Fishing a small Lake O trib

Gerritt

I have a small trib located very close to me...(Zone 17) heavily over grown, so pulling out my trout rods would be difficult in this location.. I have seen countless rainbows (shallow slow moving creek) I have tried roe bags and tubes.... nothing seems to get them to commit... I have placed them right infront of there faces... and nothing!

Is there something I am missing here? Should I be fishing this creek differently? I am using floating roe bags... and have tried pinkies etc... I am not using a float as it is not practical for this creek...

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

G

X2 Those little red worms are killer! At least the last time I used them they were.

red wigglers aka trout worms can convince the wariest of trout to bite thanks to their much livelier action and smaller size. :thumbsup_anim:

I agree with the above suggestions. I'll also add that you use the smallest hook (12 or 14 egg hook) and use a 4lb florocarbon (or lighter) leader. Use the smallest amount of weight for casting and use 4 or 6 lb mono. If all else fails try trapping some of the natural insects using a piece of nylon screen downstream of some rocks you just flipped over. You might find some strange creatures under those rocks that the trout are feeding on.

muddler

Instead of suggesting to you, I think it would be better if I showed you. You take me to your spot and go from there. :) Personally I would use super light line, but if you would be using a short rod, those brutes would likely break you off? Regardless, I would suggest butter worms, trout worms, or perhaps flys all rigged with small split shots. I imagine they'd be super spooked so you might have to go GI Joe on them. :)

Good luck

Thanks for all the advice guys... this spot is far from secret... but well hidden for the most part... and given that 80% of the town where I live are geriatric... I pretty much have the place to myself... except for the odd person walking a dog etc... I am using a st. croix rods with a stradic at the moment.... but might have to bust out one of my steel heading rods soon.... GI Joe is not a problem with the trout in the picture... if you look carefully.... it is missing an eye..

There are some deep pools that they are to be holed up in... problem is all the overhanging trees and brush.... The hen in the pic was very close to the bank.... as if she was sunning herself... and could care less that I was there..

tomorrow I am taking a walk up river to do some exploring.

G

Yep, post spawn, highly stressed. That's why it didn't spook when you were so close. Not great table fare and to catch and release would likely kill the fish.

If we'd had any decent rain lately that fish would be back in the cool waters of the lake recovering.

Yep, post spawn, highly stressed. That's why it didn't spook when you were so close. Not great table fare and to catch and release would likely kill the fish.

If we'd had any decent rain lately that fish would be back in the cool waters of the lake recovering.

I was thinking of trying the Notty, in the AM. Fly fishing.Bigger stream, then G is looking at. :D

Way bigger!....I could jump across this creek LOL :blahblah1: it has some very deep sections.... buit for the most part is very narrow... hell I can even see it on google earth... my own little slice of heaven... 2 minutes away... :thumbsup_anim:

Ok..here is the secret to catching that fish...Dress full up in caomo and lay down on the bank.....put your right arm in the water and slowly slide your hand under its belly....tickle softly and the fish will fall asleep...lift him up...take your picture and place him back in the water....sneak away from the river bed in stealth mode so as to not wake it up.... ;)

Clip your fingernails if they are long :glare: