May Long Weekend

Just got back from a great extra long weekend on LOTW. What an amazing body of water with the infinite bays and twisting channels, with tons of secluded islands to set up camp on. The weather started out like July but quickly remembered it was May and T storms and rain moved in to mess up the ridiculous laker bite we were on...Alicia could not keep them off a blue deep diver....I only had 1 in that colour and it was the definite preference of the trout.

IMG_18961.JPG

IMG_1923.jpg

Since walleye opened Saturday, we spent the day chasing ol' marble eyes in my favourite way, rigging leeches shallow. Managed to get into a few good fish for photos and a few better fish for the pan. Water temps were in the range of 55-60F depending on where we stopped. Really used the side imaging to good advantage this weekend finding small rockpiles on large sand flats which concentrated the otherwise scattered fish. While graphing the spots I pulled a variety of cranks and hit a few fish, but nothing outperformed the Lindy Rigged leech in 3-12fow.

We were fortunate to sort through some nicer fish securing more to try out some different shorelunch ideas, including walleye tacos.

Here are a few more pics. What a great weekend, with excellent company, excellent fishing and a mixed bag of weather.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

Nice fishing. My dad was in the military and we were posted to Sioux Lookout for a couple of years. We did the Vermilion River a lot, and the walleye fishing there was ridiculous. I really miss that part of the province, especially when I see pictures like these... looks like you had an amazing time!

Good stuff Jay. thumbsup_anim.gif

If it weren't for the wave wackers on the back of your boat I'd have sworn it was mine. ;)

Its a great boat Spiel...yours would look good parked on LOTW!!

Those are White Caps...they saved me a number of soakings this weekend when the weather was poor.