NY Bassin Report

Hey everybody, well let me tell you about my fishing trip to Chautauqua Lake your about to read was some of the most fun on the water and such a great learning experience for me. I went on a little trip of a lifetime with some well known Shimano guys and some of the dealers from stores across Ontario.

Our mission was catching bass, we went for 3 days early in May and it was awesome fishing under apparently tougher conditions. Water was cold in the low to mid 50’s for the days we were there. Beds were made and left so fish were again off shore, to cap it off we got poured on for the 3 days and of course that made for muddy water in areas.

I got to fish Chautauqua Lake in NY, I fished a number of techniques like football jigs, crankbaits, and drop shot were the main techniques I got by with and caught my fair share of fish.

Let me say the knowledge base of the guys I fished with blew me away, these guys really are professionals and I always stopped to listen and take in tips and advice regardless of how much I think I know :P

Anyway onto the fishing, we arrived at 11am and were off the water by 4pm the first day. Caught lot’s of largemouth and I managed to find a nice 4lb class smallie

O ya, did I mention bass boats were new to me(the way these guys fish you need them, such amazing tools these boats are)

ScreenHunter_01May091618.jpg

Myself with a nice smallmouth

ScreenHunter_08May091621.jpg

Day two was fun but it did not stop pouring from boat launch until 3pm in the afternoon. Got to head out with JP for half the day, caught a bunch of fish and had a blast, here was a chunky fish for a photo

ScreenHunter_11May091622.jpg

After lunch I got to head out again but in a different boat, got to learn how to drop shot a little more and caught less fish but with nicer size.

First fish after lunch

ScreenHunter_13May091622.jpg

Another big smallie i caught on the trip, close to 5lb’s I would assume, 6lb line I was worried but play your fish right and success follows!

ScreenHunter_16May091623.jpg

Well this was just about it, I got out one last time on our last morning but time was limited as we only had until 11am before we had to drive the few hours home. I got treated again to search out some big fish with JP and he got me onto some nice fish, here is my PB smallmouth, again no weight or measurement but what a fight, 5lb class for sure maybe more.

ScreenHunter_19May091624.jpg

Well that about sums it up but what I liked mostly about this trip was having the option to use a variety of Shimano gear including all the current new rods and reels. It was nice using the more affordable bait casters like Citica’s and Curado’s. From personal use casting baits all day and catching fish, the reels are great, mechanics are there and that is comforting to know as many people are starting top try them out and with good results.

No walleye report from me yet, hopefully next week. Got my taste of bass fishing and it has kept me thinking like crazy these last 3 weeks about opener.

Tightlines and play safe this summer everybody,

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Great Report MTBFclapping.gif Awesome fish, and sexy boats !! My Brother has a Ranger and i love the speed.

Triton Eh? Nice, but i heard they were prone to excessive Chine Walk at WOTdunno.gif

I got to ride in a Triton, Ranger and JP's Basscat...let me tell you the basscat is bar none the best machine of the 3...storage and handyness of the layout is amazing..deck space was way more than both boats also. I would kill to own any bass boat but when I do get one a Basscat will be the boat. You need to fish in it to understand, it's just plain out a perfect machine for your money.

Thanks for the comments guys, I did hook into a near 5lb largemouth on a crankbait but didn't get a picture in the downpour...just could not find it on me for some reason lol...the boots were sexy but not mine ill admit...i brought 1 pair of shoes...bad idea :P

It was a blast, a great fishery they have there for sure.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Great opportunity....I've heard that there are some very solid Shimano connections over there at Gagnon's....nice that you were able to benefit. I got to fish out of a couple bass boats for the first time last season....blew me away.

Great report...never mind the walleyes....when is it time for bowfin's and 5lb largies??? :D

Chautauqua Lake is a great lake to fish until about now.......from ice out to about the first of June it's not bad.....but the rest of the summer months it's just CRAZY to be out there......there is less traffic on the NYS Thruway then on Chautauqua Lake....now the weeds are up to the surface and the water skiers and jet bikes are constant during all daylight hours....it's a shame.....I use to own a cottage and hunting property up there......now the way the lake has gone, I don't miss it at all.