R.I.P local bass and crappie hole

mikeseb

Well, another one of the very few places in oakville i like to spend my days at is now gone. After the dirtbike track and trails have been dug up I figured the development of this town hit me where it hurt the most. WRONG. A little pond on the south east corner of 6th line and dundas, which boasted great numbers of LMB and crappies, is going to be drained and filled in for a school to be built. Some of my most exciting fishing memories are from this pond including numerous double headers and even a handful of triples. In its prime the pond would reward me with a fish every other cast every evening and morning. But after the construction began near the pond last spring, last summers fishing had been terrible with only 3 fish caught in 5 trips down there. The pond was never a spot where you would expect to catch a trophy but fish after fish in the 1-1.5# range all day was always enough for me. Its a shame the pond is gone it was so close to home. O well i guess i gotta focus more on the smallies in the tribs now.

Well, another one of the very few places in oakville i like to spend my days at is now gone. After the dirtbike track and trails have been dug up I figured the development of this town hit me where it hurt the most. WRONG. A little pond on the south east corner of 6th line and dundas, which boasted great numbers of LMB and crappies, is going to be drained and filled in for a school to be built. Some of my most exciting fishing memories are from this pond including numerous double headers and even a handful of triples. In its prime the pond would reward me with a fish every other cast every evening and morning. But after the construction began near the pond last spring, last summers fishing had been terrible with only 3 fish caught in 5 trips down there. The pond was never a spot where you would expect to catch a trophy but fish after fish in the 1-1.5# range all day was always enough for me. Its a shame the pond is gone it was so close to home. O well i guess i gotta focus more on the smallies in the tribs now.

That was a decent spot. there were more at one time and there is still a couple today wow im getting freaking old

I may or may not have met some of your daughters at Sharkey's. hah j/k. I do miss that joint.

I was thinking the same thing....not kidding hahahahahahaha

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Thats a shame, but its a sign of the times. I had 100's of acres of wilderness 10 minute walk from home.All gone to dang condos.wallbash.gif And the neighbors wonder why there are raccoons and other wildlife invadeing thier yardsmellow.gif

So THAT was one of the honey holes you somewhat referred too!

Too bad I never got to fish it :( Especially because I live about 10 minutes from there. In my 23 years alive (all of which being in Oakville), even I have seen ridiculous changes for the worse. Basically everything north of uppermiddle was not there when I was a youngin' :P

Too bad though, what a shame

i never fished it but i've thought about it every one of the thousands of times ive driven past it. i wasnt born in oakville but i lived there from 88 until three or four years ago when we moved to burlington. have they opened lions valley park yet?

... also, grew up in bronte, can barely recognize it these days.

Edited by Dunner

I remember that pond and that was a while back since I've been there. They did the same up the street where I grew up, two ponds gone for development . One in which was in a forest . I drive by there everyday and recall all the fishing and fun times.

Interesting timing. My son and I drove by this week and noticed the water was down about 10 feet from it's usual level and there seemed to be some sort of a makeshift dam built about half way down. We have been meaning to walk down to have a closer look but just haven't got around to it yet. It was great to be able to drive a couple of blocks with my son and a friend or two and watch them catch bass after bass. We too have had our fair share of double headers over the past years and we too will miss it.

This is not a honey hole. I live accross the street and I can tell you the origins of both types fo fish on the ponds. There are also perch and some smallmouth up to 5 pounds (not many) the reason no one else fishes there anymore (I used to) is because according to the town of Oakville by law the pond is off limits to fishing and has been for 2 years, as is all other recreational ponds located within residential areas in the town of Oakville.

Smed

What are the origins of the fish in There? 5lb pond smallies? You sure? Lol

hahaha yea id like to hear what u have to say. 5 pound smallies! no way man absolutely no way. I have also never seen a perch or smallie in there and ive spent well over 80 hours fishing that pond in the last 4 years. As for fishing there being illegal, its less than 200 yards away from a state of the art police station im sure if we were breaking the law someone would walk over and tell us to leave. Either way im gonna miss that place a lot.

Theres a pic of an average sized bass from the pond, ive never seen one much bigger than that but they were a blast on light action or 6wt fly rods and when you usually catch over 20 of em in 2 hours

IMG00065-20111126-1627.jpg

ive often wondered,what do they do with the fish when they drain these ponds? ive had a few favourite local spots drained over the years and houses and condos put on top,but i never hear what happens or how its done.

i just hate how rapid these cookie cutter condos and homes are springing up.