Spring Pike Report

Djeep

So with the prespawn pike season coming to a close in most areas, I was wondering how the OFC members made out this year with the unusual weather. In years past, spring pike reports were plentiful so I know theres some gator hunters out there.

Heres the biggest I got, from lake ontario. Lets see your catches! I didnt get a 40" like i was hoping haha hopefully someone else did!

GOPR0231.jpg

Heres a video I made of the trip with the GoPro, most of you will recognize the area!

Post up your spring pike :canadian:

Pike fishing has been great for me over the past 2 weeks or so. A little over 20 fish in about 10 trips. No 40" for me either, but most in the 28 - 32 " range and a small handful larger.

The clackin minnows have been deadly, especially when the water muddies up...

DSCF1032.jpg

One of the nicer fish...

DSCF1033.jpg

Many days, especially the colder windier days, a big sucker under a float is about the only thing that will produce.

Double check on the MNR website that your favourite spots are indeed zone 20. A few spots I fish are actually in zone 17 and remain open.

Edited by Joeytier

Nice ones. Nothing for me yet this year, but I was only out twice.

Double check on the MNR website that your favourite spots are indeed zone 20. A few spots I fish are actually in zone 17 and remain open.

Yeah, just about anything north and east of Frenchman's Bay is Zone 17. FB itself is Zone 20, so until May 5th it's nothing for me without a drive. :wallbash:

I'm seriously jealous of these reports. I only got out twice and never to my hotspots and I missed that really warm window. Nothing but lure washing for me. Hopefully when the season opens up again there are still some big girls hanging out in the shallows.

Edited by fishgreg

Nice fat pike. This was my first year targeting pre-spawn pike. Got out twice on lake Ontario and got skunked. Fished a smaller inland lake one time and managed 3 pike in one afternoon but nothing picture worthy.

Just getting dailed in on Lake Ontario shorelines and bays for Pike with the umbrella rig and it closed Mar 31..... or so I thought.

Just had a hard look at the map boundry details between FMZ 20 and FMZ 17 Pike open year round. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Harrison

Are you saying Lake O shorelines fall under FMZ 17 regulations? I did not think this was the case but I have been wrong before.

No sir, the shorelines are not open. However, in some of the areas I fish east and west of me the 20 boundry does not follow in shore the same as it does in other areas.

Edited by Harrison

• 3 years later...

hey everyone , been trying to land a pike for some time now. I have only ever had one on and it was a fluke. the thing hit a wakey set up and with no leader easily broke the line. I have had some follow(4) down in the harbors(whitby / osh) but nothing ever took . just wondering what they are going after in the spring time . I think i have tried everything. and when i say try i mean like 8 hours in a day straight then again the next day . Im not looking for honey holes or anything like that maybe just what time of day may be better? any help would be great . Another few weeks till i can hit the trailer in the kawarthas and start pulling in bass.

thanks guys

everything is closed now, come opener in may, look for pike in the shallows trying to warm up. Science says pike will do anything to stay in the 18 degree celcius zone, meaning the later in the summer the deeper the big ones go. at that time find deeper weed beds and toss spoons. Pike will basically hit anything that moves, its just a matter of finding them.