R.I.P local bass and crappie hole

mikeseb

What are the origins of the fish in There? 5lb pond smallies? You sure? Lol

He is Sure and I can second it.

I know alot of people that can second it I dont know about the last few years but there was a time .If you really want to see some truly freakish size bass Crawford Lake.......just saying

Edited by BITEME.Esq

• 3 months later...

Interesting timing. My son and I drove by this week and noticed the water was down about 10 feet from it's usual level and there seemed to be some sort of a makeshift dam built about half way down. We have been meaning to walk down to have a closer look but just haven't got around to it yet. It was great to be able to drive a couple of blocks with my son and a friend or two and watch them catch bass after bass. We too have had our fair share of double headers over the past years and we too will miss it.

Had a look at The Hayes Pond today - Just a very shallow puddle now as it looks like a water source

in an African Desert with a bit of water and cracked dirt/soil around it & with the hot weather recently in a

week or so there will be probably no water left.......

Well, another one of the very few places in oakville i like to spend my days at is now gone. After the dirtbike track and trails have been dug up I figured the development of this town hit me where it hurt the most. WRONG. A little pond on the south east corner of 6th line and dundas, which boasted great numbers of LMB and crappies, is going to be drained and filled in for a school to be built. Some of my most exciting fishing memories are from this pond including numerous double headers and even a handful of triples. In its prime the pond would reward me with a fish every other cast every evening and morning. But after the construction began near the pond last spring, last summers fishing had been terrible with only 3 fish caught in 5 trips down there. The pond was never a spot where you would expect to catch a trophy but fish after fish in the 1-1.5# range all day was always enough for me. Its a shame the pond is gone it was so close to home. O well i guess i gotta focus more on the smallies in the tribs now.

Thanks for the post you’ve brought back many good memories

I just checked out the area around the 6th line and Dundas (#5 hwy) on Google maps to see the pond mentioned. Has it ever changed since I was there last. I remember a cattle farm next to the pond and something in the news about some cows drowning when the ice broke. Who knew it would become a good fishing hole.

But does anyone remember it as the Riverside????

Are we talking about the Riverside that had the Boathouse Bar, disco and patio on the 16 mile creek? If so I spent lots of time there in the mid 70’s. Not to mention working at the live theatre (Oakville Centre For The performing Arts) on the other side of the creek.