Dusey Lake Outpost ~ Journey To A Brook Trout Zoo

solopaddler

Thanks everyone! :)

DuseyJun2-92012185.jpg

I think you got at least one.. Sorry if I'm wrong. :lol:

You're wrong, I've been waiting for months now. :whistling:

Awesome report

Making me change my thinking on outpost versus American Plan

Absolutely no contest imo. There's nothing like being on a single cabin outpost lake.

The total isolation is worth every penny.

Gotta say though, seeing those rapids would make me want to schlepp my whitewater canoes up as well ;)

It was done this spring actually. Two of the young lads waiting at the dock when I flew in had paddled the upper river down to the outpost camp meeting their friends there.

By all accounts it wasn't a great experience for them, what with the super high water and crappy weather.

Still, it's a good idea.

As mentioned I paddled the entire river myself many many years ago.

Bear in mind though, there is no info on the river. Location of rapids is an educated guess, and there are no portage trails.

The bush up there is very dense as well making portaging even more of a challenge.

It's not a trip for the novice or for the faint of heart.

The other obvious factor is cost. There is no road access for either the put in or the take out. You're paying for expensive air charter at both ends. Unless of course you're like I was 23 odd years ago and can set aside 11/2 months for the trip. Then you can start just north of Nakina, paddle down the Dusey to the Ogoki, then up the Ogoki to Wabakimi park and ultimately end at the rail line in Armstrong. :)

Edited by Mike Borger

One of the best reports ever posted here Mike Borger. Even better than Solo paddlers. Thanks Mike. Just awesome.

Thanks Dan.

IMO there's no better angling experience than fishing a big northern river for wild brookies. That alone made it special in my books.

I'm not sure who's "more hooked'---the fish or your son!thumbsup_anim.gif

Anything special about those leaders? Looks like heavy duty mono as well as a heavy duty snap and swivel.

Hey Harold, the heavy fluoro leaders are the way to go these days. They stand up to sharp teeth, last a long time, are easier on the fish when they start rolling around, and are less visible.

They're commonly available at most tackle shope. Even Bass Pro sells them:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Musky-Fluorocarbon-Leader-with-Barrel-Swivel/product/10211218/66741

DuseyJun2-92012185.jpg

I think you got at least one.. Sorry if I'm wrong. :lol:

Great report Mike, looks like a good time was had by all and weather, bugs and fish were co-operating. Looks like a Doctor spoon there, just curious, did the Hairy Killer produce anything?

No worries Highdrifter, your floro leaders stood up to many a toothy Pike at Eddie's again this year and never let me down!

Rob

Great report Mike, looks like a good time was had by all and weather, bugs and fish were co-operating. Looks like a Doctor spoon there, just curious, did the Hairy Killer produce anything?

HAHA! No Rob the hairy killer did not produce. The old guys got a kick out of the package though:

"Wet Hairy Killer properly before you start fishing.Let Hairy Killer hang halfway from the top and make pendulum cast. Fish with frequent spin stops. When Hairy Killer stops it pumps up to its full splendour"

:lol:

Edited by Mike Borger

Simply amazing Mike. I think back to when my son was your son's age, how glad I am he loved to fish. Fishing has held us together during some trying teenage times I'm happy to mention are now over. My proudest moment came when I realized the student had passed the master. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, glad you enjoyed!

I think this Mike Borger guy might have knocked Solopaddler off the podium in terms of awesome reports. :whistling:

Have you ever ready Misery by Stephen King?

He is doing my bidding.

Bwah Ha Ha! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Like always, Mike, a great read, wonderful fishing, and some beautiful pics there, some of them definitely worth framing. You're a lucky guy to have seen and fished places like that. Maybe one day for the rest of us. Keep enjoying my friend.

Miro

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...