Carp fishing

Finally wet a line this warm season with my 2 boys. We fished for carp in London and had a blast. We caught dozens in the 5-12 pound range. My youngest son (age 7) and I stayed upriver and caught 5 but lost at least 12 due to poor hookups. We had many hits only to see them steal my bait which was evident by the bare hook when I reeled in.

My oldest boy(17) was more adventurous strolling downstream and catching dozens of carp in the various small pools.

Weather was perfect and the boys were excited. PERFECT day with my boys.

I have a new idea on baiting my hook and am looking forward to trying it out in a few weeks to see if I can get a better hook up percentage.

The only thing I regret is that my oldest said he saw 2 walleye on a stringer and he was going to release them when he was confronted by an "older" guy yelling at him to leave them alone. As they were not in season in the area they never should have been on the stringer. Unfortunately he did not say anything to me until we were half an hour away heading home. I would have gladly released the fish!

What a great day you had. Too bad about the walleye. I had the same experience where I was fishing carp. This boat came along. They were obviously fishing for bass as they covered the shore throwing spinnerbaits. As they motored over my line one idiot looked at me and said " Carp" in an all knowing kind of way. I replied "Yup" and then said " I would probably be fishing for bass but the season doesn't open for another six or seven weeks." A few seconds later the idiot replied " Ya right " . They then sped off to go poach some where else.

HPIM1311 (2) (600x446) (400x297).jpg

HPIM1311 (400x271).jpg

Anybody know these two?

What a great day you had. Too bad about the walleye. I had the same experience where I was fishing carp. This boat came along. They were obviously fishing for bass as they covered the shore throwing spinnerbaits. As they motored over my line one idiot looked at me and said " Carp" in an all knowing kind of way. I replied "Yup" and then said " I would probably be fishing for bass but the season doesn't open for another six or seven weeks." A few seconds later the idiot replied " Ya right " . They then sped off to go poach some where else.

HPIM1311 (400x271).jpg

Anybody know these two?

Just hope they aren't on this board.

HPIM1311 (400x271).jpg

Anybody know these two?

So get this.. given that pike season opened on the great lakes this past wknd, we were fishing pike this wknd in hammy harbour and this idiot carp fishing on shore accuses us of bass fishing.

So get this.. given that pike season opened on the great lakes this past wknd, we were fishing pike this wknd in hammy harbour and this idiot carp fishing on shore accuses us of bass fishing.

Ohhhhhh!,spinner baits ,awesome for pike,again people are far to quick to judge again.:good:.Think before you type !,everyone. Just sayin.

Im trying to figure out where I can fish carp around here. I know theres some in the Barrie marina,but it,s a P3TA dealing with the robcops. :wallbash:

May need to make plans to visit my ole friend Beans.

Sounds like a GREAT family outing!

Brian, robocops stopped me a few times down there looking for carp a couple years ago. I was not sure if the marina actually had them or not; I fished with corn and apparently rock bass have a natural aggressive tendancy towards bits of corn.

Im trying to figure out where I can fish carp around here. I know theres some in the Barrie marina,but it,s a P3TA dealing with the robcops. :wallbash:

May need to make plans to visit my ole friend Beans.

Brian...There are tons of carp in Simcoe but like the pickerel...Where are they ???

A couple of guys harvest them for some restaurants in New York city...they catch them by nets in Cookes Bay

I'd love to have you out for carp...it is still a bit early but we are getting the odd one (or two, like yesterday)...I have two complete outfits...bait running reels, long carp rods bank stix and two alarms...Had Meely and his girl out last year with me and my missus...his girlfriend landed a twenty pounder like a pro but she had been practising on three shoal carp (musky) over the weekend before...Maribeth knew what happened to CPH's wife (bad bruise) so Meely gave me the rod to land the second one...We then had two hook pull-outs then left to do a bit of sight seeing...If the action is slow it can get quite boring but one big boy/girl makes up for it...

Edited by Beans

Fishing for pike in less that 3 ft of water with a rocky bottom . Huggiing the shore . Ya sure. Those guys

were targeting OOS smallies. Plain as the nose on your face.

Fishing for pike in less that 3 ft of water with a rocky bottom . Huggiing the shore . Ya sure. Those guys

Actually a lot of fish are mixed together right now due to some common attractants....

Good food....warm water...spawning habitat...

I have a spot right now where the next hit I get could be a smallie...largie...walleye...pike...with pretty equal odds...As well as a few other species ive caught there...

Well that's here anyways...

Guess you don't pike fish much... Them rocks get warmed by the sun and well Pike like to suntan in the spring! If you can't fish for pike with a spinner bait.. what should we use to appease?

Come on. I could imagine the conversation when these guys set out" I'll show you a spot where I've some monster smallies fishing for pike." When they left they headed across the bay to fish off of Eastport Dr. That is pike habitat. Big weed beds with drop offs into deep water.

Guess you don't pike fish much... Them rocks get warmed by the sun and well Pike like to suntan in the spring! If you can't fish for pike with a spinner bait.. what should we use to appease?

I have fished for pike before. I can tell you the area they were fishing is loaded with pre spawn small mouth. I know guys that that target pike in the harbour and they weren't fishing that kind of water on the weekend.

Edited by hammercarp

If they were fishing pike why did they leave after I confronted them? I didn't say anything more. They could have just kept doing what they were doing or even corrected my mistake. They knew I had one picture of them and knew I would take more if they pulled in more bass.

They knew I had one picture of them and knew I would take more if they pulled in more bass.

So which is it

They were obviously fishing for bass as they covered the shore throwing spinnerbaits

Obviously fishing for.. or actually catching them.. the story has now changed! :wallbash: