What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush

mirogak

Paranoia makes you lose well needed sleep..

Having a 1000# grizz sniffing at the side of your tent at 2:30AM makes you lose a little sleep too!!!!! :w00t:

After 5 years and as many close encounters with grizzlies I went out and bought a camper. :D

Had 4-5 grizzlies in camp at different times last fall. A little tin gives you a "feeling" of security at least. :lol:

One thing I learned from my flying buddies in Alaska.. if you're gonna camp with the Grizzlies... electric fence and piss entirely around your camp perimeter... and sleep with a Glock in your hand!

Black beers... don't lose any sleep over them..

Edited by irishfield

Black bears can be ultra aggressive if your in between momma and cubs, trust me. Other then that, they will not bother you.

When I lived/worked in Ear Falls, I literally drank beers on my deck with bears, almost daily.

Grizzlies and cinnamon grizzlies are another story... Totally unpredictable.

Back to the topic, I'd have some anti-histamines on hand, they can work wonders in various bad situations.

I'd opt for a long lasting version, as per convenience. It's already been mentioned, but its worth a third or fourth reminder.

And have an extra ziplock to gather some pine cones and or dry pine needles/birch bark, nothing starts a fire easier outside of fuel, lol

Edited by manitoubass2

No paddling at all to get to the lake Harold. It's a 12km hike almost entirely uphill to reach the destination lake. No trail per say, but there's definite landmarks for us to follow and with gps and maps we'll be fine.

We're packing in float tubes which weigh less than 10lb's rather than a canoe. Not ideal, but you live with the hand you're dealt.

Regardless of how difficult it is I won't be posting any specifics. The trout fishing is so good in there people would definitely take the plunge. :)

And steep uphill too. You'll need to wear waders crossing the river the water will be damn cold but I suggest repacking them after. Wearing waders all the in(experience talking, makes the hiking uphill way more difficult. For all the little creeks and ponds you cross are only calf deep and you'll dry off pretty quick. I think you'll enjoy the float tubing Mike Its very Zen like

Regarding bears, bear spray, and hanging packs I have a couple of experiences to share.

First off in all the years I've camped in the bush never once have I hung my food pack. Not once.

Never had a problem with bears although squirrels are a different story.

Once when paddling solo on a small trib of the Winisk close to Hudsons Bay I did have 3 polar bears walk into my camp in the middle of the night. Sleeping in my tiny tent the clatter woke me up and I peaked out to see them rummaging through my site.

At that point in my tent I felt like the cream filling inside a donut. This particular tale is a long one and I'll end it here. Suffice it to say that was the only time I've ever felt threatened.

Another time I was deep in the interior of Pukaskwa National Park with my girlfriend. We were lying on a beach along the shore of a remote brookie lake after eating two trout for lunch.

The wind was blowing, the sun was warm, there were no bugs, things were perfect. Things were just getting interesting between us when she suddenly says "I hear something!".

"No you don't, just relax, come here" says I. All I could hear was the wind in the tress and the waves pounding on the beach.

She was SUPER paranoid about bears and apparantly her sense of hearing was hyper magnified LOL! She stood up and calmly said "there's a bear 10' away and looking right at us". "There is not, come on!!" I answer and try to pull her back down to the beach with me.

At that point she kicked me as hard as she could in the ribs. HAHA!

I stood up and sure enough there was a young male bear. He had undoubtedly been attracted by the smell of the two trout carcasses which were on a rock behind us.

When we both stood up he was obviously surprised and didn't know what to do.

At that point I edged slowly to our campfire about 20' to my left, saying "Don't make a move, I'm going to grab my camera!"

"You're crazy!" my girl whispered angrily, and at that point finally found the bear spray she'd been carrying the entire trip.

She started spraying in a blind panic. Completely missed the bear unfortunately but got me pretty good.

I fell to the ground gasping and wheezing, nearly blinded.

She then grabbed a paddle and banged it as hard as she could on our aluminum canoe. Through my tear blurred eyes I saw the bear jump about 10' in the air, turn and run like a scalded cat LOL!

On the negative side we had to leave that lake immediately for another campsite. A HUGE pita, but there was no arguing that point with her. On the plus side there was some serious consoling on her part that night for spraying me in the face. :)

Edited by solopaddler

"No you don't, just relax, come here" says I. All I could hear was the wind in the tress and the waves pounding on the beach.

Sure Solo, it was the "waves" pounding on the beach that distracted you from the bear :whistling:

Haven't read through all the replies, but one thing I must have, and I recommend it for everyone, is Imodium, or the generic tablets known as loperamide hydrochloride. I have irritable bowel syndrome, and it isn't fun. If you do pick up some sort of stomach illness which gives you 'the runs' you could get dehydrated, and that's dangerous.

My old checklist - maybe you can spot an item or two that you have not thought of before.

Checklist for canoe camping

Canoe

Paddles

Lifejackets

Boat Kit

Stove

Lantern

Fuel

Water Jug

Rope

Tent

Camp Saw or Axe

Fishing Gear

Rain Gear

Canteen

Mess Kits

Camp Toaster

Dish Soap

Paper Towels

Towel Soap

Tooth Brush

Toilet Paper

Bug Juice

Sun Screen

First Aid Kit

Matches

Binoculars

Camera

Compass

Snare Wire

Pocket Knife

Maps

Field Guides

Playing Cards

Pencil

Tea Pot

Frying Pan

Change of Clothes

Things NOT to Bring

Hatchet - ask to see my scar! If you think you need something to chop with bring a 3/4 axe instead that you use two hands to operate.

Some Suggestions for Food

Bacon

Eggs

Bread

Pancakes

Syrup

Margarine

Juice

Canned Ham

Canned Salmon

Freeze Dried Hash Browns

Corn Flour (for frying fish)

Bannock

Rice

Cheese

Soup

Tea

Hot Chocolate

Freeze Dried Meat

Oranges

Potatoes

Munchies

I do a 10km portage every year for brookies in the spring. That's 10km round trip on land, fish for about 6 hours and hike out. This is with a canoe and a dayback. Pack as light as you can. Plan your meals and drinks. This will be the heaviest poriton to pack. Once you add a tent, sleeping bag, your looking at a significant amount of weight over the distance you have mentioned. Its doable though we used to do a 20km ruck march with a gun and 50 pound pack.

Once when paddling solo on a small trib of the Winisk close to Hudsons Bay I did have 3 polar bears walk into my camp in the middle of the night. Sleeping in my tiny tent the clatter woke me up and I peaked out to see them rummaging through my site.

At that point in my tent I felt like the cream filling inside a donut. This particular tale is a long one and I'll end it here. Suffice it to say that was the only time I've ever felt threatened.

That would make for some serious pucker factor right there.

Grizz are bad enough but the white bears are to be feared!!! :w00t:

dunno if its been said yet but I remember one of Bunk's trip reports that would make me NEVER go on a backbush trip without BEAR SPRAY !!!!

Not sure if I want a bear close enough to use a spray on it ?

Aha! Now it starts to come out. All that time in the bush you weren't just 'doin' the solo thing'!thumbsup_anim.gif I guess you could have been hit in a more sensitive area than the face!whistling.gif

hahaha ... exactly what I was thinking ... "I never chased girls, they chased me ... " :) ....

Man!, Mike, you'd have the best stories for your children and grandchildren in the days to come.... Good for you. How many of us can say stories like that ...

My old checklist - maybe you can spot an item or two that you have not thought of before.

Canoe

Paddles

Munchies

Thank you NWO ...

Edited by letsgofishing

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in my office with a grin on my face, I can't believe that less than 18 hours ago I was in Algonquin back country.

Just wanted to close this thread - thank you all for your input. While most things that I took came in handy, but some of the most useful things that I would not have thought of but did due to your input were:

- bug net ... My God ... did I need that or what.

- Nalgene

- Water purification tablets ...

- canned fish .... which I brought back :)

- spork :) Thx Brad. I actually found something at MEC which I call a "Sporkife" ... you can imagine why

- zip lock bags

- stringer

Miro

Glad you had a good, safe time!

See any bears?

Nope ... but saw lots of different kinds of droppings all around our site and on the portage to "this" lake. And you know what, after a couple of hours into the camp, we stop being conscious of bears or any danger. We fit right in.

Canoe

Paddles

Lifejackets

Boat Kit

Stove

Lantern

Fuel

Water Jug

Rope

Tent

Camp Saw or Axe

Fishing Gear

Rain Gear

Canteen

Mess Kits

Camp Toaster

Dish Soap

Paper Towels

Towel Soap

Tooth Brush

Toilet Paper

Bug Juice

Sun Screen

First Aid Kit

Matches

Binoculars

Camera

Compass

Snare Wire

Pocket Knife

Maps

Field Guides

Playing Cards

Pencil

Tea Pot

Frying Pan

Change of Clothes

Things NOT to Bring

Hatchet - ask to see my scar! If you think you need something to chop with bring a 3/4 axe instead that you use two hands to operate.

Some Suggestions for Food

Bacon

Eggs

Bread

Pancakes

Syrup

Margarine

Juice

Canned Ham

Canned Salmon

Freeze Dried Hash Browns

Corn Flour (for frying fish)

Bannock

Rice

Cheese

Soup

Tea

Hot Chocolate

Freeze Dried Meat

Oranges

Potatoes

Munchies

note to self...bring my ATV to haul the gear if i ever go camping with you :D:thumbsup_anim:

Sitting in my office with a grin on my face, I can't believe that less than 18 hours ago I was in Algonquin back country.

Just wanted to close this thread - thank you all for your input. While most things that I took came in handy, but some of the most useful things that I would not have thought of but did due to your input were:

- bug net ... My God ... did I need that or what.

- Nalgene

- Water purification tablets ...

- canned fish .... which I brought back :)

- spork :) Thx Brad. I actually found something at MEC which I call a "Sporkife" ... you can imagine why

- zip lock bags

- stringer

Miro

Sporkife OMG Gots to get me one. I eagerly await your report