Bear in the backyard

lew

I just walked out on the back deck a few minutes ago to find a bear walking across the back yard about 100' from the house. He came from the woods behind my place, walked about 100' along the tree line and then headed back into the woods again as soon as he saw me. He appeared to be about 30" at the shoulder so I'm guessing not fully grown yet.

We've had a lot of bear activity around here the last couple weeks but always through the night.

I'm no bear expert but isn't it kind of unusual to have bears wandering around in the middle of the day so close to homes ??

I'm no bear expert but isn't it kind of unusual to have bears wandering around in the middle of the day so close to homes ??

I would say Yes to that Lew. Do you have bear repellant at the ready just in case??? Does everyone know how to use it? Odds are it will be back so you may want to report it???

I was gonna say ''Right on Lew !!!''w00t.gif You devil !!

But then i read on.

I would definately report it, Once they see that they can walk around without being bothere, they could begin to get closer to the house and maybe even try to get into the house.

Bears certainly aren't unusual around here and I often see signs of them and have had bear poop in the yard several times and so have the neighbors. As mentioned above they've been quite active at night lately and just last week I had one tear down the bird feeder on my front lawn...that has since been removed.

Just never had them active in the middle of the day.

My wife and some of the neighbors go for walks along the road everyday and carry small airhorns just incase. I think one of the ladies also carries a can of bear spray too.

And Brian, maybe I shouldn't be throwing the T-bones over the back fence anymore when I'm through with them ?? :lol:

They like bird feeders. Get a trail cam and set it up and try and figure out a pattern. The MnR may pending there budget come and remove it. I reported a bear when I was living in gravenhurst and the MnR asked if I was a hunter and said to dispatch of it as thats what they will do.

The MnR may pending there budget come and remove it.

The mnr trapped a bear just up the road from me last year and relocated it, but I heard on the TV recentely that they now kill them rather than remove them.

I'm not a hunter myself and would rather not see them being killed, but if they become too much of a nuisance or a danger, I spose they may not have much of a choice...unfortunately.

The mnr trapped a bear just up the road from me last year and relocated it, but I heard on the TV recentely that they now kill them rather than remove them.

I'm not a hunter myself and would rather not see them being killed, but if they become too much of a nuisance or a danger, I spose they may not have much of a choice...unfortunately.

Unfortunate but better to be safe then sorry. Hopefully it's just a one time thing Lew.

Lew, when I lived in French River we often saw them around our house during the day. As soon as they saw us they would move away into the bush. My daughter has often had them in her back yard and never had a problem with them bothering her livestock, dogs, or them. The bears were just looking for an easy meal, bird seed, dog food, that sort of thing.

Many times I encountered them while fishing, do not run, do not charge them, stand your ground and allow them to leave. I would say I have had in excess of 50 bear encounters, been between a mother and her cubs a couple of times, and never had a problem. I'm not suggesting you push it but that is my experience.

IF you keep him fed well he wont want to eat you ...seriously though ....learn to live with them if they dont bring back the spring bear hunt...people have been living with them for ever....if its a going concern then i would suggest investing into a firearm and safety course or relocate back into the city...personally i would embrace them as you embrace a deer...simply appreciate it and take pictures if your lucky enough to encounter them

IF you keep him fed well he wont want to eat you ...seriously though ....learn to live with them if they dont bring back the spring bear hunt...people have been living with them for ever....if its a going concern then i would suggest investing into a firearm and safety course or relocate back into the city...personally i would embrace them as you embrace a deer...simply appreciate it and take pictures if your lucky enough to encounter them

Pretty key Two---I've been a licenced hunter for 36 years-----there were times I was sharing my huntin grounds with wolves---and at times could have drilled a couple---never did---figure they were huntin there before me---U know---I always got mine

it's balance

...personally i would embrace them as you embrace a deer...simply appreciate it and take pictures if your lucky enough to encounter them

My sentiments exactly Twocota !!

I've got deer in the backyard...

Cnv0496.jpg

Cnv0494.jpg

Deer in the front yard...

Cnv0949.jpg

Cnv0950.jpg

Even have horse & buggies going down the road in front of the house...

Cnv0600.jpg

There's Bald Eagles in the area, I see turkeys pretty well everyday and we have Pileated WoodPeckers everywhere.

I've always been an animal lover and if Mr. Bruin wants to hang around my yard, well then there's room for him too. I'll give him all the space he wants and hopefully he'll do the same for me.

They're more interested in eating grubs, berries, and garbage than one of us. Wouldn't worry about them. If you want to keep them away from the house get a bear banger and shoot at it (but not behind it) when it's around. They'll get scared away.

btw - it could have been nosing around for some of that deer feed.

Personally I don't think I would want them associating my house with food. I have been a hunter for a while and I want them as far away from my house as possible. I am not saying you gotta kill them, just take away the food, and chase them away, eventually they will get the idea and not come back. Get some pictures for sure. If you don't have a trail cam you can borrow mine for a bit if you want to get some pics. I am in Toronto so if you come down this way let me know. I need it back in a few months though.