The May Days Multi-Fish Report.

Moosebunk

Each year across Ontario and during the month of May, anglers come alive to begin living out their winter long dreams of seeking out fresh, spring, fish. With all the new seasons beginning to open up, the society of trout doods, the walleye and pike broods, the pannie poppers, sammy slammers, followed by the muskie maniacs and later the bass terds, all increase that fishing buzz which swarms about in the air creating a mass fishsteria. It's an exciting time, and May really is a pinnacle month for many of us within the fishing circus.

From an online perspective and a decade of cycling through seasonal fishing discussions and reports, spring provides a rebirth to the new fishing year. The forums support some of the absolute best and most energetic reports, as many anglers are truly happy to see the softwater beneath the gunnels, and those long awaited fish hit the hooks. This spring their have been some really superb walleye, trout, pike, crappie and salmon reports already, and those who posted should pat themselves on the back for not only giving of themselves for others enjoyment, but also helping fuel a fishing energy which will carry us further into the summer.

It's been almost three years since moving back to the valley from Moose Factory and James Bay. Each May on the Moose, I would take time off work to ensure that a full week would be spent on the water at the walleye opener. Every day not working after the ice breaks-up; yet before walleye opened, would be spent exploring further stretches of swollen northern rivers such as the Moose, North French and Cheepas. A year long open season for pike, I would start searching for them first, but, also keep a kean ear to the local whispers of searun speckled trout entering the feeder creeks. Spring is when our eyes open wide, adventures begin, and our atrophied casting muscles harden again with each swing of the rod.

may-open08-84.jpg

may-open08-38.jpg

Spring09-85.jpg

WarCanoe Adventures - 2009.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32551

So in all essence, May would historically be a favorite month for fishing. The times back then allowed easier chance during high navigable waters to find fishing success for all species offered in my old home of James Bay. Since leaving the north and joining those folks who's fishing and reports had been endearing to me, I am lucky enough nowadays to enjoy all the new and different species, styles of fishing, and chance encounters to fish with some who's fishing certainly inspired me through the years. Did I say already that I love the month of May???

Since leaving off last at April lakers and crappies, this past month I fished more than I really should admit to. We'll just say, May fishing is a drug. Those casting muscles were surely medicated, as mine went from tired to fit to exhausted again, while I chased after trout, gar and walleye. A Birthday early in the month too, myself, friends and family never stopped opening gifts until June arrived. May was certainly a party!!!

Anyways... here are pics hot off the press which should highlight some of the month's great times.

A day spent splaking with Mike during which we bumped into my old friend Keith. Sadly no fish were caught, but Mike pulling a cold Corona out of his bag during our shorelunch was a sure way to escape into a different sense of happiness while being out fishing. Enjoyed that Mike, as it's rare that other than on big trips nowadays, a Coleman Stove lunch with a cold beer makes an outing that much better .

Spring12-055-1.jpg

Spring12-056-1.jpg

The day after my Birthday I roused early, and with the ATV loaded took off for a high-elevation back lake. An hour to park the truck and another hour to quad-in over some wickedly rocky and tough mountain terrain, by 8:00am I was enjoying total solitude with a cup of coffee while the sun tried it's best to peek through the clouds. Two full passes around the lake in the float-tube chucking various lures, the speckles just wouldn't co-operate that morning. I lived though, and later Bren bought me a Birthday dinner before we shared a night with Brian Adams.

Spring12-057-1.jpg

Spring12-058-1.jpg

Spring12-059-1.jpg

Spring12-060-1.jpg

Summer caught me spending a little down time at home preparing for... you guessed it... more time planned for fishing. A recent change to my usual routine now permits me more hours than I realized for other things I used to do more often. Lure making and jig tying, and playing my bass are a couple of those hobbies. Sure was a little rusty with both, but improving.

At $12.95 + tax, for a Vibrax In-line Buck, simply buying the #5 spinners separate, up-sizing the treble and taking to the vice to tie in your own patterns, the cost breaks down to basically 2 lures for 1, or less. But what's better is, it is your choice of hook and materials. So, rather than "just" bucktail, you can add saddle feathers, flashabou, marabou, hackles, etc., and double the glue, if you choose. Your own dressed trebles can and will last longer and have twice vibrance, that you can ensure yourself. As for the jigs, well they work out to about $2.00 a piece after buying the heads and throwing in your own work. Worth it to have what you want, and even more so when a fish strikes one of your own creations.

Spring12-090-1.jpg

Spring12-144.jpg

Kesagami Killers!!! Some tried and true trophy takers like "The Bleeding Rabbit" (white/red) and "The Sexy." (yellow/red)

Spring12-138.jpg

Trout Takers!!! Patterns sorta-kinda like speckled trout, smelt/shiner, walleye/perch and whatever something bluish, purple, olive might be.

What would be spring without walleye at the walleye opener? Three efforts produced a number of fish. First attempt was a new lake pike and eye combo with friends Kevin and Trevor. Pike in the afternoon were hard to come by as much time was spent shaking off annoying largies, and that evening the eyes remained a mystery. Later on I snuck away on two solo back lake trips with the WarCanoe. First night jigged up about a dozen and a half with a few doozies pushing or over twenty inches. The second chance no big fish came aboard but I did find a small pocket and window for nine dinkeroos to take my jigs.

Spring12-119.jpg

Spring12-120.jpg

Spring12-121.jpg

Incidentals were incidentals. I got a real kick out of two fish this spring. A head hooked carp proved to be one buggah of a brick to reel in, while a beat-up looking, spawning bullhead had just enough mojo to actually make my thumb bleed when it bit me after trying to lip it. OK Fiish... I'm convinced to get a glove, but not for pike, just the bullies.

Spring12-104.jpg

Spring12-108.jpg

And finally the month finished out with the opening of lake trout on the Rideau. Unfortunately, I had to work. Yes... actually work during that beautiful, sunny weather Saturday and Sunday that proved to be a laker-slay-fest for the many locals who made it out. By Monday and especially Wednesday, pressure and cold fronts had settled in slowing the bite down some, (excuses) but 2 X 4-hour efforts for 8-hours brought aboard eight fish for friends Mike, Patty and myself. Some quality fish too during a tougher bite.

Spring12-135.jpg

Spring12-134.jpg

Spring12-140.jpg

Spring12-143.jpg

Spring12-137.jpg

Thanks to those who came aboard last month. Appreciated.

Bunk.

What did you use at the top of your modified trebles for the spinners? Just head cement or is it shrink wrap?

After the whip finish, just lots of Head Cement. Three finishing coats per treble, waiting each time for the earlier coat to harden up... two coats for the jigs.

Problem in the past I've had with about half of the Li'l Hustlers, Mepps and BlueFox dressed trebles on their spinners is after a day or two of numerous pike (or just one bad fish) is the thread unravels and lets go, then hair falls out. Once a few hairs are gone it's done. More glue, more glue, more glue and tighter wraps doing smaller amounts of hair at a time helps them last longer. :good:

excellent fish, excellent pictures and well written....really living the dream

RE tying the bucktail, less hair with tighter wraps helps and cement in between layers too....you could also try tying the tail end towards the head, tie in the butts and then fold the tail ends back down and continue wrapping...adds some bulk to the head but helps with durability

you could also try tying the tail end towards the head, tie in the butts and then fold the tail ends back down and continue wrapping...adds some bulk to the head but helps with durability

Not a bad idea foldin' them over for bulk. Something like a gobie or sculpin which has a bigger head, may be better immitated.

Thanks for the props gang.

Grantilla... we'll see ya soon!