Kayak Walleye

tbayboy

Morning everyone. I haven't done a report in ages it seems but hopefully I'll manage to get a few up this season. Yesterday I got the kayak (ok canoe / kayak hybrid - whatever) out for its first trip of the season.

I headed out to Rice for some walleye fishing and finally got it all working. For some reason I've never had good success on Rice but last week my wife and I managed a couple so I took what I learned from that and applied it yesterday morning. I checked the map and had a couple spots in mind but it turns out that you really didn't need a map. Every spot I was thinking of had a cluster of boats on it - I'm sure there's secret spots on rice but if your new to the lake just look for the other boats - at one time I had 3 rangers around me plus a couple lunds - they didn't outfish me though hehe :).

Anyhow, I was on the water at 7:30 and off at 11:30 with dinner safely in the cooler (can't help but keep some eye's in the spring for the table). Tried out a black and orange bucktail, a perch crank and a pink and white grub on a little thumper jig. For some reason I've NEVER caught a fish on a bucktail jig and today didn't change that - I give up :) The crank only got tossed a couple times when I was in the middle of an opening but the once I was near the weedlines it was the jig and grub using either a slow and steady retrieve along the weedline or hopped along the bottom near/in it that caught everything. Didn't get any incidentals today which was a little odd but nice - it was a walleye only morning.

Anyhow, I didn't have a camera but I had the go pro out so I put together a video of a few of them, hope you enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HqBTY_yS8o&feature=g-upl

Hope to see you all out there, enjoy the rest of this great weekend!

Sean

at one time I had 3 rangers around me plus a couple lunds - they didn't outfish me though hehe :).

Sean

did the same in kenora... i was up there doing a tree planting contract... me and a buddy bought a rubber dingy at canadian tire so we could get off the shoreline... within an hour there were 2 30,000 dollar lunds circling us cause we were getting more walleye then the 2 other boats combined...lol

its not the size of the boat that catches fish... its the angler...

great report

nice video !! i can even c myself on the last 4 min of the vid, i was fishing there yesterday too. hope to c u out there soon ><

Hey Vince - which boat were you? I'll be back soon - just need to earn some more brownie points with my wife :)

The wife and I are looking to buy some Kayaks for when we go camping as our canoe is not getting much use.

Well the native ulitmate is reall more canoe than kayak but I like it that way -easy to stow everything in reach without getting wet.

did the same in kenora... i was up there doing a tree planting contract... me and a buddy bought a rubber dingy at canadian tire so we could get off the shoreline... within an hour there were 2 30,000 dollar lunds circling us cause we were getting more walleye then the 2 other boats combined...lol

its not the size of the boat that catches fish... its the angler...

great report

:good: :good: :good: