Musky net

lew

For the last 6 or 7 years I've been using a Frabil musky net. I was always happy with the very strong frame & hoop but never really liked the bag. It's big enough but tapers to the middle and it often made it awkward getting the fish out.

I've fished with friends that use Beckman musky nets and I always liked the big Fin Saver Pen net, but found the handles and hoops to be very flimsy. Their basically a big flatbottomed holding pen and it just makes life much easier when the fish can lay in the open bag.

I decided to have the best of both, so I ordered a replacement Beckman bag and put it on my Frabil frame.

This makes a great set-up now and will be much better for releasing muskies.

1st pic is the old Frabil bag and you can see how it narrows to basically a point.

001-1-3.jpg

And this is the new Beckman bag on the old Frabil frame.

It's a good sized bag and is wide & deep but you can see how it's square and flat on the bottoms and sides. It'll be much easier on both the fish and myself.

002-2.jpg

I tried all over Southern Ontario and nobody had the bag so I called Rollie & Helens Musky Shop in Wisconsin and they had it to me in less than a week.....great service and it only cost me $12 to have it sent up Priority Mail.

I seems as though Beckman is owned by Lindy Fishing but this darned net is Made in China :wallbash:

Don't we make ANYTHING in North America anymore ??

Thanks guys, I think this net is gonna work out very well.

I've often thought that would make the perfect Muskie net! Thouhj I'm convinced the Beckman bag used to be made out of a better(softer) material than it is now...

Dax, I'm wondering if your thinking of the bags without the coating to protect the fish ??

This one has the coating but it's still quite soft, infact it's much more flexible than the Frabil bag.

Great livewell net, for about 200 perch bud. :lol:

I just had a stroke of genius :angel:

I can make a floating perch bag out of my old net.

All I'll need is a foam pool snake!

Edited by krixxer

I just had a stroke of genius :angel:

LOL I know an old fella that does it off the side of his boat.The handle is held by a salt water rig. Darn those newfs are smart eh. :D

I just had a stroke of genius angel.png

Now alls ya got to do Oliveoil is puts the garbage can lid to it so's da fish don't gets out . ... lol

Great idea Lew. You want to sell your old mesh? I could come get it friday morning. I could use a new one. Mine is out dated, and every hook that gets close to it, gets caught in it! I'm only about a half hour from you.

S.