Shop until you drop

Billy Bob

TRUE......but now you will no longer pay the 4% sales tax on your footwear and clothing here..... :thumbsup_anim:

Unless you are pedalling your :asshat: to get there, it still takes gas which is a lot more than the cheesy 4%. $4 on $100, waste of time, gas, wear and tear on nerves.

Thanks Bob, I pretty much always buy my clothes south of the border. Much better selection, sizes that actually fit and generally 50-60% of the price of the same stuff here.

I am a big buy in Canada supporter, but, there is a limit....

I believe the Federales budget increased the $ amounts you can purchase in the US without paying duty...

True story

I find it interesting that the US economy suffers along with ours and both our govenments are focused on fixing the US economy and no one is fucused on Canada. How can allowing Canadians to spend more money in a foreign country tax free help the Canadian economy in any way?

True story

I find it interesting that the US economy suffers along with ours and both our govenments are focused on fixing the US economy and no one is fucused on Canada.  How can allowing Canadians to spend more money in a foreign country tax free help the Canadian economy in any way?

^ This. Can only hurt border towns even more.

True story

I find it interesting that the US economy suffers along with ours and both our govenments are focused on fixing the US economy and no one is fucused on Canada. How can allowing Canadians to spend more money in a foreign country tax free help the Canadian economy in any way?

It doesn't

I believe the Federales budget increased the $ amounts you can purchase in the US without paying duty...

Beans, You got that correct as you must of read the article I posted....where many just pissed and moaned instead of taking the time to READ....

I agree it doesn't make sense for many who have to travel a long ways to get over the boarder...however, if you you're making a trip anyways....well then it does make sense....And "Fisherman".....you can also buy LESS expensive gasoline here on the same trip....that's like double dipping partner...LOL... :)

Back in the 70's I use to buy less expensive gasoline in Fort Erie...sometimes even see the Canadian Ballet while I was there, as I really enjoy the fine arts that Fort Erie had to offer... :P

..where many just pissed and moaned instead of taking the time to READ....

"Fisherman".....you can also buy LESS expensive gasoline here on the same trip....that's like double dipping partner...LOL... :)

Yes, I understood that in our last budget we now have a higher tax free limit. Let me rattle your head a bit. I have to drive about 150 Miles one way, 300 round trip, plus a bit around town add about another 30 miles or so. 330 miles or about 11 Imp gallons, maybe 14 or so US, about $65. That's to get me there and back, no food, no lodging for the two days (48 hours) I have to stay across the border to get the benefit, add a couple hundred for food and lodging. So I spend about $260 at a minimum just for the trip, I haven't bought anything yet. Are you beginning to see..I'll keep the $260 and spend it here and support MY country.

Reading all this, I have no idea how spending money in the states, tax free, is helping our economy. The cynical would say this is a covert way to keep wages low, if our dollar can be stretched then we don't need proper, fare wages. Kinda like shopping at the Big Blue store with greeters. People can cross border shop with fewer taxes, but at what cost to our communities ?

Yes, I understood that in our last budget we now have a higher tax free limit. Let me rattle your head a bit. I have to drive about 150 Miles one way, 300 round trip, plus a bit around town add about another 30 miles or so. 330 miles or about 11 Imp gallons, maybe 14 or so US, about $65. That's to get me there and back, no food, no lodging for the two days (48 hours) I have to stay across the border to get the benefit, add a couple hundred for food and lodging. So I spend about $260 at a minimum just for the trip, I haven't bought anything yet. Are you beginning to see..I'll keep the $260 and spend it here and support MY country.

OK....I get it...your cheap.....LOL.... :rofl2: ...just kidding..

But you do realize when I post something like this there are many members here that live right on the boarder or come to the U.S.A. for many reasons....so I didn't just post this for you.... :)

Both goverments need to work on this passport crap.After all,we are neighbors.

I believe you guys now have the Enhanced Driver's License thing....Right... :dunno: ...I don't have a passport either but I do have the EDL thing... :)

Edited by Billy Bob

OK....I get it...your cheap.....LOL.... :rofl2: ...just kidding..

But you do realize when I post something like this there are many members here that live right on the boarder or come to the U.S.A. for many reasons....so I didn't just post this for you.... :)

Not cheap, just frugal enough to believe that I'm #1 and have to look out for my interest. If I support your country through buying and taxes, does your country support my pension, highly doubt it. That's why I tend to slightly dissect things and make them look the way they really are, not just the polished exterior that so many people get suckered into. Those that are border dwellers may profit in the short run, in the long run they don't do us any favours.

My point is "WHY" should this be BB? Were not the bad guys. :canadian:

I agree 100%......so next time over, just tell them you know me... :)

As a matter of fact we were discussing of taking down the custom inspections at work one day....that was about 3-4 months just prior to 9/11....my one buddy has race horses in Fort Erie and I mentioned what a hassle it is to stop and tell them where I was born and how long I'm going to stay in Canada....I thought "who cares where I was born, etc..." but then 9/11 happened and now we live in this era.... :wallbash:

Edited by Billy Bob

Not cheap, just frugal enough to believe that I'm #1 and have to look out for my interest. If I support your country through buying and taxes, does your country support my pension, highly doubt it. That's why I tend to slightly dissect things and make them look the way they really are, not just the polished exterior that so many people get suckered into. Those that are border dwellers may profit in the short run, in the long run they don't do us any favours.

SO....when is the last time you purchased something that was NOT made in China.....it's a global economy....at least they keep telling us that....so make it work for you.....not you work for it.