I'm convinced you'll be better off at the next job. It's always a catastrophe when these things happen but they almost always work out for the better. Just stay cool and work at getting back in there.

Sorry to hear. It does happen and I've lost a lot of good people who were let go. My daughter just got let go from CT head office. New manager came in and made a statement! Her husband is a GM with CT! But it happens.

One thing I've learned with many years of experience is to always network. I've hired my teachers and recently hired a friend who's business isn't going well and was a great asset and hopefully bring him back very shortly.

just keep knocking and you will be fine be fine.

I got laid off from my job at Christmas time in 1999.

I used the opportunity to go back to school.

EI paid for 1/2 and paid me while at school (however at a reduced rate after my regular EI ran out).

I got a job in my field before graduation and am now employed with the Govt. have a great pension and make great $$$$.

Getting laid off was the best thing that could have happened!!!!! :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

I too found myself there, back in 2001. Having just moved to the Kawarthas a few years before, I was worried I'd be selling my dream home on the lake and scurrying back to the GTA if I couldn't find anything local (and quickly). Luckily enough, I was able to get onboard with a Peterborough based company within 3 months and was able to stay put on the lake.

Keep your head up and keep looking, you just got new full-time work, it's called job-hunting.

Sounds all too firmiliar to me...laid off for 10 months in 08, locked out for a year in 2010,...back to work but in a crappy area of the plant(GLAD TO BE WORKING THOUGH)... AND wife recently lost her job... so we are hanging on by a thread right now. You will quickly learn to be frugal. It sucks when you can't even spare the cash for gas to go fishing.....food and shelter first..then fun..