Protecting trailer paint

lew

I live on a dirt road and even with mud flaps on my truck I still manage to get the odd stone chip on my boat trailer.

I was thinking of maybe spraying some type of clear coat on the vulnerable trailer surfaces but not sure if it'd work or not.

Anybody know of a product that may give some protection ??

I know about the shields that can be mounted in front of the rig but I'm not interested in those.

Lew, I think your best bet would be to get yourself some protective film. Apply it to the vulnerable areas. 3M makes some lines of it but several companies make or distribute the stuff. Google "painted trailer protection", the second and third results look interesting.

What about spray on gravel guard? It's the stuff that is often found on the rocker panels of cars etc. that has the orange peel type texture. It's basically a rubberized type spray on coating that is available in either black or clear. The clear would be an option if you dodn't want to have to paint over it. You can pick it up at Can. Tire, or any NAPA type store.

Lew, you could add diamond plate to your fenders and axel housing, or as was mentioned the spray on bed liner. My trailer is black so I wire brush and spray paint the axel housing every year. You really can't see it too well with the boat loaded so my primary concern is to stop rust from getting a foothold. My fenders are a hard plastic and haven't chipped....yet.

I'd go with the 3M film - it's tough stuff and easy to apply as long as the surface it's going onto is clean.

the 3m film is great but it has to be put on something just painted with no chips and rust. a friend of mine put it on the leading edges of his trailer and it still chipped a bit, i guess on dirt roads it's hard to avoid it. the rinocoat, i think is the best because the rocks just bounce off.

Lew's trailer is almost new. The bedliner, POR15 or whatever is probably the best protection for a trailer for which looks don't matter. It'd be a shame to hide a nice looking trailer under some kind of a truck undercoat. It'll depend on what he wants to achieve.

Lew's trailer is almost new. The bedliner, POR15 or whatever is probably the best protection for a trailer for which looks don't matter. It'd be a shame to hide a nice looking trailer under some kind of a truck undercoat. It'll depend on what he wants to achieve.

well i guess that's the other side of the coin...look pretty or rust free

OK thanks guys, some really good suggetions there.

I looked into that clear plastic covering last year and was told by a local dealer that it would cost me about $300 for a bit to do my trailer.

Time to make some phone calls.

There is also an attachment that you can put on your trailer hitch itself. It is made of a bristle similar to that of a broom. I tried looking it up on the internet but no success. A buddy of mine has it on his truck to haul his Bass boat around. I am very impress on well it protects his boat. It stops the stones from becoming a problem in the first place. This goes on the hitch so if you are not towing, it will come off the same time you take the hitch out. My buddy leaves his on all year round, towing or not towing. I will get the name of it.

Cheers, Ron...

There is also an attachment that you can put on your trailer hitch itself. It is made of a bristle similar to that of a broom. I tried looking it up on the internet but no success. A buddy of mine has it on his truck to haul his Bass boat around. I am very impress on well it protects his boat. It stops the stones from becoming a problem in the first place. This goes on the hitch so if you are not towing, it will come off the same time you take the hitch out. My buddy leaves his on all year round, towing or not towing. I will get the name of it.

Cheers, Ron...

Towtector? http://www.towtector.com/

i dont think the rhino lining looks that bad...

after all... it would just be the main frame of the trailer... not the fenders

and id would last a loooooong time.... probably expensive tho.... but if i had the money thats what id do...

but my trailer is galvanized... :thumbsup_anim: so im good to go...

http://texastruxx.com/gi-58468-boat-trailer.html

but my trailer is galvanized... :thumbsup_anim: so im good to go...

Mine too, it ain't pretty per say but after years of painted trailers I opted to spend a little extra for it, no complaints as yet (6 years old).

I know this is of little value to you now Lew but I had nothing else to offer. ;)

You can buy the 3M Scotchgard film on a roll and apply it yourself. Here's one source Bulk 3M Film

$8.75/ft on a roll that's 18" wide. There's also a 24" roll.

This product looks like what I'm after and the price seems pretty good too, specially compared to what I was quoted last year for something similar.

I also like the Towtector and it's something I've considered.

Thanks again everyone.

I like the idea of the Towtector, but I doubt that mesh is going to stop a giant rock shot out from the rear tires.. I am going to make up something similar for the oldmans truck but will be using thick rubber instead..