I would like to ask a question

Big Cliff

On several occasions now I have observed members of a certain ethnic background fishing with apparent lack of respect for regulations and to be honest, just common courtesy.

Examples; keeping everything they catch even when they know they are grossly exceeding the limit.

Moving to within jumping distance of another boat or casting right on top of others if they see them catching fish.

Unfortunately my experiences seem to be directed at one ethnic group but those are my only experiences with this sort of thing in over 60 years of fishing.

Now I know there are members on this board of every ethnic background and plenty of lurkers so here is my question:

Why?

I have always judged a man by his actions, I have friends of every ethnic and religious background but I am finding myself starting to form a predigest. I don't like it but constant exposure to the attitude is wearing me down.

I would truly like to understand the "why" behind all of this. It might help me to be a little more tolerant.

So, if someone can enlighten me it would be truly appreciated. It might also help some others understand why so much resentment is forming towards them!

Now Moderators, before you decide to lock this; I have not mentioned any specific ethnic group, any one that forms a conclusion does so of their own volition. I am not trying to promote any agression toward any particular group but I am trying to promote understanding. (for all)

I ask that you be tollerant in allowing people to express their views in the hope that it will promote better understanding for all. I really think we need it or the agression is going to continue to grow. Understanding on both sides could help save a lot of fishing opportunities for all of us.

Edited by Big Cliff

Old habits die hard I guess.. I think they see it as food and sustenance and nothing else.

There are many ethnic backgrounds that fit this description, at least in my opinion. I've been greased out by all of them, lol!

Everybody has their own moral opinions on how to respect and harvest our natural resources. I'm a little closer to the "tree hugger" side, like it or not, if someone is breaking the law (too many fish, over limit etc.), that's definately wrong

the gov't is cutting everything, so more COs isn't likely going to happen

i too have experienced situations with people of other ethnic backgrounds...

first one... my first salmon i ever hooked... fishing from shore... it was very clear i had a fish on because i was yelling it out loud.... then the "ethnic" fellow beside me casts right over my line... i later found out this is common... they do it in hopes that their hook makes it to the fish so they can argue they caught it and try to keep it...

like bill said... i dont think its as much about sport as it is feeding the family... or at least feeding them for free...

but either way we are lumping these people all in together and thats not really fair to those who set good examples and show proper etiquette...

ive seen plenty of ... shall we say "not so ethnic" anglers out there that deserve a slap in the back of the head as well...

maybe its a MAN OF THE FAMILY thing... the more fish and bigger fish he brings home the more of a man he is...

i dunno....

hope i didnt offend anyone...

I truly believe it is lack of education. Many of these "ethnic" anglers, do not understand english enough to read the regs, or get a licence. The education should come from inside thier community.

If we take the time to show them in a way they can understand, hopefully they will stop this type of fishing practices.

I think what we're seeing is definitely a cultural divide. Depending on where they're from, this is something that may be considered normal and most likely related to putting food on the table no matter how. Of course, things are much different for them now that they're in Canada but I honestly believe this is something that is so ingrained in them that it may take some time to change.

Most of the above would be people fishing from shore as a boat would be financially impossible for them. My attitude towards them would depend on many factors but I *could* see letting it slide if they were filling their buckets with crappies and rock bass and it looked like they were trying to make ends meet. If they were acting like self righteous, entitled pieholes, well I'd be feeling uncharitable and would curse them to high hell (sotto voce...)

But yeah, education will be a slow process and require soft diplomacy.

I truly believe it is lack of education. Many of these "ethnic" anglers, do not understand english enough to read the regs, or get a licence. The education should come from inside thier community.

If we take the time to show them in a way they can understand, hopefully they will stop this type of fishing practices.

in some cases maybe...

but i saw an "ethnic" angler club a 10+ pound walleye... when i asked if he was gunna eat it or mount it...he said "neither... i just want a picture" :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

it's tough, everyone has their own ideals, who's to say what's right or wrong, just as an example, Don'tcryformejan... has a muskie at the dock (likely kept, or looks alot like it was kept) in his avatar, a few people on this board wouldn't think very highly of that (no offence don'tcryfor..)

I know guys who fish bass tourneys and are very offended at anyone keeping bass for table fare, everyone has their own opinion, if nobody is breaking the regs., we really can't say anything

in some cases maybe...

but i saw an "ethnic" angler club a 10+ pound walleye... when i asked if he was gunna eat it or mount it...he said "neither... i just want a picture" :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I also know of an oldtimer (who isn't "ethnic") that used to take a pistol with him and shoot muskies in the head whenever he caught one just because they eat other fish he wants to catch.

Ignorence doesn't discriminate, it's for everyone!

it's tough, everyone has their own ideals, who's to say what's right or wrong, just as an example, Don'tcryformejan... has a muskie at the dock (likely kept, or looks alot like it was kept) in his avatar, a few people on this board wouldn't think very highly of that (no offence don'tcryfor..)

I know guys who fish bass tourneys and are very offended at anyone keeping bass for table fare, everyone has their own opinion, if nobody is breaking the regs., we really can't say anything

I caught it right out in front of the docks, my buddy trolled back while I unhooked it (in a net over the side of the boat, as you can see my net still over the side of the boat and not in it) since the people at the cottages wanted to see it. It was released. People can think whatever they want, doesn't make it true.

I caught it right out in front of the docks, my buddy trolled back while I unhooked it (in a net over the side of the boat, as you can see my net still over the side of the boat and not in it) since the people at the cottages wanted to see it. It was released. People can think whatever they want, doesn't make it true.

that's cool that you caught it and released it, nice fish too, I was just making the point that people have different opinions on fish and wildlife ethics, I'm sure some people noticed your avatar (there's quite a few muskie guys on here) and thought "damn, that fish should have been released", even though you could have legally kept it, and actually did release it

I think the word "ethnic" should be changed to "ethic" ....it happens from every ethnicity but it just so happens we always seem to remain the same as we were before the infraction so its a violation to our ethnicity or a violation of our ethics...

I think the solution here is to take a small break and try to see fishing in an enjoyable way again Cliff...trust me i do understand the frustration and when the day came that i threw another man in the river after several warnings....i knew it was time to take a break because i lost the reason along the line somewhere ....the true reason i love to fish...so now...when/if it happens i bide my time until the offender legitimately catches a fish ....and i return the favour to them...(this is also a great opportunity to test the strength of your leader line...

Try it ...it is actually fun if you know before hand ...that its just going to be "one of those days"

Maybe a wee break to recharge your tolerance levels...and remind yourself why you do it...for the thrill of the "what could be" or the relaxation it gives to relieve the frustrations that may have you wound up a little tight..

Having said that ....if its derby time and your running on 5 hours sleep over the course of the week....then its a no brainer....deliver a strong verbal warning and if that doesnt work well....pay him a visit at the dock then his house then his work then his...... :angel:

Although this thread has the fuel to be confrontational i hope nobdy drops the wrong match to get it flaming out of control

Edited by Twocoda

Its pretty simple really they come from a resource poor country. They come here and the resource seems plentiful so they feel they should take advantage of it to help them economically. These are a people that came here because they wanted a better life for themselves and for their families. Protein was a luxury for them and here its readily available with little effort. Education is the only answer and generational shift. Remember it was your ancestors that wiped out the Atlantic Salmon from over harvest and habitat destruction and its still us whities who are wiping out the brook trout stream by stream here in souhern ontario without even a second thought. So don't be to quick to point your finger.

Cliff take two table spoons of this understanding and call me in the morning , aw the way it was so long ago has so very little space left in our worlds today , trust it will never be better now then it was today for all of us living in it where we do . Your only medication for thease things that bother you will come when the same things will bother the young and innocent many years from now . Seek out new places to be confortable in , let the world go bye so all will be well again and don't forget to take your fishing rod with you .

I know exactly what Cliff is talking about as I witnessed it first hand while staying at Cliff's last June.......I don't think this has anything to do with feeding the family due to economic reasons as the boat I watched take every under size walleye that came over the gunnel was a very expensive bass boat with every high end toy aboard it. And I believe Cliff is referring to boat anglers as he can monitor them VERY easily from his back yard deck which is about 20 feet above the water line.

Poaching is poaching.....we need to stop it no matter who is doing it.

Bob

Might it have to do with economics?

mum works at timmys for 10.75/h and she only gets 4 shifts a week otherwise she would be F/T and eligible for benefits.

Dad moonlights, it the daytime he drives fork lift @ 13.00/hour and at night drives pizza in a 15 year old corrolla hoping I'll make it one more week without that brake job.

3 kids in high school that all want Iphones oh and rent 1200/mo

....on the weekend dad WALKS down to the marina sits on his bucket and figures he CAN afford 1 iphone for the kids to share iif does not spend all that money on groceries.