Warning! OOS Muskie picture!

Today I had the pleasure of volunteering to help two dedicated OMNR biologists check the trap nets set near Georgian Bay. The purpose of which was to collect eggs and milt from two ripe Muskies so the fertized eggs could be taken to the fish hatchery at Flemming College in Lindsay, and eventually the resulting fingerlings will be released into Lake Simcoe in the fall. We checked several trap nets, counted and released many nice Bass(some near 6 lbs.), a few Pike, a monster Crappie, Carp, lots of Bluegills and Bullheads, and many Northern Map Turtles, two of which were dinner plate sized! After checking 4 nets and finding no Muskies we lucked out and the 5th net had two males and a BIG female. We were able to collect the first 'family' of 2012 for the Lake Simcoe Muskellunge Restoration Project. Here's Ian Young (MCI President) and I as we released the 52", 37 lb. female!

resize_Ian_and_Dax.jpg

I used to get paid to do it. Then they realised you guys would do it for free and that was that.

I'm pretty sure Emily and Brent were paid for their efforts today...Alot of fishery work in Ontario just wouldn't get done if not for volunteers...

Very cool. I am assuming you were volunteering as representative of Muskies Canada. If so, that is a great example of how your organization works with the MNR and can help out. Super cool. I hope the Lake Simcoe Musky project is a success. I don't fish Musky but it would still be nice to see.

Cheers.

Good stuff Dax. I took out most of the irrelevant stuff as it was just making a good thread bad. To the others who have a problem with how this board is run, PM or email one of the mods. Putting it on here is just tacky and serves no purpose. Thanks for understanding.

Good stuff Dax. I took out most of the irrelevant stuff as it was just making a good thread bad. To the others who have a problem with how this board is run, PM or email one of the mods. Putting it on here is just tacky and serves no purpose. Thanks for understanding.

:worthy: Ah no, thanks to you for clearing the rubbish away.

Nice to see you contributing to the worthy cause Dax. I have a lot of belief and faith in the LSMRP. This is one of the few things I miss cancelling my membership to MCI. Will this put you into the 50 inch club now? :angel:

Cheers, Ron...

Great work , Im still not sure the money is well spent in this project , without habitant rehab ??? , but I am so happy to see you guys are useing some great genes , hope the babies of this mother can go on to grow to the same sizes or even bigger in simcoe ... Keep up the good work , its guys like you giveing up their time so guys like me can enjoy ...

OH and solo I dont know about tieing them up for steel, but spread on a cracker with some warm brie and a Snifter of some good Cognac yum yum .. lol

Edited by capt bruce

Sweet fish.

I think the muskie will be fine in Lake Simcoe.

The only issue may be with competition from pike on the spawning areas, but they co-exist with pike on many other lakes.

I'd love to see some hugo skis start coming out of Simcoe.