Protecting trailer paint

lew

I like the idea of the Towtector, but I doubt that mesh is going to stop a giant rock shot out from the rear tires.. I am going to make up something similar for the oldmans truck but will be using thick rubber instead..

i just got a homemade one with my boat that was built very well and works great. ill post some pics tomorrow.

Have you looked into Line-X? Its crazy tough stuff. There is a shop in PTBO that could spray it on the areas you want for a decent price. They do a real neat job of it too. We have all our work truck beds sprayed with it, and its near bullet proof. The township salt trucks use it in the beds of the salt/sand trucks, so you know its gotta be tough stuff! You can get any colour you want too.

P.S..it won't be cheap, but it WILL last!

S.

We paid $800 for a full box and top rails of a 1/2 ton pick up last week, so I don't think the trailer would be that much. He would only need to do the front half as well, no?

It is good stuff though, you wouldn't have to worry about stone chips ever again, that is for sure!

S.

Line-X is good stuff and I also have it in the bed of my truck.

I've seen full trailers done with it and it actually doesn't look too bad but I'm not sure if I'd want it myself but thanks for the suggestion.

I live on a dirt road and even with mud flaps on my truck I still manage to get the odd stone chip on my boat trailer.

I was thinking of maybe spraying some type of clear coat on the vulnerable trailer surfaces but not sure if it'd work or not.

Anybody know of a product that may give some protection ??

I know about the shields that can be mounted in front of the rig but I'm not interested in those.

Forget any spray clear coat or the 3M clear adhesive film gravel will just blow it off like a sand blaster. The only thing I have seen that will withstand a good gravel road is truck bedliner (the liquid stuff). You can take your trailer into a place that does the spray on bedliners or do it yourself with the kit below.

I know a thing or two about driving on dirt roads. ;)

You can also get tinted/colour matched bedliner.

Truck Bedliner

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I don't think any type of film is going to hold up to rock chips myself. You'll just end up having to take it off to repair the rust that will start underneath it. It may take a few years, but it will happen.

If your that worried about it, the Line X, or the tow tector idea is the best.

S.

• 5 weeks later...

The bed liner coating would probably be the most durable, just not sure how it would come out with the DIY kit, I think it's applied by roller.

We use alot of marine/industrial paints where I work so my buddy just paints up our boat trailer with that.

Just installed "Rock Tamers" from Cabela's. Nice product and currently on sale for $159

Thanks for the heads-up Brian and on your recommendation I just ordered a set of the Rock Tamers from Cabelas. Their on back order but should be here in a couple weeks.