Seafoam users

Jer_H

Hi all,

Just curious how many people regularily use a fuel additive. Is it more of a precautionary measure, or do you consider it necessary? Is it just for older, or 2-strokes?

This will be my 3rd season with my boat and I have never added anything to the fuel aside from adding stabilizer when it's winterized. It's a 2010 4-stroke Merc.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Itis my understanding that 4 strokes need to burn premium gas because premium does not contain ethanol and ethanol is said to be bad for 4 strokes. Marinas that don't sell premium recommend Seafoam be used with regular gas. I am guessing it is supposed to counteract the ethanol?

I used a can at the end of last season because the plugs in my 100hp 1978 Merc had gotten pretty bad and caused the cylinders and pistons to get pretty carboned up. Seemed to clean em out pretty well, I'll probably put another can through when I get it on the water this season.

I used a can at the end of last season because the plugs in my 100hp 1978 Merc had gotten pretty bad and caused the cylinders and pistons to get pretty carboned up. Seemed to clean em out pretty well, I'll probably put another can through when I get it on the water this season.

how did you know the cylinders and pistons were carboned-up? did you take the engine apart?

I used it in my 4 stroke Honda and all my small engines. I treat my gas as soon as I put it in the jerry can. It stabilizes the fuel, controls moisture, and cleans at the same time! It completely turned my engine around last year.

I've heard the the ethanol in gas ages quickly and will gum up engines (especially smaller engines). My engine is only a 7.5 hp so I don't go through a lot of gas and always use high octane. Make sure you check the ethanol content as some companies put ethanol in their high octane gas as well.

It's good stuff. For a 4 stroke, run it at the beginning of the year to clean out the fuel system and engine. I wouldn't use it as a stabilizer, there's been tons of discussion on that in iboats. Use Stabil or the like at the end of the year. Ethanol isn't as bad as it's made out to be, it does act as a solvent and actually cleans out the fuel system in engines, the problem being with older boats and engines built pre 1999 or so is that the fuel lines are not ethanol resistant and it eats the fuel lines. All the new lines are ethanol resistant so with older motors, you may need to replace your lines.

It's good stuff. For a 4 stroke, run it at the beginning of the year to clean out the fuel system and engine. I wouldn't use it as a stabilizer, there's been tons of discussion on that in iboats. Use Stabil or the like at the end of the year. Ethanol isn't as bad as it's made out to be, it does act as a solvent and actually cleans out the fuel system in engines, the problem being with older boats and engines built pre 1999 or so is that the fuel lines are not ethanol resistant and it eats the fuel lines. All the new lines are ethanol resistant so with older motors, you may need to replace your lines.

Ethanol has many, many more bad qualities than good when it comes to boats and water. It will pull humidity out of the air, and into your gas tank. Many, many problems with boat engines are due to ethanol fuels, and water in the gas. It also leads to phase separation in 2 strokes gas/oil mix.

Seafoam is a great stabilizer. What have you read to think otherwise?? Just curious. I've been using it for about 5 years now. I give my engine a good dose of it in the fall, then add about an ounce per gallon all season long as preventative maintenance. I swear by it. I've seen it fix all sorts of fuel related problems.

It cleans everything from the gas tank, right thru to the exaust.

S.

The only thing I can say is that on advice from a friend I treated my snowblower with it. It idled very rough (had a surge, then slow down, then surge). its had the problem for years, but it was getting worse.

After treating once, that surge went away. I think I will keep a can around.