Rustproofing / Undercoating

Carp

I just purchased a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (diesel).

Plan on keeping it for as long as I can, so I want rustproofing done on the body.

Looking for some input and/or recommendations.

I'm in Mississauga, ON.

Thanks !

Has it been rustproofed already?

If it has and you can find out which company did it it is best to go to them and have it checked out and touched up. If it hasn't because it is used the only way to go is with oil spraying. All of the other types require a clean new vehicle in order for the under coating to adhere properly.

It doesn't look like any rustproofing had been done on the vehicle. It was a lease (CIBC), so I guess no reason for them to rustproof it if it was being returned to the dealer.

I was leaning toward oil spray, so it looks as if I was on the right track.

Thanks for all the replies.

Fluid Film .... Nothing like it .... Krown doesn't compare .

Fluid Film is awesome if you can see where you're applying it but I think Krown has better 'creeping' abilities. Just an opinion but I find FF to stay where you spray and Krown gets sucked into seems; like PB Blaster.

I'd go with a Krown or some sort of oil spray before a coating. I did a Zbart coating years ago on a brand new Chev truck, and some of it fell off and some places had bubbled which created a pocket for moisture. That truck rusted out.

I did rust proofing for a few years up in Peterborough. I would say if you don't have access to a hoist don't try it yourself. I am not sure but I think krown does it as well, we drilled very small holes in the door by the latches and spray in side there to as it is usually the first spot.

Edited by Live2fish85

I share BB's thoughts on this issue. New vehicles come with longer and longer corrosion warranties because they are doing a better job of building and painting. Do you see alot of rusty cars on the road these days? all kinds of 10 year old cars driving around without any rust on them (I hear it now - maybe they all got sprayed).

I feel i used to be able to age a vehicle by its appearance - but im surprised again and again by the condition of say 6-7 year old vehicles.

My toyota is 5 years old (the longest i've ever owned a vehicle) and has no rust anywhere. It has barely rusted underneath..

IMO the era of rusted out heaps is past. To be fair i dont keep vehicles long but the last 3 I bought the dealers have reccomended the same thing - nothing.

If it buys you some peace of mind, and if it is increasing resale values, great. Of course, you can't really say the oil spraying protected your 10 yr old vehicle unless you have an untreated one right beside it...

Local MOE was in a rustproofing place at the same time we were for inspections, and said he wasn't worried about run off from the building as the product was basically animal/vegetable oils..not sure about that one.

There may be other ways to spend your hard earned dough making your vehicle perform/last longer..enjoy the new to you ride either way!

HUH, no one here gets their vehicle rust proofed anymore....at one time Ziebart was very popular but with the way the manufactures build them now all the Ziebart dealers went belly up.

the type of rust proofing that ziebart installs is the worst choice you could make as any tiny hole easily turns into a bubble which in turn holds moisture rather than repelling it. oil spraying is far superior which is why most people now go with that. krown works very well.

electronic rust inhibitors only seem like a good idea when you're talking to someone that sells them. i've seen a few tests done on tv and the internet that showed near zero difference between "protected" and unprotected.

ERC have been on the market for more than 60 years , at one time they were banned because of fire ( they were electric at the time ), my sister still has my Dads 1961 Thunderbird that has an original ERC unit the car is still rust free and will be forever .

I'm a strong believer in ERC ... My 76 F150 had one , I bought it in 1996 totally rust free, never oiled ... I removed the unit to add a second battery , never put it back on... My truck rusted out in 2001.... My 2007 Mazda 6 has one , it's also rust free ... My 2000 Expedition on the other hand has been Krowned ... There is no rust on the underside or door bottoms .... But there's rust on other parts of the body.... Undercoating does not protect the whole vehicle , just the treated areas , while the ERC protects the whole thing , from the wiper arms to your trailer ball .

Randy

:)

Some great info. Thanks for all your replies.

Stopped in to talk to the guys at Krown in Streetsville. (closest to home)

Watched one vehicle being treated and after a short conversation with the owner,

my truck was next to go on the hoist.

Told my wife I got the truck sprayed. Got home and parked on the street so I don't get any dripping oil on my asphalt driveway.

Wife went to pick up daughter and parked in driveway when she returned. DOH !!! :wallbash:

Other than the oil stains on the driveway (our fault), I'm happy with the Krown treatment.