Tried some basa yesterday

I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole...

Unfortunately I don't think there are many fish out there that aren't polluted anymore. Heck, just the other day Tepco admitted they are still dumping 1000 tonnes of highly radioactive water straight into the pacific ocean daily and this has been ongoing for over a year now... :( How about some nice Pacific Salmon or Halibut... No thanks...

One thing I would be curious is to see all this fish in the grocery store get tested just like our sport fish do for safe eating reccomendations... Oh wait the results would probably be shocking...

I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole...

Unfortunately I don't think there are many fish out there that aren't polluted anymore. Heck, just the other day Tepco admitted they are still dumping 1000 tonnes of highly radioactive water straight into the pacific ocean daily and this has been ongoing for over a year now... :( How about some nice Pacific Salmon or Halibut... No thanks...

One thing I would be curious is to see all this fish in the grocery store get tested just like our sport fish do for safe eating reccomendations... Oh wait the results would probably be shocking...

Red meat is bad for you....much worse then any fish you might eat out of Canadian waters....so what's it going to be today....steak, burgers, or how about a nice thick pork chop... :whistling:

Look up "How Fish Sauce is Made"..... disgusting...

It's the way they process that also can be a problem. What's that saying,(what you don't know won't hurt ya).If you members didn't give feedback I think I would of run with it.:wallbash:.Thanks.

Edited by davey buoy

I seen it done on the Discovery Channel about a year ago.....

They took ANY kind of fish they could get....if big they would cut it up in smaller pieces.....throw it in a HUGE round concrete vat and cover it for 1 year in the sun....then after one year they would open up a spic-it at the bottom of the vat and let the nasty stuff run through a filter and into a bottle....and there's you fish sauce... :wallbash:

I seen it done on the Discovery Channel about a year ago.....

They took ANY kind of fish they could get....if big they would cut it up in smaller pieces.....throw it in a HUGE round concrete vat and cover it for 1 year in the sun....then after one year they would open up a spic-it at the bottom of the vat and let the nasty stuff run through a filter and into a bottle....and there's you fish sauce... :wallbash:

and then they call it fermentation... lol

Totally friggin gross.

I had a friend give me some homemade fish sauce once, he said he used anchovies/salt and thats it. It was good in very small amounts, had a nutty flavor to it.

I'll never buy anything off the shelf now however...

If you think it gross you may want to stay away from Worcestershire sauce as well. ;)

Controlled fermentation in sanitized conditions is fine by me. I use Lea & Perrins, and it's legit (according to How its Made) lol.

Edited by manitoubass2

Saw some breaded talipa at the market today,checked the box and couldn't find any information but nutritional specs. This basa thing has me scared of all that type of fish now. Think I'll stay with the wild haddock and pollok and such for now.:worthy:

Saw some breaded talipa at the market today,checked the box and couldn't find any information but nutritional specs. This basa thing has me scared of all that type of fish now. Think I'll stay with the wild haddock and pollok and such for now.:worthy:

If you want good fish, go see Johnnys Fish market on Bryne Dr. Just a couple doors over from the Holiday Express.

Thats what I have been telling him Erich. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

LOL,Brian I will check out Johnny's soon. One of my sons works at No Frills so I either take him or pick him up every other day or so.Usually do a little shopping,and check out the inventory.:(

Hahaha, ya, go south on Bryne Dr, same side as the big water tower at the Ford dealer on Mapleview. After watching some of those shows mentioned earlier, either I catch it from reasonably clean water or I go to Johnnys.

Hahaha, ya, go south on Bryne Dr, same side as the big water tower at the Ford dealer on Mapleview. After watching some of those shows mentioned earlier, either I catch it from reasonably clean water or I go to Johnnys.

:good: